Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

15 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Please let me play as an Orc mage.

I don't care if I have to reroll for an hour straight to get a high starting character.

Not like I haven't done it before.

You'll almost certainly be able to play as a half-orc and maybe a full orc later on.

I want to see how they're going to handle the starting stats. The BG thing on rerolling until you get high stats - the base D&D 2E way of rolling up characters - is very much out of favour these days in favour of point pools.

I don’t know what to play lately, so I decided to start a HZD new game+ on ultra hard to try and platinum it. This might’ve been a mistake as trying to get 15 Blazing Suns in the Hunting Grounds has been such a pain in the ass. Fucking Glinthawks. I’ve turned to YouTube for help with no shame. 

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

You'll almost certainly be able to play as a half-orc and maybe a full orc later on.

I want to see how they're going to handle the starting stats. The BG thing on rerolling until you get high stats - the base D&D 2E way of rolling up characters - is very much out of favour these days in favour of point pools.

And how they do multiplayer.

I enjoyed being able to create and role-play as only one character in the enhanced editions.

As long as you can tolerate the constant pauses as people set up their attacks.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

how playable are these games on the phone? I've often considered this but always convince myself the controls would be clumsy. Games on my hit list would be chrono trigger (never played as it was never released in UK at the time) and secret of mana series - although there are remastered versions of those now.

Depends on the game honestly.  I've got several.  I consider Lunar to be nigh unplayable (I originally played that on the Sega CD and was really hoping to get a nostalgia kick, but the game just isn't good now.)  The DQ games are fantastic though.  Crono Trigger is also good.  I like most of the FF adaptations, but VII is a bit clunky.  Basically, the simpler the game the easier the translation to the phone.  I do wish they had the original FFIV for the phone rather than the 3Dish update.  Its okay, but I miss the original.  :dunno: 

I also really like the newer throwback games that have popped up like Dragon Fantasy.  It hit all the right nostalgia notes with some good comedy.

5 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I'm in a game rut.  I have bought a new game called Greedfall.  Never heard of it but it looks like the sort of game I would like.  We'll see what happens.

It's the budget version of classic Bioware, but not as good. It is far and away the best game that Spiders, the studio, has made though, and they've been trying to become the next Bioware for a while. I think that helped inflate its review score too, people have been desperate for more of that kind of third-person RPG and Greedfall is at least serviceable.

I remember a review of Greedfall that compared it some of the jankier and slower-to-start BioWares (like Jade Empire and the first Mass Effect) where you go, "I'm not sure this is good" until about 1-2 hours in, when you go, "Oh, this is pretty good!", except in this game it's more like, "This is actual bollocks" followed by "Oh, this is acceptably medicore!"

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

And how they do multiplayer.

I enjoyed being able to create and role-play as only one character in the enhanced editions.

As long as you can tolerate the constant pauses as people set up their attacks.

The Divinity games (using the same engine) are designed with 2-player and 2-4-player co-op specifically in mind, so I have no worries on the multiplayer front at all. It should be very tight.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Depends on the game honestly.  I've got several.  I consider Lunar to be nigh unplayable (I originally played that on the Sega CD and was really hoping to get a nostalgia kick, but the game just isn't good now.)  The DQ games are fantastic though.  Crono Trigger is also good.  I like most of the FF adaptations, but VII is a bit clunky.  Basically, the simpler the game the easier the translation to the phone.  I do wish they had the original FFIV for the phone rather than the 3Dish update.  Its okay, but I miss the original.  :dunno: 

I also really like the newer throwback games that have popped up like Dragon Fantasy.  It hit all the right nostalgia notes with some good comedy.

I might have to give them a try. Could be a good time-sink when on the go.

I've been kinda feeling a gaming rut recently too. Been playing a few different indie games that have been alright, but been hard to sink my teeth into. And still doing Hades runs every once-in-a-while. But ever since I finished my Witcher 3 replay I've been kinda aimless.

Was thinking of maybe getting the re-release/upgraded Rune Factory 4 for Switch. Anyone play the original version? How does it compare to Stardew Valley?

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I've been kinda feeling a gaming rut recently too. Been playing a few different indie games that have been alright, but been hard to sink my teeth into. And still doing Hades runs every once-in-a-while. But ever since I finished my Witcher 3 replay I've been kinda aimless.

Was thinking of maybe getting the re-release/upgraded Rune Factory 4 for Switch. Anyone play the original version? How does it compare to Stardew Valley?

I never played the original but I did pull the trigger on the switch version. I like it, but it is different. For one thing your farm is much smaller. like maybe just 10x20 I didn't count it. It seems to have more of a plot than Stardew. The combat is better and something about it reminds me of Secret of Mana. 

I'd say it's not a farming game but an action-rpg with farming. and a lot of "getting to know the neighbors" stuff. But I've barely scratched the surface. 

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I might have to give them a try. Could be a good time-sink when on the go.

Another one I really like for its old school gameplay is Final Fantasy Dimensions.  (Not Dimensions 2... that's totally something else.)  Heavy on the Job Class.

14 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I'm in a game rut.  I have bought a new game called Greedfall.  Never heard of it but it looks like the sort of game I would like.  We'll see what happens.

I got Greedfall during the Winter Sale, and it has so much going for it, but ultimately, it fell flat for me. I played about 15 hours and just kind of lost interest. I don't know. It was missing the spark of older Bioware games which I feel like served as its model. I think a lot of people really love it, so I hope you do too!

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have all those games on my phone.  I’d love for VII to be made available.  I only played it once when it first came out.

Me too--and I never beat it. I remember I had over a hundred hours and it slowly phased out. I was probably close to the end.

19 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Looks shnazzy and all and I've read some gameplay bits and bobs about how it's all D and D and such.  But thwat's this got to do wit hthe Bhaalspawn?

I was pretty excited for this game, but I read it is turn based. I just struggle to enjoy the Divinity Original Sin games, so finding out those guys developed this makes me think I'll wait for a big sale if I get it at all.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

how playable are these games on the phone? I've often considered this but always convince myself the controls would be clumsy. Games on my hit list would be chrono trigger (never played as it was never released in UK at the time) and secret of mana series - although there are remastered versions of those now.

I haven't played Chrono Trigger on the phone, but I've played Dragon Quest 3 and 5 (both games I've loved), and I found the phone controls to be cumbersome for about ten minutes, but once I got it, I loved it. The only time it becomes difficult are on those sections of dungeons where you need to carefully navigate holes in the floor, but even in those rare cases, it's not bad at all. It's great being able to have those games on my phone when I'm out and waiting for something and bored. Or if I'm on one of my twelve hour days on campus, it's great to play for thirty minutes and just shut my brain down.

Edit: Dragon Quest 5 was originally a super NES game I believe, as is Chrono Trigger. Overall, it'd probably not be too bad on the phone, but Chrono Trigger has some mini games that might be difficult on the phone. I know in Dragon Quest 3, the most difficult part of the game was landing with my flying bird, so anything that requires some precision (I'm thinking about Sabin's blitz attacks in Final Fantasy 6 specifically) would probably be frustrating. 

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Another one I really like for its old school gameplay is Final Fantasy Dimensions.  (Not Dimensions 2... that's totally something else.)  Heavy on the Job Class.

Haven't heard of that one, will have a look along with dragon quest games.

Thanks for the detailed response about controls @Simon Steele that's kind of what I thought that some elements could be fiddly. 

Greedfall is okay.  I haven't even left the first town yet, though.  I was going back and forth between Greedfall and Styx.  I wanted a game I hadn't played before.  Greedfall won out when I read someone online saying it was Dragon Age and Dragon's Dogma put together.  Sounds good.  I'm not sure this is the one that will get me out of my game funk but it's fairly enjoyable for now. 

Anyone know when Biomutant is coming out if ever?

11 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

The devs actually put out a statement a few weeks ago, basically just a proof-of-life thing saying "Hey, we're still working on this. We don't have a release date yet though." I don't even remember when I put that thing on my Steam wishlist. We'll see. I'm not particularly optimistic at this point that it'll be good; more expecting a rushed, half-finished thing so they can just say they're done with it. Hope I'm wrong.

I held off on Rune Factory 4. It may be lots of fun, but it just looked a little too mobile-y (I know it was a 3DS game originally) compared to Stardew Valley. Or even My Time at Portia. Instead, I decided to start a replay off Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'll see if it can hold my interest the way my Witcher 3 replay did. I'm not sure if time has been quite as kind to it though. Also, I played it twice already, at release and again in I think in 2016. So it might not feel as fresh an experience.

42 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I bought Destiny 2 at Disc Replay earlier today, and currently downloading it.

I had fun with it around launch.  Have not played it in a while.

22 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I had fun with it around launch.  Have not played it in a while.

I had fun with it in the fall when the game was released for free. I was just thinking about today how it suddenly fell off my radar, though I put an obscene amount of time into it. I think it's a lot of fun if you enjoy grinding. And I do.

15 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Greedfall is okay.  I haven't even left the first town yet, though.  I was going back and forth between Greedfall and Styx.  I wanted a game I hadn't played before.  Greedfall won out when I read someone online saying it was Dragon Age and Dragon's Dogma put together.  Sounds good.  I'm not sure this is the one that will get me out of my game funk but it's fairly enjoyable for now. 

That's how I felt about Greedfall too. Extraordinarily ordinary. It gets better when you get out of the first town, but it just never took off for me. I feel like Spiders is on the verge of breaking the code and making a great RPG, but the two games I've played so far just aren't there yet.

And I'm done with DA:I. It appears I simply do not have the patience anymore for the mass filler quests. And, having played it twice already (though most recently was 4 years ago), I remember the characters and plot points too well; so there's no excitement from the parts that aren't filler. Ah well.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

And I'm done with DA:I. It appears I simply do not have the patience anymore for the mass filler quests. And, having played it twice already (though most recently was 4 years ago), I remember the characters and plot points too well; so there's no excitement from the parts that aren't filler. Ah well.

I can buy Geralt picking his own flowers in The Witcher because he's a loner but if I'm the leader of a massive Inquisition there should really be someone else doing the menial labor.

Archived