Expanse #5 Game done changed.

mcbigski

Spoiler

The bombing of the parliament could be from the Marcos faction or the splinter Martian faction.  Either way Marcos will take credit for it.

We don't know yet how closely this is following the book.  It's possible that the splinter Martian faction will truly ally with Marcos.  In which case his threat to unleash the protomolecule on earth/mars isn't such bullshit.  Because in the books, even though he made that threat, he handed off the protomolecule immediately, and couldn't follow through even if he wanted to.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wow, episode 4 was amazing, edge of my seat the whole time I was watching. Not sure if I missed something but do we know if the bombing of the Martian Parliament was from Marcos too? Its mentioned briefly when Bobby and Alex hear the news but not sure if we had heard of it prior or after?

Loving the season so far. I will say that I am having a bit of a weird experience with Alex's character? I keep perceiving him as more shitty than the character probably is, and Bobby cold shouldering him is coloured by the allegations (saying allegations as I haven't followed the news closely) against Cas Anvar. I know its not but it has coloured my viewing without a doubt

Yeah

Spoiler

I'm definitely dealing with this as well. Bobbie shutting him down so hard in the first episode felt particularly pointed and the nature of the shut down felt in line with what I've read of the allegations.

On the Cas issue generally - there is a very very through thread on the subreddit walking through the situation, the investigation resulted in 40 different individuals coming forward with allegations of various levels of bad behavior. Some of these weren't too bad but help to establish the pattern of behavior and communication (particularly writing style in text/dm messages) consistent with worse allegations.

Many of them also aren't crimes but they're very much the actions of an abusive and manipulative piece of shit I'm glad won't be on the show after this season. I feel it important to acknowledge the difference in standard between "crime" and "not a crime but you're still a pos". There was some really bad stuff in there though which included this harassment of minors. 

Reasonably strong episode.

Spoiler

Amos being particularly badass. Although Naomi's storyline felt a bit off (it did in the book as well, her being trusted to walk around the ship despite hating Marco's guts).

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Reasonably strong episode.

Hide contents

Amos being particularly badass. Although Naomi's storyline felt a bit off (it did in the book as well, her being trusted to walk around the ship despite hating Marco's guts).

I don't think

Spoiler

It's trust at all, it's a component of his manipulation and abuse of Filip and Naomi. He doesn't think there's anything she can actually accomplish so trust doesn't come into it. He's wrong because he's underestimating her, but that's all part of the characterization 

26 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I don't think

Hide contents

It's trust at all, it's a component of his manipulation and abuse of Filip and Naomi. He doesn't think there's anything she can actually accomplish so trust doesn't come into it. He's wrong because he's underestimating her, but that's all part of the characterization 

Precisely,

Spoiler

it's a brainwashing/manipulation tactic. Marco believes that Naomi belongs with him, that deep down she wants to be with him and the psychofuck family he's assembled. He's trying to gaslight her into believing the same. Treating her like a prisoner is counter-productive. That's why even when she is a prisoner she gets a lot of liberties to abuse. They're trying to keep her around willingly.

If it's the question I suspect you're asking about, I've seen some on the right path

Spoiler

Wondering how Marco could possibly have enough money to be buying these ships. I don't see any making the jump from there, but to be fair I wouldn't either.

We got the first direct hint this week with the Barkeith burning away from the sun after the exchange so wouldn't be surprised to see some start to get it next week.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

If it's the question I suspect you're asking about, I've seen some on the right path

Hide contents

Wondering how Marco could possibly have enough money to be buying these ships. I don't see any making the jump from there, but to be fair I wouldn't either.

We got the first direct hint this week with the Barkeith burning away from the sun after the exchange so wouldn't be surprised to see some start to get it next week.

It is :)

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I never thought of it as him buying those things.

I thought it was a secret plot by a faction of martians willing to give weapons to terrorists so that they could attack earth. Even any attack on mars would be a deal to kill all the political enemies of this faction.

7 hours ago, divica said:
  Hide contents

I never thought of it as him buying those things.

I thought it was a secret plot by a faction of martians willing to give weapons to terrorists so that they could attack earth. Even any attack on mars would be a deal to kill all the political enemies of this faction.

Yeah that's what Corvinus was wondering

Spoiler

Whether any of them are starting to realise it's not simply a matter of black market dealing, but a Martian faction exploiting the belters for chaos/cover.

Realising that Marco cannot possibly have enough money to pay for it is the first step to realising this - the next is realising that must mean he's paying in some other way.

2 hours ago, Denvek said:

Given that the series is ending after Season 6, do you think

Reveal hidden contents

they're going to have Duarte as the Martian faction leader, or roll his character into Sauveterre?

I think it depends on how hard they are planning for that possible spin-off/sequel series idea. If they're really aiming for a continuation, they'll stick closer to the books, if not they can be much more flexible.

This show is so good. I keep feeling disappointed when we leave one story to follow another because i’m so invested but then I end up equally invested in the next story too. I also like that I’m getting this week to week because i would undoubtedly have binged it if I could and would not have this sense of excitement i currently have.

I think at the minute I most want to see more Earth scenes but that is just because I’m a bit of a sucker for apocalyptic/disaster settings and I am interested in seeing the effects on Earth. 

I am a bit vague on how much time has passed in this series so far, because there are obvious time jumps throughout. How long has Clarissa Mao been in prison?

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I am a bit vague on how much time has passed in this series so far, because there are obvious time jumps throughout. How long has Clarissa Mao been in prison?

A good while. We know that the trip to Ilus takes about a year at least one way, so the Roci has been to Ilus and back plus the time on Ilus plus whatever else they've been getting up to off-screen. So I'd say minimum 3 years but probably longer. I don't the show has been explicit about how much time has passed, but on the order of years.

51 minutes ago, Starkess said:

A good while. We know that the trip to Ilus takes about a year at least one way, so the Roci has been to Ilus and back plus the time on Ilus plus whatever else they've been getting up to off-screen. So I'd say minimum 3 years but probably longer. I don't the show has been explicit about how much time has passed, but on the order of years.

Thanks. It had clearly been a long time from the way it was presented i just wasn’t sure if i’d forgotten some explicit reference. Minimum 3 years sounds about right

Archived