Covid-19 #22: What Were You Doing This Time Last Year?

Fragile Bird

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

I should have. we were well over the recommeded distance. What I mean is the idiot told NHS we had close contact when we didnt. 

Ah. The metric system is difficult. 

Although we only use the metric system and none if the people at my workplace knew what 2 m are in the context of covid-19.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

1325 deaths in the UK today. I beleive it's a new record.

I believe it's a new record for a figure recorded "on the day", but when they did some background checking in the summer they hugely increased a number of one-day totals for mid-April, topping out at just under 1,500. So we have had more deaths in one day, but that was only realised after the fact.

It's likely the death figure will continue to increase for the rest of the month and then start dropping off again in February, so obviously this could go higher and potentially a lot higher. We could be on for 80,000 deaths (by the official record) by the end of the weekend and over 100,000 in a fortnight.

Just been told to self isolate because one of my staff doesnt know what 2 metres or 15 mins is. 

Not impressed. 

O shyte.  I hope you all will not get sick.

35 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Thanks for the well wishes folks. I'm currently in bed catching up on Star Trek Discovery. 

Glad you're doing well.

Imma little behind here, having been occupied with yet another something that is scary and threatening.  I'm not sure which is more terrifying:  covid or the coup.  I've been terrified of the latter for a lot longer than covid, but covid is always right here, right the second I go outside the door.

I should have. we were well over the recommeded distance. What I mean is the idiot told NHS we had close contact when we didnt. 

You mean NHS Track and Trace actually called you? They're real?

Well, remember I used to look at Worldometer between 5:30 and 6:30 to guestimate if the number would get over 100,000 new case in the US? It's not 3:30 yet and it's just over 200,000 new cases. This could be the day it goes over 300,000 new cases.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just been told to self isolate because one of my staff doesnt know what 2 metres or 15 mins is. 

Not impressed. 

Would it help to explain it as the distance you drive behind someone in an Audi and the amount of time after the ETA before you phone the Chinese takeaway and make inappropriate comments?

5 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Been in bed with a fever for a few days. Currently awaiting test results. 

One silver lining is that with us being in lockdown again having to isolate means very little changes in day to day life! 

I hope you feel better soon.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

17 million i think (originally 7 million) but wont be rolled out until Spring

It would have been nice if it had been one of the vaccines that was ordered in advance in the UK, although to be fair they did manage to correctly pick the other two of the first three vaccines to be approved.

I am watching former FDA head, Dr. Gottlieb, being interviewed, and he's saying the WH task force have concerns there may be a new US variant. They've been looking for the UK variant, but numbers have soared just like in the UK, but the UK variant is not prevelant yet. It might be a home-grown variant.

53 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am watching former FDA head, Dr. Gottlieb, being interviewed, and he's saying the WH task force have concerns there may be a new US variant. They've been looking for the UK variant, but numbers have soared just like in the UK, but the UK variant is not prevelant yet. It might be a home-grown variant.

Or just that we did exactly what we were told not to do (travel and gather) and the results are entirely predictable.

I mean, it's certainly possible we have a variant with a similar mutation (since it independently evolved in SA and we have enough cases to incubate some fun evolution), but it's also possible we're uniquely stupid.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Well, some of us. Some of us were paying attention to the guidelines....

...while others who live here were fomenting insurrection and mobbing the Capitol without even stealing any important artwork.

Frankly, I’m shocked. My 18 year old self at least knew to steal the artwork.

that's how you tase yourself in the balls and then have a heart attack.

Just now, Chataya de Fleury said:

Omg, did he really taze himself IN THE BALLS!???!!!

I have not seen that detail officially confirmed (and believe me, I'm looking for that confirmation). But that's one of the major rumors going around: tased himself IN THE JUNK trying to steal a portrait of Tip Fucking O'Neill, of all people.

Archived