US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Here's the first word from Capitol Police:

Repsponded valiantly.  

I have no doubt individuals did respond valiantly and the rank and file were put in a bad position by their leaders. But everyone who was involved in the preparations for this need to be fired and pilloried and investigated for possible connivance, and every officer opening gates or taking selfies needs the same.

I just want to point out that the shirtless, tattooed guy wearing the Buffalo hat in the photos from the riot is a small-time actor and voice-over artist from here in the valley.  He calls himself Jake Angeli, but he is an Italian guy who for the past couple of years has been appearing in places where he can show up on camera in face paint and spout gibberish.

https://twitter.com/brieannafrank/status/1257736599170736128?s=20

He has acted outside the Honeywell Aviation facilities, the state government buildings, the state fair, etc.  Apart from praising Trump and Q and making a lot of noise, he just seems to be someone who is seeking attention.  I can recall thinking that he might need to have some medical or psychological care in the past, or just be a needy person.

Recently he has been doing to the anti-mask protest thing and getting air time.  I guess because he feels that wearing a mask will make him look stupid?

If this is representative of the sort of adherent Trump has collected, I don't know that rational actions or logical conclusions are something we can expect out of them.  And since we have additionally fruit-loop leadership in the Republican party here (Kelli Ward, et al), and the Libertarian Party can no longer find its collective ass with both hands in the state, I predict that Arizona may have a period of Democratic leadership.

The Democratic Party, just by doing basic political blocking and tackling, if they can provide political candidates who are rational and reasonable characters who are interested in sensible governance, could easily collect votes from traditionally Lib/Rep districts.  Enough voters in districts like my own who would never have voted Democratic previously are now sufficiently disgusted by yesterday's performance.

Three of my neighbors stood around my mailbox this morning in cold weather to gossip and bitch about what happened to the Republican party with me.  Basically, the question was, "The Republican party used to be the party of adult behavior, fiscal responsibility, and local government.  Now the Republican president is inciting insurrection while the local Republican city council is selling our city to developers for a fast buck.  What happened to our party?"

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

In totally unrelated news, the Capitol Police are a very opaque organization and not subject to FOIA requests.

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/15/capitol-police-a-department-shrouded-in-secrecy/

However they are subject to congressional oversight and funding decisions, and Democrats on the relevant committees have already said they'll be investigating the matter.

Also, it sounds like Democrats are getting ready to act on impeachment if Pence doesn't 25A:

At least 68 people have been arrested so far.

There will be 6,200 National Guardsmen in place by the weekend. There will be 850 security officers at the Capitol by the end of today.

A 7 ft. non-scalable fence will be erected around a large area and will be up for at least 30 days.

From the Mayor’s press conference going on now.

So, I guess the conspiracy that Pence is in charge isn't true,

The White House has withdrawn its nomination of Chad Wolf to be DHS Sec. Unclear if he's still Acting Sec.

7 hours ago, Toth said:

I was also laughed at in this very forum four years ago when I noted that the USA right now feels very much like the Weimar Republic,

So have been many others of us on this forum for describing the parallels with what was going on in this country -- even prior to 2016 -- with varieties of police / authoritarian / fascist state take-overs, as had anyone who is familiar with such histories.  Also jeered at for calling the shoggoth's supporters cultists and death cultists, which many now in the media now also call them.  Also because it will never get like that here. And so on and so forth.  But you know, Cassandra has remained a notable figure out ancient history for reasons.  :bang: :read: :P :cheers:  So it shall remain here and other venues as well, because this time They didn't get Their hands on Pelosi, AOC, Schumer, etc.  See! it failed last time!  Right..

And this was literally an attempt at coup.  There is so much on the record that it is, just from yesterday, particularly thanks to the spoken words on video and audio, and the written ones on twits and email, of both giuliani the batshit and shoggoth the sociopath.  Not to mention the uncountable other and previous crimes and treacheries committed and advised against this nation and it's people, not the least killing us with covid-19.

Nevertheless Congress went home instead of removing him, so he's got another two weeks to murder us all.  I can only pray that after Biden takes office a very large agency is set up to prosecute all of them.

31 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Not that it likely matters, but to add to the 'what could they charge them with' there are very specific laws against doing, well, the exact thing they did that have significantly stronger penalties - they are felonies and carry 10 year sentences potentially. I can look them up if people are interested, but one of the lawfare folks (Benjamin Wittes) talked about it yesterday, saying it would be pretty simple to have that evidence and charge them if they saw fit.

As many people who were apart of this coup attempt need to face the harshest punishments allowed by law for their crimes.

Hitler served 9 months for his part in his first coup against the Weimar Republic.

And he came out emboldened instead of reformed or at least cowed.

Democrats however will probably not push for any of these people to have real legal consequences.

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

At least 68 people have been arrested so far.

There will be 6,200 National Guardsmen in place by the weekend. There will be 850 security officers at the Capitol by the end of today.

A 7 ft. non-scalable fence will be erected around a large area and will be up for at least 30 days.

From the Mayor’s press conference going on now.

We are happy to report that the stable door has now been firmly closed. If there were any horses left in the stable, they'd be safe as houses. 

The person shot and killed during the Capitol riot has been identified. Amazing how many details about a person can be quickly found online by reporters these days once their identity is known:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/01/07/dc-riots-ashli-babbitt-killed-capitol-attack-military-veteran/6577488002/

11 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Another one. might be a re-post. these threads are moving fast.

https://www.rawstory.com/mick-mulvaney/

I was watching CNBC this morning and their interview with Mulvaney was cringe worthy. They asked him about being an enabler of Trump's, and he insisted that 8 months ago Trump was a different person. He brushed off crazy things that Trump suggested in meetings by saying "he thinks out loud, people would tell him why he couldn't do those things".

As another host said later in the morning, he sounded like a victim of abuse who says, "but he's so different in real life, he's a nice guy, he said he'd never do that again".

Here's the complete interview.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/09/12/watch-cnbcs-full-interview-with-ombs-mick-mulvaney.html

56 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

With or without the contrivance of Maggie Haberman?

With, obviously, credited or uncredited.

38 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

FINALLY...

I can wish, but I'm in the "nothing is really going to happen between now and 1/20" camp.  There will be a lot of sound and fury, which will signify absolutely nothing.

Barr flat out said Trump instigated the chaos yesterday, my, my , what a change from last month when he was publicly praising him.

I know everyone compares Trump to Mussolini, but maybe a Roman emperor like Caesar or Caligula is more appropriate (the latter even more so being completely bonkers; I think both Mussolini and Caesar were pretty smart at some point in their lives)

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Weren't the riots in the 60s much worse? 

No, not even close.  Read Norman Mailer's Armies of the Night, which concludes with his sheer pride in US democracy, that made a peaceful transition of power after Nixon possible.  We have fallen far, far since then.

Archived