US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Oh my, Melania's loyal, attack dog Chief of Staff, with her since 2015, submitted her resignation.

Guess a job with the Trump family after the term is over was just not attractive anymore.

I'm sure more are to follow.

Clearly she's considering how it looks on her CV. After 5 years on the job I doubt its out of principal.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh my, Melania's loyal, attack dog Chief of Staff, with her since 2015, submitted her resignation.

Guess a job with the Trump family after the term is over was just not attractive anymore.

I guess the rats are starting to leave the (hopefully) sinking ship.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Clearly she's considering how it looks on her CV. After 5 years on the job I doubt its out of principal.

After 5 years on the job, quitting now won't exactly look great on her CV anyway. Mildly better than staying on, I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

After 5 years on the job, quitting now won't exactly look great on her CV anyway. Mildly better than staying on, I suppose. 

The report said she'd been considering it for months now, but today's events were the last straw.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the covid cases started to unnerve her.

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Pence defriended Trump on Twitter. BURN!

Posts above say it's untrue. Sadly.

The rats have been leaving ever since the election.  These are late to the party so unengaged with the 'real world' as they are.  Imagine what it's like in Melania's circle right now, as she frantically and furiously tries to figure out her next move. :P

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

April Ryan says she's been told that Congressional leaders have been discussing the 25th amendment quite a bit while held in a secure location(s). 

For the love of Christ, do it. I think a message needs to be sent

I hope we never ever allow anyone to forget who got us to this point, because I'm so sick of the actions of these scumbags just being memory holed or people start talking about how brave GOP folks are for speaking out against Trump at this point. This is not bravery, this is rats fleeing a sinking ship.

19 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Wait, if Tump refused to call up the DC National Guard, and Pence called them up anyway, does that mean Pence assumed the authority of the presidency? 

I'd say that's exactly what that means. Either Pence overstepped his authority or he is now the defacto president.

18 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Rand Paul is on Fox defending the narrative that the Dems cheated and outright admitting that the only way they can win is the electoral college. I hope his neighbor beats the shit out of him again.

Once again, Fuck Rand Paul.

34 minutes ago, S John said:

It has been self evident that much of Trumps constituency will never leave him. Curious about if this will finally break the spell for some of the less insane who have voted for him.

And The GOP can't leave them.  The fringe has now become the center. This is why they've been catering to these idiots for years. If they lose the conspiracy mongering, Q anon proud boys wing of the party, they'll never crack more than 25% in a federal election ever again. 

For reference:

17 minutes ago, S John said:

I’m at home in paternal leave because we just had a baby last week. We also bought a new house recently so I was painting all day and had foxnews on in the background and listened to Trumps speech. Shortly after his speech all this chaos went down, it was absolutely a direct consequence. I know crazy fucks online are saying it was antifa (lol) but if it was they followed the president’s instructions.

Congratulations! Teach that lil otter how to roll a proper blunt in 18 years.

20 minutes ago, S John said:

Humans really have an insane inability to admit when they were wrong.

When they're in cults, that's for sure.

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

More taking bets time.

3-1 odds Melania divorces him within six months.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Imagine what it's like in Melania's circle right now, as she frantically and furiously tries to figure out her next move.

I'd say it's fair to describe Stephanie Grisham as in Donald's inner-circle as well as Melania's.

One complication with invoking the 25th is three Cabinet members are in an acting capacity.  Do they get votes?  The text provides no guidance here.

1 minute ago, S John said:

For the love of Christ, do it. I think a message needs to be sent

Would Pence go along with it?  Also, who in the cabinet (and who counts given the number of "acting" cabinet officials)?  That is, De Vos won't leave the ship.  Mnuchin might.  Pompeo?  Wilbur Ross?  He might?  Elaine Chao is probably on board?  Defense, HC and AG are "acting".  

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Seeming more and more that Pence has assumed the duties of the presidency. But it remains a question of if this has happened officially (secret 25th amendment vote) or if there technically has been a coup that happened today (even if no one will ever admit it or call it one)

They need to invoke the 25th.

Hawley's hometown paper just stomped on his, I'm assuming, tiny nuts:

No one other than President Donald Trump himself is more responsible for Wednesday’s coup attempt at the U.S. Capitol than one Joshua David Hawley, the 41-year-old junior senator from Missouri, who put out a fundraising appeal while the siege was underway.

This, Sen. Hawley, is what law-breaking and destruction look like. This is what mobs do. This is not a protest, but a riot. One woman was shot and has died, The Washington Post reported, while lawmakers were sheltering in place.

No longer can it be asked, as George Will did recently of Hawley, “Has there ever been such a high ratio of ambition to accomplishment?” Hawley’s actions in the last week had such impact that he deserves an impressive share of the blame for the blood that’s been shed.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article248317375.html

3 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Elaine Chao is probably on board?

Well, if it's gonna work McConnell would have to be on board, so I'd assume Chao would be the most secure yay vote in the Cabinet.

Archived