U.S. Politics: Only Death Can Pay For Growth

Jace, Extat

And good to see that the police force continue to contribute.

Note the behaviour of the police to the white arm band people, and the reaction of the white arm band people to other protesters:

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't speak to billionaires, I don't know any here, but there are very wealthy areas in the lakes just outside of where this happened, in the Uptown area.

And many politicians live in the area, and yes, I do know some personally. But that's not important. My city is burning, as are others. And it doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. The country is burning. 

I think you have a different perspective on this because it doesn't happen as often where you live. I'm in New York and this happens here often enough for people have it down to a routine: the protestors, rioters and looters know whom not to antagonize and the police have a network of informants and provocateurs.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Um, clearly you've never been here. Uptown is a blended area, where everyone is welcome, so long as you're not an asshole. And there are many powerful people who live here as are there very wealthy areas. Very wealthy. And there are also many dives. That's what's makes it fun. You can find anything here, and no one bothers you. Or at least that's how it's supposed to be. 

The city is boiling over because of a number of things. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm sadden that it seems to be spreading around the country. 

Correction, we welcome everyone here in uptown provided you ARE an asshole. We are the smug NPR of neighborhoods

Though Tywin is correct. It’s income wise ALL over. Josh Harnett had a multimillion dollar house in this neighborhood when people cared who he was. CEOs and politicians live here. The houses on Bde Maka Ska and Lake of the Isles are some of the most expensive in the state. You can also find punk houses where 12 people who don’t shower with antifa patches live and each pay $200 a month.

12 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Correction, we welcome everyone here in uptown provided you ARE an asshole. We are the smug NPR of neighborhoods

Lol, and this is what makes Uptown fun. You clearly have enjoyed a very different experience. And that's okay. Different isn't bad in Uptown. You just have to be willing to try new things.

17 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Though Tywin is correct. It’s income wise ALL over. Josh Harnett had a multimillion dollar house in this neighborhood when people cared who he was. CEOs and politicians live here. The houses on Bde Maka Ska and Lake of the Isles are some of the most expensive in the state. You can also find punk houses where 12 people who don’t shower with antifa patches live and each pay $200 a month.

Since we're telling fun stories, one of my best friends totally bashed his car door into his car somewhere in the area. I cannot remember what kind he said it was, but his super hot older sister had a crush on him and was mortified when she realized whose car he did that to. They both swear he just kind of laughed about it and told them no worries.

Them talking about the conversation that happened afterwards between them is hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

America is fixing itself. It's been destroyed a long time.

They're the immune system of the United States.

We just might be headed for a cytokine storm.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

:(

Yep, I've been fighting with them all day. I don't know which of us will pull the trigger on the relationship first. It's like I don't even know these people. And they're not dummies.

11 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

hmm...perhaps 'justify' his bias is a better word choice than 'hide' his bias.

See, this I object to. At least the way I read it. 

You seem to be saying that the argument is inherently biased, but that an attempt is being made to justify that bias. That still leaves the argument as biased.

The way I see it, there are two ways in which this objection is wrong. The first is that while bias is a thing, and that it may interfere with an argument, that is true for everyone always. If we go down that route, there will be bias all the way down. 

The second way it is wrong is that it focuses on the wrong part. Sure, there is bias. Even admitted bias. However, the argument is still laid out. The premises, the conclusion, the reasons for disregarding the "Goldwater rule" - it is all in the text. So even if there is bias, it is possible (and, I would say, preferable) to interact with the argument being made rather than the person making the argument. 

Now, it is painfully clear that the writer could use an editor. He is repetetive, he overexplains, there are odd passages in which he exemplifies while he still has argued earlier against anecdotal evidence - so yes, he really could have written the text better.

That said, the essence of the argument - we have agreed-upon definitions on psychopathy, it is a known and accepted diagnose, we know what generally to expect with that diagnose, and Trump fulfills the criteria - is important. Because if the argument is correct, that makes him even more dangerous than having "softer" problems like narcissism. 

Which is why I shared the text. The argument in itself is what's important. 

5 hours ago, ants said:

Heh, its alright to shoot the press isn't it?  I mean, its only rubber bullets and probably fake news, right?

We often hear a lot about 'censorship' and 'free speech' on this thread in relation to Twitter suspensions, speakers being protested on campus, people complaining about hate speech, and so on. But I think, and I may be wrong, feel free to correct me on this one, but I think that police arresting and shooting at journalists might indicate an actual free speech problem?

Has there ever been an occasion where police beating people and spraying them with pepper spray and tear gas has gone on to actually help a situation and not just made things much much worse? I don’t really understand why it continues to be used as a tactic.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Has there ever been an occasion where police beating people and spraying them with pepper spray and tear gas has gone on to actually help a situation and not just made things much much worse? I don’t really understand why it continues to be used as a tactic.

Next time some middle class white snowflakes get their Walmart camo on and start protesting for haircuts, I'd like for the cops to try teargas and truncheons and see how it goes. Just for the novelty.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, DMC said:

The court took care of that 25 years ago.  There doesn't need to be a study on NC or anything else when it comes to ethnicity.  Per usual, you're just making things up.

So if you make a district safe for one party, then the race for that district is usually going to get settled in the primary.  So a more polarized subset of the electorate is making the decision.  This should lead to less moderates and greater partisan divides.  Hard to see how it wouldn't.  

Likewise by concentrating a party's voters in one district, the opposing party's percentage goes up in another.  Maybe you were a polo sci major, I was a math major, more sure on this one.  This should also tend to make that district's winner more partisan on average as well.

Maybe you were drunk and thinking sloppily, but not sure how asking those questions is "making things up".  And a court ruling on the legality or not of minority majority districts doesn't address the second order effects as a rigorous study would. 

I'd prefer nationwide application of some sort of relatively small rule set on drawing congressional districts compactly applied universally.  Though too many stakeholders would get their gardens torn up to expect that to ever happen on an evenhanded basis.

18 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Oh, yes, totally. It's kind of a truism that "moderates" gravitate toward the "least unappealing" candidate.

Really cant tell if that's sarcasm or not.

Archived