US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Wish I had been in downtown Boston this weekend -- would have been worth partaking in the celebration. 

Celebrating the Sox rehiring Alex Cora? Don’t think that just because all this other shit’s happening you’ll get a pass on that!

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

Garcia 4 Life! You and me brother, let’s do this! (Do what? I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out)

I politely informed Rudy that literally everyone knows he’s the stupidest sack of shit on the planet, and Twitter put me on another timeout.

”Networks don't get to decide the election—courts do.”

Ah. I thought it was the American people.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Celebrating the Sox rehiring Alex Cora? Don’t think that just because all this other shit’s happening you’ll get a pass on that!

Dude. I acknowledged and celebrated the Dodgers historic win. With my favorite current player that Boston's dumpster fire team traded out West. :p

But yeah, Cora. ... not a fan of that happening.

16 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The only way for it to ever go away, is to defeat at the polls, heavily. If all the vulnerable GOP senators had dropped and maybe even a few more house seats, and ideally with Biden turning Texas and/or Florida. Then there would've been a fair chance of Trumpism retreating back into its cave.

However, that's not what happened. Biden got more votes than any other President in history, and he barely managed to squeeze out a win. The Senate did not flip. And the GOP made gains in the house, with Trump increasing his turnout. So, I am more sceptical regarding the future of fascism in the GOP and the US in general. I think a realignment with formerly Republican strongholds in the college educated suburbs, who are utterly turned off by that (aka the Lincoln Project) joining the Democrats for the long run. The good news is, the suburbs are growing (thus so should the Democrat voting base). Graham and Cruz publicly siding with the outgoing President on his election fraud nonsense are a good indicator for that. They are positioning themselves for 2024, and will try to satisfy the demands of the fascist vote.

On a seperate note. Anybody with a twitter account, can you deliver an all caps

LOSER tweet to the outgoing potus?

The Lincoln Project is most assuredly NOT joining Dems in the long haul.  They saw an opportunity to make a buck and took it.  These people are not your friends or mine, and they will fuck you over the first chance they get.  

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was a little surprised by how much open joy there is in the streets. Today was a nice day (70 degrees and sunny in November north of Boston!) and people were out and about. A couple towns up from me, a pretty beach town with nice shopping, there were a few people gathered in a town square playing music, holding up Biden-Harris banners and signs, and LOTS of people honking and waving.

By the way @Tywin et al. there are still plenty of Biden-Harris yard signs out. The Trumpist signs are mostly gone. I guess the rent is due.

I suspect it's because they know Filipinos have taken over the neighborhood. 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

It IS kind of weird that the election is called by the media, and only certified a month later or so. Would be helpful to have a non media entitiy announce the winner, I suppose.

I was thinking that as well, from a non-American perspective it does seem odd that media organisations pronouncements on the race have so much weight. For British elections the BBC usually manages to accurately predict who has won as soon as the polls close but we still wait until all the votes have been counted before declaring who the winner is going to be. That said, given how long it takes the US to count votes it's probably a good thing they don't wait for that.

Of course, Giuliani's point is still idiotic, the networks are only calling it for Biden because it is obvious from the vote counts that he has won.

Just now, larrytheimp said:

The Lincoln Project is most assuredly NOT joining Dems in the long haul.  They saw an opportunity to make a buck and took it.  These people are not your friends or mine, and they will fuck you over the first chance they get.  

While I generally think the Lincoln Project gets wayyyy too much attention in general and are a rather pointless footnote, gotta say I was surprised yesterday when Schmidt responded in the affirmative when someone asked him on Twitter if they'd support Warnock and Ossoff in the runoffs.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I mean, maybe, but it’s just so cliche. I’m trying to work out how it can be done with arson. That would have a real wow factor.

If you can frame Kimberly Guilfoyle in the process then I'll really be impressed.

Okay, something that really pisses me off - stop using the exit polls as gospel! Exit polls regularly suck, but this year where the vast majority of on day voters are Republicans is a self selecting nightmare. 

Here's the simple fact - voters split their tickets. People voted for Biden AND voted for republican house and senate more than usual. This needs to be understood and worked on. It is almost certainly NOT because they were not progressive enough. 

2 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I was thinking that as well, from a non-American perspective it does seem odd that media organisations pronouncements on the race have so much weight. For British elections the BBC usually manages to accurately predict who has won as soon as the polls close but we still wait until all the votes have been counted before declaring who the winner is going to be. That said, given how long it takes the US to count votes it's probably a good thing they don't wait for that.

Also the fact that, thanks to the existence of the Electoral College, nothing can possibly be official official until the second week of December.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

While I generally think the Lincoln Project gets wayyyy too much attention in general and are a rather pointless footnote, gotta say I was surprised yesterday when Schmidt responded in the affirmative when someone asked him on Twitter if they'd support Warnock and Ossoff in the runoffs.

If you can frame Kimberly Guilfoyle in the process then I'll really be impressed.

Of course they'll support them - they know that the entire left of the country is going to be pumping money into those races, they can probably clear an easy $20 mil, spend it on ads that their own companies produce, and walk away with a bunch of money.  

And then it's back to business as usual.

I guess that is also weird to me - while I do believe Lincoln project is largely useless, the fact remains that people voted for Biden and republican candidates on the same ballot. In Nebraska 2 - the congressman won +6 and Biden won +6. The notion that Republicans didn't cross over seems obviously denied by simple math.

This is ominous...

The Trump administration abruptly dumped the leaders of three agencies that oversee the nuclear weapons stockpile, electricity and natural gas regulation, and overseas aid during the past two days, drawing a rebuke from a prominent Republican senator for one of the decisions.

The sudden departures included:

• Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, administrator of the National Nuclear Security Administration, the first woman to oversee the agency in charge of the nuclear stockpile. She was required to resign on Friday.
  • Bonnie Glick, deputy administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development. She was replaced by acting Administrator John Barsa, who had run out of time for his more senior role under the Federal Vacancies Reform Act.
  • Neil Chatterjee, chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and a former aide to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. He was replaced as chairman, though he will remain at FERC, an independent agency, as a commissioner.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-2020-election-results/2020/11/06/932376507/trump-dumps-3-agency-leaders-in-wake-of-election

Archived