Sign in to follow this  
larrytheimp

Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Posted (edited)

As an alternative to worldwide economic disaster, how about mandatory self isolation for people over the age of 65 and for those younger people with underlying health conditions - while letting the otherwise healthy workforce aged population continue normal working life. The epidemic can then spread naturally through the younger population without the economy grinding to a halt. 

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

34 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can you not just combine the 2 bits of info yourself in excel? 

I could do some math by dividing each state's population by the number of cases for each state but it would take me a very long time.

I am hoping someone has already published the numbers somewhere. If not, I may resort to it (the calculations) myself,  because it is much more informative to me to know the concentration of cases per a 1000 or 10000 or 100, 000 of population rather than just a state's total number of cases.

Regarding excell, I'm guessing that's some computer software? I don't use a desktop, only a tablet and smartphone for me I'm afraid.

33 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

As an alternative to worldwide economic disaster, how about mandatory self isolation for people over the age of 65 and for those younger people with underlying health conditions - while letting the otherwise healthy workforce aged population continue normal working life. The epidemic can then spread naturally through the younger population without the economy grinding to a halt. 

If you change mandatory to voluntary then id say thats basically swedens approach.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:24 AM, Soylent Brown said:

No internet, which sucks, sure, but there would be plenty of grog and parrots!

You could devote your quarantine time to watching the anime One Piece which follows an aspiring young pirates quest to become Kind of the Pirates in the golden age of piracy (on his fictional world). It's currently at 924 episodes long which is probably long enough to last an entire quarantine.

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I hate to say this, because I've been through grim conversations with my parents (passed on 23 years ago and 10 years ago) but this virus will mean a lot of people need to have those conversations. 

I wasn't born the youngest of 6 to be the one stuck having this conversation with my remaining payment. That's what older siblings are for.

@HelenaExMachina not really much to add but :grouphug:

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

A lot of these people need assistance, not only physical but also emotional and psychological. Who is going to provide that? Should we isolate also those who work with them? 

Furthermore, even if the old and infirm are at high risk. The risk is not negligible for the healthy population. If you have too many infections of healthy people you will overwhelm the hospitals regardless.

I don't see easy solutions

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Even without the elderly and vulnerable, the amount of young healthy people that require hospitalisation still very easily overwhelms health care systems. And that’s if the isolation is airtight which it won’t be. So a very high death toll attached to that plan I’m afraid.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Btw, NY testing numbers shared by the governor yesterday, show 53% of those who tested positive are between 18 and 59.

But what of the people of Las Begas? 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding numbers, I asked this question in the politics thread but it's more relevant here really-

So hive mind question, I tried Google but didn't find info yet.

Question is- Does anyone know where I can view a state by state list of covid cases per capita?

Several sites list the total cases and deaths for each state, but I've yet to find a place that tells me how many cases as a percentage of population?

Is this useful to you?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2WhtIvODVjwxZEszArsVM0ypi0ZJvQ3SVjdnjuyl9ViV2IZPnIdKS5rto

You can list the table by number of cases per million people.

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

Dr. Len just said on CNN that it's partly related not to being overhwelmed per se, but that the healthcare workers running out of protective gear is a part of it.  So administering the test is itself a problem now.  What a disaster.

ETA:  I could listen to Dr. Len forever.  She has some kind of amazing quality to her voice in addition to seeming like she has great information.  

What. Have. I. Been. Telling. You?!?!?!?

But what do I know being in a hospital five days a week.....

22 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Is this useful to you?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2WhtIvODVjwxZEszArsVM0ypi0ZJvQ3SVjdnjuyl9ViV2IZPnIdKS5rto

You can list the table by number of cases per million people.

Unfortunately they only show the number of cases per million on the country table. When I click on the U.S. they leave the state cases per million off the chart, pretty disappointing.

I'm confident i"'ll find the info soon, somewhere, though. Thanks for the link.

40 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Unfortunately they only show the number of cases per million on the country table. When I click on the U.S. they leave the state cases per million off the chart, pretty disappointing.

I'm confident i"'ll find the info soon, somewhere, though. Thanks for the link.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realise you were looking for separate USA states. :leaving: 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

A lot of these people need assistance, not only physical but also emotional and psychological. Who is going to provide that? Should we isolate also those who work with them? 

Furthermore, even if the old and infirm are at high risk. The risk is not negligible for the healthy population. If you have too many infections of healthy people you will overwhelm the hospitals regardless.

I don't see easy solutions

Here in Italy we are still providing psychological support. It's not easy but we are trying with many different services.

And yes you are right, there are also a risk for younger people. But most of all younger people live or work with elder or fragile ones. And when they say persons with pre-existing  patologies they are talking about people who have common deseases, like diabetes or cardiopathy, not infirm.

Edited by Cridefea

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Go first thing, for them opening - shelves are restocked overnight so anything they have in stock will be out in the morning. Was speaking to an attendant today about it, who said stuff has usually gone after 2-3 hours. That said, I noticed that while the shelves were sparse today when I called in (for shampoo, luckily, nothing there has been a rush on) they didn't look quite as bad as they have looked. 

*deep breath*

I also had that conversation with my nanna today. She was very ill from around October/November 2018-May 2019 with various stomach problems - ulcers, cancer scares, etc. She got over that but needed carers to come in and help her look after herself - this continued until it was reviewed a week and a half ago and decided she no longer needed them. We were actually relieved by this as it meant none of her carers could bring anything into her house. 

Today we went over for a final visit, me and my mam we sat in her back garden (accessed via a side alley, didn't go through the house) and spoke to her through her conservatory windows. She told us she was so very happy to have had another year of joy that she had never expected to have after her hospitalisation and she was so grateful for everything we had done for her. Told us how proud she was of us, and how she wished my granddad could have seen me graduate and get my job because he was always so proud of me too. She told us where her will was, told us all the arrangements that had to be made had been made, told us what they were. Said she didn't care much what happened for her funeral as long as we promised to sprinkle her ashes over her family grave plot "So I can be back with him" [my granddad, who was estranged from his family and so we sprinkled his ashes in her family plot])

Told us not to worry about her, to look after ourselves and take care of each other and she loved us all so much. 

Mam and I were both in tears, naturally. 

Will continue to ring her every day. But yeah, feeling very drained right now

I’ve been and got her a weeks worth of shopping, I’m just about to head over to drop it off now.

:grouphug: I really feel for you and your gran, it’s a conversation I don’t think any of us want to have with our more elderly loved ones, I’m dreading having a similar conversation shortly, I am doing something to cheer her up a bit though, I’m going to bring my 2 year old with me to visit her, even though we can’t go too near her I know seeing her will brighten up her day a bit.

Best wishes to you and your gran I hope you’re both ok :).

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding numbers, I asked this question in the politics thread but it's more relevant here really-

So hive mind question, I tried Google but didn't find info yet.

Question is- Does anyone know where I can view a state by state list of covid cases per capita?

Several sites list the total cases and deaths for each state, but I've yet to find a place that tells me how many cases as a percentage of population?

I think you should check the number of positive tests and the number of tests already done. Because there are a lot of people who are positive but not tested, everywhere.

On my run this morning I passed Tesco's. There was a queue 50m long (this is at about quarter to 10). Around the doors people were massed up into a crowd. I don't know if it was about to open, or if they had already opened but were limiting entry. Either way, people are fucking stupid. 

:dunno:

400 deaths in Spain. I'm dreading Italy's figure, it's just a horrible indicator of us in 2 weeks time. And there is nothing we can do about that now. 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I could do some math by dividing each state's population by the number of cases for each state but it would take me a very long time.

I am hoping someone has already published the numbers somewhere. If not, I may resort to it (the calculations) myself,  because it is much more informative to me to know the concentration of cases per a 1000 or 10000 or 100, 000 of population rather than just a state's total number of cases.

Regarding excell, I'm guessing that's some computer software? I don't use a desktop, only a tablet and smartphone for me I'm afraid.

The numbers “per capita” are still very small.

3 hours ago, Leap said:

On my run this morning I passed Tesco's. There was a queue 50m long (this is at about quarter to 10). Around the doors people were massed up into a crowd. I don't know if it was about to open, or if they had already opened but were limiting entry. Either way, people are fucking stupid. 

:dunno:

Here's to you making it 54 more years, kiddo :cheers:

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The numbers “per capita” are still very small.

Not everywhere. New York has more cases per million inhabitants than Spain.