Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

10 hours ago, redriver said:

Pretty obvious "twist" in the first,but yes worth a look.

Are the other language versions connected or are they the same material? 

Show looks Ideal for fans of line of duty where the interviews were always highlights

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is Dark Phoenix some how even worse than Last stand? Good god that was a trash movie. 

I still haven't watched Dark Phoenix yet, I may not ever actually. Hate seeing what happened to this franchise.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I still haven't watched Dark Phoenix yet, I may not ever actually. Hate seeing what happened to this franchise.

It exists solely in the "watch for free on an airplane" category. I can't justify not telling people how bad it is and give it none of your monies.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:30 PM, williamjm said:

I went to see Ad Astra today, which I thought was good overall but perhaps not without some issues. It's got a slightly weird mix of introspective character moments and tense action scenes. The performances are good, particularly a restrained performance by Brad Pitt in the lead role - I did feel the narration we get during the film was maybe a bit unnecessary because I think he did a good enough job of showing what he was feeling without needing to tell us as well. It does look spectacular as Pitt journeys across the solar system, and has a good soundtrack as well. The overall shape of the plot was fine (it works a lot better than in Interstellar, for example) but there were times when it felt a bit contrived.

Reveal hidden contents

The ape attack on the space station was tense but it did feel like an unlikely diversion. Considering how important Pitt's mission was to the continued existence of the solar system they shouldn't really have been distracted by it and he definitely shouldn't be the one going on board.

I saw it this weekend too, even though I said I would wait to see what others said. Visually it was pretty good, others have shown space better though. Well, I wish I had waited. I'm not going to say this is a bad movie at all, just not for me.  @williamjm have to agree with this.

Spoiler

The whole distress call was just a waste of time. Was just there to show us the weakness in the co captain so Pitt could take over later on and be the hero.  Also the whole moon sequence also felt flat and useless. The shoot out between the renegade buggies was just not good.

Again, this is likely just a personal preference thing, maybe others like this style of movie more than me.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It exists solely in the "watch for free on an airplane" category. I can't justify not telling people how bad it is and give it none of your monies.

Between ST’s dodgy American accent, Jessica CHastain’s deadpan acting and paper thin character, lack of development for any other character and a plotline bland enough to set me to snoozing, i’d be hard pressed to find anything to praise about this film.

I guess the space scene looked cool?

38 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Between ST’s dodgy American accent, Jessica CHastain’s deadpan acting and paper thin character, lack of development for any other character and a plotline bland enough to set me to snoozing, i’d be hard pressed to find anything to praise about this film.

I guess the space scene looked cool?

I thought it was utterly forgettable up until the train action sequence. Worse than apocalypse? I'm not sure but it's easily as bad.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:28 PM, Veltigar said:

Saw the last episode of Peaky Blinders. Not very pleased with it, although I'm guessing there are two things most people here will go apeshit over

Reveal hidden contents

1. The return of Tom Hardy. it might be bullocks, but God I was cheering to have him back. His Alfie is so much better than Hardy's lead role in his own dreary BBC series, give the man a spin-off!

2. Aidan Gillen got brutally murdered. A shame, I liked Aberama

All in all it was a bit of a shocker as it really did not follow the mold of earlier seasons. Curious to see how it continuous. 

I saw the second to last episode on iPlayer before I saw the last one live, on the second to last one, my wife turned to me and asked, “Did they let you pick the music for this or something?”:P.

Last episode:

Spoiler

I was really hoping Abariah was going to get his way and kill the Billy Boys leader and was sad when he didn’t.

I don’t know why but I loathe him much more than even Moseley, who at least came across as eloquent even if he was a fascist asshole, the Billy Boys though I was willing Abariah or Arthur to end him couldn’t stand the guy!.

I’ve also recently finished Mindhunter, which I absolutely loved.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:37 AM, Astromech said:

I'll probably start watching Netflix's new series Criminal. Looks interesting.

I am confused by this series - there are are multiple versions of this set in different places? Are they independent of each other? Is there an order to watch them in? What's the story?

7 hours ago, Isis said:

I am confused by this series - there are are multiple versions of this set in different places? Are they independent of each other? Is there an order to watch them in? What's the story?

There are 12 episodes with three episodes for each of 4 different countries, UK, Spain, France and Germany. Written by and starring local talent. From what I've read, it sounds like the episodes are all stand-alone. I haven't started watching it yet, though.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

There are 12 episodes with three episodes for each of 4 different countries, UK, Spain, France and Germany. Written by and starring local talent. From what I've read, it sounds like the episodes are all stand-alone. I haven't started watching it yet, though.

Cheers. I am on holiday next week, chilling out, so I might give it a chance then.

I finished Ken Burns's Country Music. Enjoyed it but prefer his documentaries on specific events. I would've loved some further elaboration on certain artists, but understand why he focused on the major artists. Such great music, and loved learning more about the roots and evolution of the umbrella genre.

12 hours ago, Isis said:

Cheers. I am on holiday next week, chilling out, so I might give it a chance then.

I just watched all of the UK segment in one go. Really good. Mainly due to the performances of Tennant and Atwell (who i barely recognised at first). The last one is interesting as it's possibly open to interpretation as to what just went down. There's also some nice continuity between episodes with little details. 

A lot of reviews suggest the Spanish and German versions are even better. While they are all stand alone one suggestion is to watch UK, France, Spain and finally Germany. I'll try that order and see.

Archived