US Politics: Culture Club

Kalbear

Didn't watch the debate but saw on Twitter that someone edited Delaney's Wikipedia page to say died July 30 2019 after getting destroyed by Elizabeth Warren, which I think we can all agree is a pretty solid comedy Wikipedia edit.  A special little place in the sclerotic troll ventricle of my heart for that one 

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

He also says 'he should investigate himself'. Are you thinking that this means that he, himself, should investigate? Because that's not the common way that parses.

To be fair, this point assumes Trump speaks English.

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

People are seriously liking the crazy lady?

The Crazy Lady???

THE CRAZY LADY?????????

That's Future President Crazy Lady to you!

And I don't think she's crazy. She's a disgusting con artist. Quite literally the Democratic Trump. Trouble is she's not a gibbering idiot and folks are mindfucked these days.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

While I reiterate that the double post does not require apology, I apologize for so many posts tonight. 

Has anyone mentioned that I have missed that there seems to continue to be a rash of GOP retirements in the House.  I remember some of you nerds and some of the other nerds like 538 telling me that this was good do the Dems the more this happened.  So if it's happening more is this a tea leaves thing?*

*If it is, who among yee will be so disgraceful as to not actually go out and vote in 2020 no matter what?**

**if you're in California, it sound like it literally might not matter

On 7/30/2019 at 8:01 AM, DMC said:

House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami

Republican strategists say they are bracing for a new wave of exits after members check in with their families over the August recess. Two dozen Republicans won their reelection bids in 2018 by fewer than 5 percentage points; another 25 won by fewer than 10 points.

“There are going to be a lot more [retirements] to come,” said one consultant who works for House Republicans. “Between people finding themselves having to actually work hard for the first time in their long, lazy careers and members who came in in the majority and now hate life in the minority, it's just getting started.”

Since I posted that, Mike Conaway also announced his retirement.  Of course, his district is R+32.

20 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

And I don't think she's crazy. She's a disgusting con artist. Quite literally the Democratic Trump. Trouble is she's not a gibbering idiot and folks are mindfucked these days.

Those aren’t mutually exclusive. One can be both a nutter and an effective con artist. Or has her message of love blinded you Jace? Do I need to rake my tongue across your right cheek to snap you back to reality?

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

If there's any doubt Williamson is the Democratic Trump, I submit to you Drudge's post-debate poll, in which 47% of readers said she "won."

The difference though is that rolling into the debates, Trump was already polling at 15-20%; Williamson is polling at 1%. If she starts picking up support, then she becomes the Democratic Trump. If people think she won but they stick with their current candidates, she's not the same.

26 minutes ago, Fez said:

The difference though is that rolling into the debates, Trump was already polling at 15-20%; Williamson is polling at 1%. If she starts picking up support, then she becomes the Democratic Trump. If people think she won but they stick with their current candidates, she's not the same.

I did mean she had any type of chance, in the slightest.  I was speaking stylistically.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

What was truly weird in a particularly United States situation, is, without any person of color on that stage, this white millionaire 67-year-old lady was the sole representation for African Americans.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What was truly weird in a particularly United States situation, is, without any person of color on that stage, this white millionaire 67-year-old lady was the sole representation for African Americans.

Remember when she made her comment about how she lived in like a gated neighborhood and what happened to flint would never happen to her home and the audience wasn't sure if that made them like her?

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Remember when she made her comment about how she lived in like a gated neighborhood and what happened to flint would never happen to her home and the audience wasn't sure if that made them like her?

Did not notice that -- other than me thinking I didn't grow up in Grosse Point by any means, but what happened in Flint couldn't have happened on our farm either.  For one thing -- it was either the township or the country, i.e. employees of some state agency (too young at the time to have gotten that clear), came every year to every farm to test the water of the farm's well from which our water supply -- very 'hard,' i.e. filled with minerals -- was continuing to be safe.  At some point while digging a new well and sewer system, that same person came to inspect to be sure it was located correctly, etc.

I'm sure those days are long gone, even out there in totally white trumpistalandia.  You know, total waste of Our Precious White Dollars, to keep up these terrific preventive measures against typhoid and cholera.  No more public vaccination programs either!  Which, btw, isn't Williamson an anti-vaxxer too?

It was interesting listening to the public radio station's morning discussions about last night, that the many enthusiastic callers who thought Williamson was the best, and 'won,' were all women, and they all had voices and inflections and intonation and language like hers.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Did not notice that -- other than me thinking I didn't grow up in Grosse Point by any means, but what happened in Flint couldn't have happened on our farm either.  For one thing -- it was either the township or the country, i.e. employees of some state agency (too young at the time to have gotten that clear), came every year to every farm to test the water of the farm's well from which our water supply -- very 'hard,' i.e. filled with minerals -- was continuing to be safe.  At some point while digging a new well and sewer system, that same person came to inspect to be sure it was located correctly, etc.

I'm sure those days are long gone, even out there in totally white trumpistalandia.  You know, total waste of Our Precious White Dollars, to keep up these terrific preventive measures against typhoid and cholera.  No more public vaccination programs either!  Which, btw, isn't Williamson an anti-vaxxer too?

It was interesting listening to the public radio station's morning discussions about last night, that the many enthusiastic callers who thought Williamson was the best, and 'won,' were all women, and they all had voices and inflections and intonation and language like hers.

15 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

All hail Marianne Williamson, who will ride the white soccer mom demographic to the nomination.

Technically, it's the wine-yoga mom demographic.

Also, she'll get the meme vote demographic who won't pass up a chance to say that they voted for love and psychic energies in 2020.

13 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Didn't watch the debate but saw on Twitter that someone edited Delaney's Wikipedia page to say died July 30 2019 after getting destroyed by Elizabeth Warren, which I think we can all agree is a pretty solid comedy Wikipedia edit.  A special little place in the sclerotic troll ventricle of my heart for that one 

It's interesting, tho, how many outlets are claiming he held up in that exchange and came out the better for it. I didn't see the debates, but I did see exchanges with him and Warren (and Sanders), and I thought he came off terribly. 538's podcast said he came out strong though. I don't know why I still listen to that one.

6 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

It's interesting, tho, how many outlets are claiming he held up in that exchange and came out the better for it. I didn't see the debates, but I did see exchanges with him and Warren (and Sanders), and I thought he came off terribly. 538's podcast said he came out strong though. I don't know why I still listen to that one.

I didn't see the entire debate, but I thought he performed reasonably well.  Warren came out with the much better sound bite, but on the whole he was decent.  He avoided just fading into the background, which is more than I can say about Hickenlooper or O'Rourke or Klobuchar. 

Archived