What Are You Baking?

kairparavel

Okay, finished work for the Christmas break and first batch of cheese scones made, so today is a good day.

I resisted the urge to eat any while they were at the stage where doing so would have hurt me more than it would have hurt them, and can confirm that they're great and that I'm going to be eating far too many scones in the next couple of days.

34 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Okay, finished work for the Christmas break and first batch of cheese scones made, so today is a good day.

I resisted the urge to eat any while they were at the stage where doing so would have hurt me more than it would have hurt them, and can confirm that they're great and that I'm going to be eating far too many scones in the next couple of days.

Are you willing to share your cheese scones recipe, or is it a secret? :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I was just going to ask for it too!

I belong to a Keto diet group on Facebook, and some people post amazing recipes in their Food group. I have not made any of them yet because I have found the road to hell is paved with sweets, but one young fellow posts such amazing things I've been saving all his recipes. Sam Briden is his name, and he's a 20s-something guy who got into baking in his teens and finally quit his job to concentrate on baking as a career. He also published a nice little cookbook which I ordered the other day. I'll try making some of them and will report back with comments.  :)  

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just going to ask for it too!

I belong to a Keto diet group on Facebook, and some people post amazing recipes in their Food group. I have not made any of them yet because I have found the road to hell is paved with sweets, but one young fellow posts such amazing things I've been saving all his recipes. Sam Briden is his name, and he's a 20s-something guy who got into baking in his teens and finally quit his job to concentrate on baking as a career. He also published a nice little cookbook which I ordered the other day. I'll try making some of them and will report back with comments.  :)  

I have been wondering about posting a very simple recipe for a Dutch version of shortbread. All it requires is 250 grams of butter, sugar and flour and 1 egg. Mix the first 3 with the egg white, pat down and brush the yolk on top, in a 9" square pan and bake at 450 F for about 15 minutes. Cut it into squares while warm and then chill. 

On 12/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, Soylent Brown said:

I've eaten seven scones now, still going strong...

I'm going to make those scones.  But I didn't want to do all the conversions over the weekend so I made pumpkin bars instead.  They have a cream cheese icing on them and they're addictive.  I made a huge pot of chicken soup to carry to sick relatives and added the pumpkin bars and some sandwiches to the tray we took to them.  They were thrilled and I had enough to keep a 1/2 dozen for us.  

But my thoughts keep drifting back to cheese scones...

Just made a batch of standard Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie dough, with added 1 teaspoon cinnamon and mashed frozen banana.  Also implementing high altitude adjustments (Taos, NM -7000ft elevation).  

It's delicious.  May make cookies as well.

I am not baking.  I do not enjoy baking.  But I am eating lots of gingerbread this week!  I normally buy all my gingerbread at the Christmas market here but that was of course cancelled this year.  But I tracked down the brand in Germany and ordered far enough in advance that I got it on time.  The challenge will be trying to ration it out over the next week and not eat it all in the next few days!

I also plan to not bake but eat a delicious Yule Log on Christmas which will be baked by a local Belgian bakery.  I am very excited for that.

Mmm I made my gingerbread cookies this weekend and have been enjoying them a bit too much. I use https://www.browneyedbaker.com/gingerbread-men-cookies/ because I looove my gingerbread chewy. I usually add in some fresh or dried ginger as well because I like lots of gingery-ness. Yum.

Tomorrow I am making cranberry orange muffins, a tradition my mom used to do every Christmas. Was going to make them tonight but time ran away with me. Oops.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:04 AM, lady narcissa said:

I am not baking.  I do not enjoy baking.  But I am eating lots of gingerbread this week!  I normally buy all my gingerbread at the Christmas market here but that was of course cancelled this year.  But I tracked down the brand in Germany and ordered far enough in advance that I got it on time.  The challenge will be trying to ration it out over the next week and not eat it all in the next few days!

I also plan to not bake but eat a delicious Yule Log on Christmas which will be baked by a local Belgian bakery.  I am very excited for that.

When you say gingerbread do you mean the biscuits/cookies (of the run run run as fast as you can variety) or the cake? I like both but the cake is my favourite, especially drizzled with a lemon icing. 

Archived