COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

Best explanation I've seen of the theory behind the approach countries like the UK, Sweden, Germany, etc. are taking:

I think the fact that northern countries have longer flu seasons may be another factor in all this. Italy might think that once the weather warms, it'll speed the eradication of spread, but the Nordic countries are looking at what's likely to be a cool/mild spring right now and that means the season will continue longer...

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Sweden's likely to be at this stage in a couple of weeks, I suppose.

It took us only two weeks. Two weeks ago people returned from their holiday of Italy, ... and they brought the virus back. 

And actually Belgium should also close their shops now during the week because the French will now go to Belgium to the shops, ...

And Netherlands and Germany should also take those measures because Belgian people go to their countries. 

This are the Belgian idiots. My sister is one of them. She want to a restaurant until midnight yesterday and she is planning tomorrow to climb with a groep of eight people. 

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Italy might think that once the weather warms, it'll speed the eradication of spread

According to the thinking now, they shouldn't think so.  Covid-19 doesn't seem to work that -- it isn't a flu, after all.

Saw on CNN breaking news that it is being discussed by the Squatter et al. about closing down travel to and from some places in the US.

Well, my husband's been sick the past week - hacking cough, low grade fever on and off, exhaustion.  I called the doctor to get some guidance and was told they're not seeing anyone in the office and the doc would call me back.  Long story short, if his resting heart rate is 100 beats a minute or higher, or he experiences shortness of breath, just take him straight to the hospital.  Whether or not it's Covid-19, who the hell knows.  It hasn't seemed to affect his appetite at all.  Last night he wanted seafood lo mein (!)  

I had heard that if you got your flu vaccine, your symptoms may be lighter.  Anyone else know anything about that?  And if so, wonder how the anti-vaxxers feel about their decision now.

Our local grocery store has been cleaned out of the oddest things - bananas, apples, meat, snack foods, and other stuff.  Very surreal.  

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw that Denmark has closed it’s land, sea and air borders.

My cousin was due to fly to Denmark for a weekend break yesterday. I've been frantically calling him on and off since this news and he wasn't picking up so I had visions of him stuck somewhere. 

Turns out he decided to cancel because of the situation and spend the weekend in the Lakes. He didn't pick up because he had no signal. :rolleyes:why am I like this? 

Somehow I missed that Boris Johnson is willing to kill up to a million britishers to create covid-19 herd immunity for the future (see how well that level of fatality worked on creating swift herd immunity in the 1350's).  Plus t is still letting flights from Britain into the US without doing any checking at all!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/boris-johnson-has-turned-britain-into-a-petri-dish-for-coronavirus?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Somehow I missed that Boris Johnson is willing to kill up to a million britishers to create covid-19 herd immunity for the future (see how well that level of fatality worked on creating swift herd immunity in the 1350's).  Plus t is still letting flights from Britain into the US without doing any checking at all!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/boris-johnson-has-turned-britain-into-a-petri-dish-for-coronavirus?

Stop reading that website

You know how in all the zombie movies, there's always that one idiot who's been bitten, but hides it from everyone because they're in denial? 

Well, we went and elected THAT guy President of the United States.

Sorry about that.

Israel just banned gathering of more than 10 people (and gathering of less than 10 people should have 2 meters distance between everybody), closed down coffee shop/ restaurants that do not deliver, we still have buses but i guess they will be closed really soon. (For reference, we have currently 178 recorded cases.) I really hope that it will be enough (we went from 20 cases to almost 200 really fast). I decided to self quarantine for at least the next 2 weeks (i have enough food, i don't have enough coffee but i'll manage without)

Well, my husband's been sick the past week - hacking cough, low grade fever on and off, exhaustion.  I called the doctor to get some guidance and was told they're not seeing anyone in the office and the doc would call me back.  Long story short, if his resting heart rate is 100 beats a minute or higher, or he experiences shortness of breath, just take him straight to the hospital.  Whether or not it's Covid-19, who the hell knows.  It hasn't seemed to affect his appetite at all.  Last night he wanted seafood lo mein (!)  

I just have been having almost those exact symptoms. When it started, I was blaming winter allergies, not without reason, as I've had them severely more than once this very winter. The exhaustion part hit Wednesday night, around dinner. I suddenly found myself listlessly laying in bed. The usual me would be hugely bored with this activity, but was I so fatigued that it felt good, just laying there and not sleeping. I woke up early the next morning as I had planned, had set an alarm. Then I did more of this listlessly laying around until finally getting up at 1030 am. Even then I was blaming winter allergies, as I found articles confirming winter allergies can do this as they interfere with sleep. (My coughing had snuck on me as growing worse, too)

Anyway, the light fever, coughing, exhaustion, no loss of appetite or nausea. I did a virtual visit and they said I have a cold is all. The only real other symptom was pains in the back of my hands. I was blaming it on carpal tunnel syndrome from the job though. I'm still not even sure if it was related to this.  This is still ongoing, but I think the worst may be over, whatever it was. Fortunately I'm 43, so I'm not in the worse danger categories.

I made the best out of the situation though by going sober.

Oh my, 4 more cruise ships quarantined! One is the Braemar (?) run by the Olsen company and full of, guess what, British tourists, 5 of whom have tested positive! In the Caribbean, 25 miles off the Grand Bahamas.

Two other ships are off the coast of South America, and I’ll need to look up details. They didn’t say where the 4th was. Maybe it’s there too.

I just searched the topic and nothing’s up yet that I can find.

I’m trying to get on top of my Coronavirus anxiety, so here are some beautiful ideas that flourished from the current situation: 

- after theaters were locked down a few days ago, a facebook campaign started with the hashtag “don’t refund your ticket” in order to support artists through this financially challenging period

- in turn, as schools were ordered to be locked down from Monday, theatre actors rallied in tele-education Facebook groups offering teachers help to read and record literature pieces students are supposed to be studying 

- several graphic design artists released Instagram gifs to encourage staying at home with the most adorable and heartwarming native messages, these gifs are now used by cafes as they announce closing down, singers as they announce the postponing of their concerts 

- there’s also an idea circulating on Facebook that involves putting out a sheet of paper in buildings for people to sign up for medicine and grocery pickups for the elderly residents of buildings so they don’t need to leave their home. 

- care packages including food, fruit and sweets are being delivered to the hospital where our infected are being treated, and some people attached a large banner onto the hospital building that reads “all eyes in the country are on you, thank you for taking care of us” 

It really is touching to see that humanity, after all, is capable of compassion and sticking together. For the most part. 

If you have any similar stories, which I’m sure every city has, please do share, I’d love to hear it and I believe we all need to see at least half a ray of sunshine among the clouds. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I know there were a lot of people linking that medium article and saying how great it was. That guy was on tv yesterday and I honestly have zero faith in much of what he is saying. He doesn’t actually appear to be an expert at all.

Uh. The This Is Not A Snow Day article at Medium? This guy?

Asaf Bitton MD, MPH, is an assistant professor of medicine at the Division of General Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and assistant professor of health care policy at the Department of Health Care Policy at Harvard Medical School. He is the Executive Director Ariadne Labs, taking over from Dr. Atul Gawande in May 2019.

6 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Uh. The This Is Not A Snow Day article at Medium? This guy?

Asaf Bitton MD, MPH, is an assistant professor of medicine at the Division of General Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and assistant professor of health care policy at the Department of Health Care Policy at Harvard Medical School. He is the Executive Director Ariadne Labs, taking over from Dr. Atul Gawande in May 2019.

No, he's called Tomas Pueyo. People posted links to his article a couple of times in the last thread. This appears to be an updated version.

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

No, he's called Tomas Pueyo. People posted links to his article a couple of times in the last thread. This appears to be an updated version.

I did not read the takedown article, but isn’t what he says based on, you know, math?

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I did not read the takedown article, but isn’t what he says based on, you know, math?

He's making some pretty significant extrapolations from the limited information that we currently have available. I really have no idea how right or wrong he is but if people with epidemiology and public health expertise are disagreeing with his conclusions I'd take what he's saying with a pinch of salt even if he does have some nice looking graphs.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

He's making some pretty significant extrapolations from the limited information that we currently have available. I really have no idea how right or wrong he is but if people with epidemiology and public health expertise are disagreeing with his conclusions I'd take what he's saying with a pinch of salt even if he does have some nice looking graphs.

There is a substantial body of statistics out there and I don’t thing that you need to be a virologist to see patterns.

Archived