Football: The Closed Season

mormont

51 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Sure did but I appreciate how our hounding of the GK and good press placement can lead to mistakes. That is not normal Arsenal.

More than fair.

Also, West Ham disallowed a goal for no good reason, imo. Don't see how that's interference.

Just now, ljkeane said:

I’m not sure what the hell’s going on with that decision. Have they given offside just because the ball’s gone over the top of Antonio? Just give the goal ffs.

Yeah, that was bad. 3.5 minutes for that. Didn't even check if it actually hit him.

I've always been of the opinion that if a player is close enough that the keeper has to account for the possibility that he might touch it then he's interfering with play, and that obviously applied in that situation so I thought the decision was fine tbqh. Even if you put that aside, him being directly between the keeper and the ball affects the keeper's options in terms of coming out to close the space.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:18 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Meanwhile, Jos is expectedly out of the job, and we're in the market for a new manager, so basically same procedure as last year, and the year before.  It's almost like we are trying to imitate our dearest neighbours.

You’ve been linked with Daniel Stendel in the British press. His Barnsley side were up there with Wilder’s Sheffield United and Wolves as the best sides I’ve seen at League One level in the last few years, and he was pretty harshly sacked at Hannover. Then again his time in Scotland didn’t exactly go to plan.

The Rice and Soucek partnership worked really well at the base of midfield for West Ham. If they can drop Noble and build around those two - plus Haller and Antonio up front - then its the core of a decent side.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not really counting TAA or Sancho though it wouldn't shock me if he bettered them too. I think he's gonna be better than Foden.

I think next season will be make or break for Foden. He has been groomed to succeed Silva. If he is as good as Guardiola and the City staff believe, than I don't think Saka's is quite in the same bracket. But predicting footballers development is always a bit tricky. So time for the trueism, time will tell.

39 minutes ago, Philokles said:

You’ve been linked with Daniel Stendel in the British press. His Barnsley side were up there with Wilder’s Sheffield United and Wolves as the best sides I’ve seen at League One level in the last few years, and he was pretty harshly sacked at Hannover. Then again his time in Scotland didn’t exactly go to plan.

Stendel has not been linked by the local press, just yet. Personally, I am bit torn. On the one hand, I can see why the board wants to break up structure and set a new impulse around the first team (to take them out of the comfort zone), which is why they went for Luhukay. Of course, he went about it with the grace and diplomatic skills of the proverbial elephant in the porcelain store, and never quite understanding the club.  And not everything he did was bad. He promoted quite a few youngsters and got them closer to or into the first team. First and foremost Becker and Conteh obviously. And then there were also obviously the two victories over our dearest neighbours this season.

Having that said, I'd also love to see Schultz getting promoted. He has done a great job with the youth/reserve teams he has managed. Up to the point where Bayern and the DFB wanted him for their junior teams/academies. Which Schulle turned down, because he was/is quite happy with his life and didn't want to move with his family. With the obviously restricted post corona budget, quite a few more youth players will have to step up.

If you were liverpool, would you sack off going for the records and rest all your stars for next season? With the way the seasons will roll into each other, with nothing to play for I'd be resting everyone after the city game. It would be a huge advantage to get a meaningful summer break. 

Nah, fuck that, they've just had three months off. Let them play and go for records. We're out of the Champions League so that gives us at least a bit of a break.

I don't think it would do the team any good to see our kids get battered a bunch of times at the end of the season either.

I think they'll probably try to give Minamino and the young players some more game time to try and get them up and running for the start of next but, no, I don't think they'll rest first choice players en masse. Like Soylent says being out of the Champions League gives a bit more time to rest before next season and it undermines the development of the fringe players a bit if they're essentially just playing in a reserve side.

On top of that I think the defining feature of this season has been the relentlessness of it. I actually think they played a little bit better overall last season but there's just been a stubborn refusal to drop points this year that's taken us over the top, it probably wouldn't hurt just to try and carry that mindset through to next season if they can.

Might as well go for the records as the opportunity may never come again. Liverpool should break the points record for a top 5 European league currently held by Juventus (102 points). If they beat City then they will have a great chance to beat the all time points record in European top flight football set by Barry Town in the Welsh top flight (105 points). 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you were liverpool, would you sack off going for the records and rest all your stars for next season? With the way the seasons will roll into each other, with nothing to play for I'd be resting everyone after the city game. It would be a huge advantage to get a meaningful summer break. 

I wouldn't go all out to break the record and I'd rotate players a bit but I'd still try to field a competitive team in every match.

Sure, give the youngsters game time, but play them alongside more experienced players they can learn from and improve by playing with.

Other than that, I'd try to give as many players as possible enough games to earn a champion medal. 

We don't have that many youngsters worthy of time though, really. Minamino would benefit from minutes, sure, and Jones might make it, but Elliott is very young and not even close to being good enough yet, and while Williams has shown some promise, he's realistically got no chance of getting into the team.

City are the team that should be resting players after tonights game. Realistically, the only way they miss out on CL football next season is if the CAS rules against them and they still have the FA Cup and CL to compete in. 

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

City are the team that should be resting players after tonights game. Realistically, the only way they miss out on CL football next season is if the CAS rules against them and they still have the FA Cup and CL to compete in. 

That's arguably also not the best of ideas for Guardiola. He still wants his players to be ready for competitive games, when the CL* final tournament in Lisbon starts. If he now rests players/rotates too heavily, he signals, that it's ok to take the foot off the accelerator. And it's tough to find the find hte on switch again. I don't think Bayern or Leipzig are particularly happy with the schedule. They now have to wait for a month (yes, Bayern still has the domestic cup final to play) without competitive football, before playing in Lisbon, and then have to return to the league without a proper season break for the start of the new season.

I think Klopp will encourage his players to try to finish the season in a professional manner. He will be rotating a bit more and give Jones, Minamino and a few rotation options a few more games (Lallana comes to mind). As in, they worked well in training, and didn't throw a tantrum over not playing that much.

Personally, I think, Klopp should thank his lucky stars, that Liverpool are out of the CL this year. As in, their players can enjoy a break before the start of the new season. While City will be playing thru.

The mini UCL tourney is gonna so cool for neutrals to watch. I can’t wait for that. 
I’m sure Klopp will rotate a decent bit the rest of the way but I doubt he goes heavy on the youngsters. Probably just plenty of Ox, Minamino, Naby, Origi, and maybe some Lallana and Lovren. 

Archived