Corona Horse, Corona Rider - Covid #9

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If you assume that the electoral college get reallocated to reflect the new 10 person reality, then you just have Florida with 3 Biden and 4 Trump voters, and New York with 3 more Biden voters, and Trump wins the Electoral College in a landslide.  Hell, you could give Biden 3 more voters in New York and he'd still lose the election, in spite of winning almost 70% of the vote. 

But if you assume the electoral college is not reallocated (which by normal rules, it would not be), then there is no way to win the election with only 4 votes.  The fewest winning votes possible to be President is 11, with one voter in each of the 11 states with 14 or more EC votes to give exactly 270 electors.  Although I'm not really sure what would happen if you cannot find 270 total people to be electors, that would probably cause a problem.

I would just assume that you'd shove all of Biden's votes into one state while putting each Trump voter in a different state and then let the Congress elect him.

And that's fine. The four Republicans can die alone while the six of us have a drunken orgy and procreate. 

Update from the hospital.
So for the last week or so our login screens have changed. Now when logging in we are first asked if we’ve taken our temperatures, and if you say no it immediately locks your comp for a day and sends you home, and if you say yes (mine was oddly 96 this morning), it gives you a list of symptoms to also check. Every day the list gets longer….

Oh, and we’re out of work to do outside of one project and I’m the only one doing it as everyone else just screws around. They’re clearly keeping us here, as @Jace, Basilissa said, so they don’t lose their state and federal funding.

So of all times to have to go to the hospital, Mr. Tears and I have to go tomorrow.  He has to have a bone marrow biopsy taken.  (I know.  Scary.)  

I'm wondering if it's best to put this off until things calm down, or whether this test is best done quickly.  I suppose the hematologist wouldn't have scheduled it for this week if it wasn't a good idea to have it done quickly.

Wish us luck.

Our city today recorded NO new cases for the first time. So lock-down and testing is working!!

Statistics: city of 110000 people, enough testing capacity,  first two cases on March 13, until yesterday 122 cases altogether, one death, one in hospital in critical condition, 7 other in hospital until today

so, I realize that is not the end of the story, but it looks like it will get better!!

I have the feeling the discussion in Germany is turning in the direction of the the exit scenario (how can we open schools and shops again without worsening the numbers?), Merkel said we can reopen when we come to a number of 10 days for the doubling of cases.

Portugal has a population of 10 million and we've been on lockdown for about 3 weeks now. The number of cases here is 8251 with 187 deaths (as of today). I believe the number of new cases per day has more or less stabilized but the deaths are rising fast, with between 20 and 30 per day (though these are people who were probably infected before the lockdown). The major concern now are retirement homes. Portugal also has a very old population on average.

Today on the news they said that in Spain doctors are already choosing which people to save, basically if you're over 80 years old, and if they don't have enough beds, they won't hospitalize you in intensive care anymore...

Did a very early morning trip to the supermarket.  Tipped check-out $40.

Some things I didn't look at, like baking item, so don't know how that was, or soup / stock shelves because I wasn't going for that today.  All dairy goods available. Paper goods.  Personal hygiene items very depleted, and certain brands not there.  Juices, and so on.  Got coffee filters, but didn't check on coffee or tea -- forgot, as I never have bought mine there, but at a dedicated business. But I go now to one place only, once a week. Produce available all right, but kind of messy. Baked goods ... not what one is used to, but who is fussed about that now?

At that hour the homeless and desperate were wandering about looking for anything they could get.  No masks or gloves of course. What else are they supposed to do???????

The real problem?  The young prosperous assholes!  Running! NO DISTANCE.  They were filling, I mean really filling the sidewalks and the streets.  They are huffing and puffing their respiratory particles into the air, leaving long trails behind them.  And last night, a downstairs neighbor returned from vacation, and had over some people to drink beer. There is no frackin' way NYC is going to flatten the curve or even reopen, as long as this kind of behavior is not prohibited with enforcement.  This is here in the epicenter of the epicenter.

I made a package for across the hall mentally ill, and immune compromised neighbor of yams, baking potatoes, milk, eggs, bread, cheese, plus a container of the really delicious lentil stew I made yesterday (if I say myself!)  -- and some masks and latex gloves. She has means, but she can't go out, due to mental illness and the other conditions.  Her drive to survive though is maybe the strongest I've ever seen in anyone.

BIL -- licensed physician -- sent a medical emergency kit Fed Ex.  It arrived while groceries were being disinfected. The cardboard box is sitting outside the door.  Won't bring it in for 12 hours, I guess.  This is a good time for it to arrive.  April bringing hell come she will.

There is some evidence of stabilization of new cases and fatalities/day across some of the nations with the most reported cases:

• Italy: Peak fatalities of 919 on March 27, currently at 727. Peak new cases of 6,557 on March 21, currently at 4,782.
  • Spain: Peak fatalities of 913 on March 30, currently at 598. Peak new cases of 8,271 on March 26, currently at 6,213. 
  • Germany: Peak fatalities of 130 yesterday, today at 73 (which is the lowest daily number for a week or so). Peak new cases of 6,993 on March 27, currently at 3,946. 

France, US and the UK are of course some way off peaking on both these measures.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The US crossed the 200,000 cases mark.

Just for curiosity's sake -- why do you post all day these figures?  Surely you don't think the people who post here don't know these figures too?  I mean, I know you don't think that, particularly that the modeling is predicting that about a quarter million deaths are not in the least unlikely in the USA -- so ....?

Just now, Zorral said:

Just for curiosity's sake -- why do you post all day these figures?  Surely you don't think the people who post here don't know these figures too?  I mean, I know you don't think that, so ....?

I don't know, obsessive? Actually, I have a life long habit of staring news right in the face, good or bad. Get it out. Know it. Don't hide it. Say it. Voldemort.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Just for curiosity's sake -- why do you post all day these figures?  Surely you don't think the people who post here don't know these figures too?  I mean, I know you don't think that, particularly that the modeling is predicting that about a quarter million deaths are not in the least unlikely in the USA -- so ....?

Not speaking on @Fragile Bird's behalf, but since I do the same thing somewhat, I'll speak why I do so. 

Mainly, for me, it's a way for me to feel like I have some semblance of control over things. It's soothing in a totally weird and fucked up way.

That's just my $0.02.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

I don't know, obsessive? Actually, I have a life long habit of staring news right in the face, good or bad. Get it out. Know it. Don't hide it. Say it. Voldemort.

Keep on keepin' on. I prefer to see facts and figures as opposed to borderline incoherent rants against whatever injustice that clickbait liberalism has set its sights on most recently.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

Not speaking on @Fragile Bird's behalf, but since I do the same thing somewhat, I'll speak why I do so. 

Mainly, for me, it's a way for me to feel like I have some semblance of control over things. It's soothing in a totally weird and fucked up way.

That's just my $0.02.

Yes, well said. It's like when you lay out the numbers, look at the graphs, you have knowledge and knowledge gives you a sense of control. Totally illusionary, but soothing. I am not lost in these woods, I know where I am. I may still die, but fuck, I know where I am.

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The US crossed the 200,000 cases mark.

But Louisiana dropped back from 9 to 10 in the U.S. according to that worldometer site (by cases not deaths) :mellow:.  Meh, we’ll be back up by the end of the day.

Not saying my state is asking for it, but when I went shopping yesterday, morons were still shaking each other’s hands :tantrum: .

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

But Louisiana dropped back from 9 to 10 in the U.S. according to that worldometer site (by cases not deaths) :mellow:.  Meh, we’ll be back up by the end of the day.

Not saying my state is asking for it, but when I went shopping yesterday, morons were still shaking each other’s hands :tantrum: .

How can you trust whether or not they've got the virus without knowing the firmness of their grip?

Think before you complain, son.

28 minutes ago, Paxter said:

There is some evidence of stabilization of new cases and fatalities/day across some of the nations with the most reported cases:

• Italy: Peak fatalities of 919 on March 27, currently at 727. Peak new cases of 6,557 on March 21, currently at 4,782.
  • Spain: Peak fatalities of 913 on March 30, currently at 598. Peak new cases of 8,271 on March 26, currently at 6,213. 
  • Germany: Peak fatalities of 130 yesterday, today at 73 (which is the lowest daily number for a week or so). Peak new cases of 6,993 on March 27, currently at 3,946. 

France, US and the UK are of course some way off peaking on both these measures.

I think it’s still too early for Italy. Yes cases are a level down but still rose again from 4,053 yesterday to 4,782 today. That’s statistically significant. Problem with Italy is that there is no systematic testing which means it’s hard to evaluate a trend. I think the situation in the North is „under control“ for the moment. But we should have a more focused look on regions. The huge fear among Italians is that the South will be hit very hard in the coming weeks. And this can lead into a catastrophy much worse than what we have seen so far. Sicily, Campania, Calabria, Apulia (17 Million People) are really poor regions especially compared to the North. They lack basic health care infrastructure and resemble more a third world country (not much better level than the Balkans for example). 

11 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

How can you trust whether or not they've got the virus without knowing the firmness of their grip?

Think before you complain, son.

Ha. As if I’d listen to the advice of a Grecophile (not gonna use that other word that begins with P. Can’t spell it offhand, and ain’t gonna look it up) 

Besides, I act like everyone in the state other than me has the disease. How else would I ensure I don’t get it and spread it?

Archived