Killjoybear

US Politics: Ruthless ambition

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's called a private militia. Welcome to the new world order. Make sure to say a thank you to everyone who argued for acceleration of the decay in our society.

That's just stupid.

16 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Welcome to the new world order.

Hogan, Hall, and Nash each have their far share of demons (to varying degrees), but they would never do anything like that.

27 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Those guys are fucking idiots and look like cosplayers.  And I'm also terrified because nothing ever happens to them and they are encouraged by the police to do what they are doing w/ near impunity.

They are dorks. Cringeworthy fucking dorks. I’m reasonably pro-gun (and at this point it’s basically because I don’t want the dork parade types being the only ones who have them...) but I would never walk down the street cosplaying GI Joe outside of Halloween, and never with a real weapon. These guys don’t have anything better to do with their time and the fact that they think they look so tough honestly makes me embarrassed for them. I don’t fear these turds, I pity them.

I didn’t want to say anything at the time because I didn’t want to ruffle feathers, but weeks ago I saw an in-depth report on CNN about what happened at Taylor’s apartment. As soon as I heard that her boyfriend fired first, I knew that was the end of it.

13 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I didn’t want to say anything at the time because I didn’t want to ruffle feathers, but weeks ago I saw an in-depth report on CNN about what happened at Taylor’s apartment. As soon as I heard that her boyfriend fired first, I knew that was the end of it.

Is a "I told you so, but actually I didn't because I thought it was controversial at the time so I waited until immediately after I could confirm I was right." Really useful here?

Regardless, I don't think that's particularly controversial or accurate. 

There should be some culpability on whomever planned and approved the no-knock raid on the wrong house. In addition to murder charges.

Edited by Week

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Heh, good one with the Posner joke.  I don't think it's realistic to expect SC justices to accept an imposition on their own tenure when it's perfectly reasonable to interpret "good behavior" as meaning any retirement limit is unconstitutional.

Certainly - although I disagree with you on the memoirs thing.  Publicly divulging that makes him look bad and Ginsburg look bad, I strongly suspect he'll never mention it publicly if it did happen.  I'm just objecting to you "blaming" him for not necessarily trying to pressure Ginsburg.  It's quite possible he would view such "encouragement" as improper - especially considering his background - and I in no way blame him if that's how he felt.  The responsibility to retire at the proper time is solely and entirely on Ginsburg herself, and I'm quite confident she would express the same.

I think the SC judges will worry that by adopting such a rule they will be enshrining that interpretation as final and therefore own the conduct of every judge that comes after.  We've all heard horror stories - Marshall, Douglas, Lewis Powell.  Every other major country in the world has a mandatory age limit for federal judges.   And frankly, it might be a relief for them to know that they can enjoy a retirement sometime, somewhere.  Those who are able can still teach, travel, engage in public advocacy, or run for public office if they like.  Every other career is open to them. 

I am blaming him.  As much as Ginsburg, no. 

And I've said before and I'll say again that Obama is the best politician of my lifetime.  I would make him president for life if I could.  But did he get stuff wrong? Yes.  This was a big one.  His best defense (and it would be a valid one) is if he tried, politely, and she demurred.  Fine - that's on her then.  A lot of stuff he cares about (and we all should care about) and she devoted her life to protecting is going into the trash heap once Barrett is confirmed. 

Edited by Gaston de Foix

3 hours ago, Durckad said:

Anecdotally, NE IL and Southern WI are awash with Trump signs. Granted it seems there are far fewer Trump signs than in 2016 but I see almost no Biden signs. The Trump voters I interact with are the very opposite of the supposedly "shy Trump voter," they are loud and proud about it, so the Biden voters could just be keeping their heads down about their preference.

I know I personally would not openly flaunt my preference for Biden, not in this contentious atmosphere at least. Does that make me a coward? Yeah probably, but I really don't think signs, flags, or bumper stickers convince anyone to vote or switch their preferences, especially at the presidential level. Donations do a better job IMO.

I think signs play on our subconscious and impact our feeling on what the "herd" is feeling.  By putting out a sign in front of your yard, neighbors have to contend with the idea that you are voting for that person on the sign, which subconsciously affects whether they'll feel willing to do the same.   If someone who knows and respects you sees that you support XXXX, and they don't, then that causes cognitive dissonance in their mind and can occasionally push them to at least consider re-evaluating their decision.  For those who agree, it lowers their stress levels because it makes them feel less alone.  A big part of our mind is still just an animal trying to fit into the group.

That's what I think anyway, and that's why I've starting putting up signs.  If it loses me friends, I don't really care at this point.   Voting and putting up a sign is all the influence I really have at this point.

3 hours ago, Durckad said:

Anecdotally, NE IL and Southern WI are awash with Trump signs. Granted it seems there are far fewer Trump signs than in 2016 but I see almost no Biden signs. The Trump voters I interact with are the very opposite of the supposedly "shy Trump voter," they are loud and proud about it, so the Biden voters could just be keeping their heads down about their preference.

I know I personally would not openly flaunt my preference for Biden, not in this contentious atmosphere at least. Does that make me a coward? Yeah probably, but I really don't think signs, flags, or bumper stickers convince anyone to vote or switch their preferences, especially at the presidential level. Donations do a better job IMO.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Trump exceeds Biden signs probably 4 to 1 in the Northeast of the state, at least from what I observe during my commutes:stunned:

My lily white suburb of Milwaukee (that generally still shows up as part of Milwaukee on Google Maps because the outskirts of the city limits is so jacked up) is showing quite a bit of Biden love. I've only seen one Trump sign in the areas I frequent, and it was one of those "Coexist" signs coupled with Trump 2020...very bizarre. 

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

This exact reason is why no-knock raids need to be banned.  As an american I have a right to defend my home.  If you break in, then its my right to defend myself, by lethal means if I feel endangered.  And if you're a well armed posse of cops, then I'm just going to get killed while trying to defend my family.  And that's wrong.

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

My lily white suburb of Milwaukee (that generally still shows up as part of Milwaukee on Google Maps because the outskirts of the city limits is so jacked up) is showing quite a bit of Biden love. I've only seen one Trump sign in the areas I frequent, and it was one of those "Coexist" signs coupled with Trump 2020...very bizarre. 

Several of the Trump voters I know personally are extremely low information voters who have little to no actual knowledge of what Trump has done during his tenure.  They've constructed an imaginary Trump in their mind, and that's who they are voting for, come hell or high water.

11 minutes ago, Week said:

Is a "I told you so, but actually I didn't because I thought it was controversial at the time so I waited until immediately after I could confirm I was right." Really useful here?

Regardless, I don't think that's particularly controversial or accurate. 

There should be some culpability on whomever planned and approved the no-knock raid on the wrong house. In addition to murder charges.

I really didn’t feel like having a fight at the time, emotions were pretty high in this thread.

I do think it’s accurate. It went to a Grand Jury, and you can be sure that was the essential point for them. The long standing story has always been police keep getting charged and juries keep giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I absolutely agree there has to be an explanation about what went wrong. Taylor’s drug dealing boyfriend was being targeted and it was suspected that she was helping him. There was a month between the time the warrant was requested and served, and that boyfriend had moved out. No one checked up on that. But hey, I won’t wait this time - I predict there will be no ramifications out of this point. “We don’t have the resources to carry out the warrants faster or double-check to see if the guy still lives there”.

4 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I think the SC judges will worry that by adopting such a rule they will be enshrining that interpretation as final and therefore own the conduct of every judge that comes after.

I think it's rather silly to assume the justices would be worried about setting such a precedent - to be clear, only for themselves, not for all federal courts - especially considering if later justices have an issue with the precedent to such an extent that it's glaring they're free to "overturn" such a "non" precedent (as in it's not establishing any firm rule - hell, they could just refuse to take the case if a circuit court already overturned the law).  Not to mention if mental competency is an issue there is still impeachment available (if almost certainly unrealistic, justices would still point to it as the proper remedy).  You seem to be vastly underestimating how driven justices are by self-interest just like any other politician.

10 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

But did he get stuff wrong? Yes.  This was a big one.  His best defense (and it would be a valid one) is if he tried, politely, and she demurred.  Fine - that's on her then.

Obama made mistakes, of course, but this is definitely not one of them, let alone a big one.  You seem to be operating under the assumption that Ginsburg would be at likely to acquiesce simply by Obama politely approaching her.  You think Ginsburg needed Obama approaching her to understand the ramifications of her decision not to retire?  She was clearly determined to stay on the court.  Whether he did or not, it's subsequently clear any amount of pressure Obama levied was not going to work.  In fact, there is something honorable about Obama leaving it up to her if that's what he did.  I think attributing any blame to him for Ginsburg's decision is decidedly juvenile.

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

it was one of those "Coexist" signs coupled with Trump 2020...very bizarre. 

Sounds like a very confused teenager.

And now for something different, the markets took another hit today. The Nasdaq was down 3%, or 330 points, the Dow was down 2%, or 525 points, and the S&P was down 2.4%, or 79 points.

Apparently about 3,500 US companies have brought lawsuits against the US government because of the China tariff policy. And the US government has announced it is going to bring anti-trust lawsuits against various tech companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon. There’s been talk about bringing lawsuits for years now, but I suspect certain owners of certain companies aren’t donating enough money (or hell, any money) to Republicans. Or writing nasty things about adds and tweets. But that might just be the cynic in me. Like the little voice that says Tik Tok got into a forced sale because of Tulsa.

2 hours ago, S John said:

They are dorks. Cringeworthy fucking dorks. I’m reasonably pro-gun (and at this point it’s basically because I don’t want the dork parade types being the only ones who have them...) but I would never walk down the street cosplaying GI Joe outside of Halloween, and never with a real weapon. These guys don’t have anything better to do with their time and the fact that they think they look so tough honestly makes me embarrassed for them. I don’t fear these turds, I pity them.

Second Ex, who was a legit weapons dealer, called those guys “Tommy Tacticals”.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's called a private militia. Welcome to the new world order. Make sure to say a thank you to everyone who argued for acceleration of the decay in our society.

That is SO not a private militia (eyeroll)

So they just played a quick clip of Trump on the news that reportedly just came from a few minutes ago, and in it he firmly said he won't commit to a peaceful transfer of power, and if he doesn't agree with the results the ballots will have to be examined which will then lead to a continuation of his power.

So that slow slide continues to snowball...

Edited by Tywin et al.
Grammatical errors galore

7 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Second Ex, who was a legit weapons dealer, called those guys “Tommy Tacticals”.

Are we talking RDJ's Tony Stark kind of arms dealer or Nic Cage's Lord of War arms dealer?

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So they just played a quick clip of Trump on the news that reported just came from a few minutes ago, and in it he firmly said he won't commit to a peaceful transfer of power, and if he doesn't agree with the results the ballots will have to be extend which will then lead to a continuation of her power.

So that slow slide continues to snowball...

Just for everyone else

The ballots have been terrible, everybody knows it, especially the Dems. Apparently. 

I'm a little surprised, to be honest. If masses of devotees all over the country are organizing themselves around and at the behest of one man to supplement regressive policing actions in non-local areas, in a specifically martial manner... 

That sounds like a fucking militia to me.