Sign in to follow this  
Which Tyler

COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

l Germany is closing the borders with Switzerland, France and Austria. 

Why not Poland as well?

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Some countries are taking different measures. In some, they are asking or ordering banks to suspend mortgage payments for 2-3 months, asking companies not to issue bills for 2-3 months etc. Apple have said they won't charge for the use of its services for a month. Online companies are giving away services they normall pay for for free.

Private rental agreements are going to be killer though, but if the problem becomes widespread it may not be practical for landlords to evict tenants en masse. If the tenant is also suffering from the illness, they can just cough at the landlord to keep them away from the property. But for landlords who do rely on that income, it could also be a problem.

If I dont get rent for 3 months I will start to really feel it. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why not Poland as well?

Because there is the situation less dangerous? 

I am not sure why they didn't close to borders with Belgium. It will be there the Belgian people will go to the restaurant now the Netherlands will also close their bars and shops.

Our ministers and authorities are really begging people not to hold parties, ... 

Edited by Tijgy

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

They're kinda like the people welcoming the arrival of the aliens in Independence Day. 

I’m watching CNN and all the Americans were saying they saw restaurants and bars were crowded last night as well. That’s exactly how the virus is going to spread.

It was also pointed out that 300 ICU patients in France are younger than 50.

2 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Because Poland already closed the border with Germany :p

Ah, that’s why I didn’t ask about Denmark.

I also heard in the radio that they want to prevent stockpiling by non Germans in the area which border to these countries. According to my local newspaper there were shortages in these areas. I live near the border to Switzerland and even in "normal" times there are a lot of Swiss which go grocery shopping in Germany because of the lower prizes. And this was now intensified.

NYC had 25 confirmed cases a week ago, today they added 269 cases for a total of 613 positive cases.

Second and third deaths in Sweden, in fairly rapid succession. Both older people with comorbidities, as was the first. More to come in the following days. We also had our second person officially listed as recovered, but haven’t got any information on it.

There are distributed computing programs you can download like [email protected] to help with coronavirus research.

Although it would be awesome if the servers used for streaming and other forms of entertainment would be used for that. Nobody really needs stadia or netflix right now. 

I watch the Johns Hopkins tracker fairly closely and the total worldwide is about to jump over the total in China.

I lost my job back in February and had been driving Uber till I found a new one.  I’m scheduled to start work 3/30.  I emailed to confirm that is still the case on Friday and haven’t heard back.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just heard a new poll says 60% of Americans think the worst has not yet come. It begs the question, what do the other 40% think? Are they just tuned out, or do they think it’s fake news?

And just recently we were discussing the fact that many people live from pay cheque to pay cheque. How are these people going to pay rent and utilities, credit card bills, car payments, mortgage payments etc etc if everything gets shut down? Will landlords evict tenants? You know some will.

Two answers: There’s a guy here at work who thinks this will all be blown over in a month. I don’t share his optimism. 

Our gas/electric company is suspending collections for overdue accounts for the undisclosed future. The major internet company is offering free basic service to those below a certain income both so they can get news and so their children can do online schooling,  but as I said before some areas of my county are not wired for cable and have no access to WiFi. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m watching CNN and all the Americans were saying they saw restaurants and bars were crowded last night as well. That’s exactly how the virus is going to spread.

It was also pointed out that 300 ICU patients in France are younger than 50.

Thanks to our coronatourism the Netherlands closed all their restaurants and bars. Or maybe the Dutch government preferred to put the blame on the Belgians than to say it was a necessary measure. 

11 toddlers/babies are sick in Belgium.

Belgian prosecutors are now investigating possible fraud by our 'Turkish supplier' of mond masks... Bye, bye delivery :wacko::blink: 

Edited by Tijgy

13 minutes ago, Whitestripe said:

There’s a guy here at work who thinks this will all be blown over in a month. I don’t share his optimism.

There is a strategy where this all blows over in a month, but it has a staggering death toll attached to it.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I lost my job back in February and had been driving Uber till I found a new one.  I’m scheduled to start work 3/30.  I emailed to confirm that is still the case on Friday and haven’t heard back.

I’m not sure about the US but the U.K. government mentioned they had had talks with Uber and Deliveroo about supplying food from stores to people who were isolating. But to be fair, I strongly suspect the lack of other business will outweigh that.

Edited by DaveSumm

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

There is a strategy where this all blows over in a month, but it has a staggering death toll attached to it.

Could you please elaborate?

Really good presentation here on the outbreak in Wuhan and what worked in the province after the outbreak - some of those graphs after the quarantine was implemented are startling - it also raises the really good point on the issues with self isolation of potential cases, and how the Chinese had a proper system in place.

Posted (edited)

We are up to 331 confirmed cases here in Greece, and 4 fatalities. As of yesterday they've stopped testing every potential case in public hospitals. People with mild symptoms are asked to stay home and contact their doctors, because only severe respiratory cases and people with covid19 symptoms AND serious preexisting conditions will be tested from now on. So the actual case number is actually a lot higher than that, but not actively recorded. People with mild symptoms can still get tested in private clinics but a prohibitive cost to the average Greek citizen.

The government closed all schools and unis last Wednesday, in an effort to prevent Greece turning into hte next Italy, since we have the second largest elderly population in Europe. Since that day, they've also closed theaters, cinemas, playgrounds, libraries, gyms, museums, archeological sites, malls, salons, cafes, restaurants, public beaches... you name it, it's closed, but for regular stores, pharmacies and supermarkets. Everything has been cancelled. Churches are still open but that's expected to change tomorrow. Supermarkets will only allow a certain amount of people in at the same time, starting tomorrow, to avoid large crowds. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of anything on the shelves, not even toilet paper! Well, except antiseptic wipes and liquids, obviously. We've closed borders with neighboring countries and stopped flights to Italy. And Spain. I think.

People are asked to stay in, especially the elderly and all people with children. Work from home if possible. In my case, the school system was in no way prepared for online teaching and they are now scrambling to set something up, with dubious possible results. So for now, I'm sitting here minding the boys and trying not to get cabin fever already. I've been running an actual low grade fever for 3 days -probably random FirstGrader Germs. DalThor has switched both the lessons he's attending and the ones he's teaching to skype and zoom and he is fine.

We are hoping that getting such strict measures so early on will hopefully help the county avoid the worst, but it's going to be hell on the economy. Right as things were finally getting a bit better too, damn it. But it can't be helped. The State has various measures in place to help with the situation, from special paid leave for the people who have to stay home and mind their kids to a special benefit to the people who just found themselves unemployed, because their businesses had to close etc

Not everyone seems to be taking this seriously enough. The day after schools closed, playgrounds were full. After they closed the playgrounds, people flocked to parks and beaches and cafes and restaurants... so they all had to close, to help contain this. Stay home, they keep telling us. There's a hashtag and everything...  We'll see how the next week or two play out.

Edited by mashiara

Sorry to hear about your job Scot. I hope it goes ok over the next few months.