Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

I’m in a weird flunk. Not sure if it’s hormonal or the weather (it doesn’t stay steady for longer than 4 days), I feel quite tired and sleepy. I suppose the awkward summer sleep schedule doesn’t help either, I go to bed at midnight and keep waking up around 5, after that it’s just 30 minutes snoozes from which I jolt awake thinking it’s time to get up already. 
Sister had a… well I suppose the closest thing to what this was is a fraternity weekend party camping. She didn’t have a nice time. Which makes me wonder if it was I who lucked out throughout my life to have a completely normal, intelligent and supportive high school and university environment. Or that’s the standard and she was unlucky to end up in ridiculously toxic schools. Well, either way, it’s just awfully sad that her uni is so poisoned with politics and gossip. Maybe it’s a generation thing too. When I went to uni, the world was a bit further away from the edge of the cliff than it is now, and things were just calmer, less polarized and opinions and ideologies were less aggressive. It’s weird…

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

I found a flattened penny today by the railroad tracks.  I've lived near the tracks for 7+ years and am always "track combing" when I walk my dog near there and today was the first time I've ever found one.  My excitement level right now is pretty fucking high!

How big was the flattened penny, I'm assuming it must've stretched the diameter?

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

It rained today. I mean, some drops of lukewarm water fell from the sky for the duration for 10 minutes. 

Does your area need rain?  I hope you all aren't in drought conditions.

This is adorable:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/09/books/review/typing-classes-the-aubrey-maturin-series-and-other-letters-to-the-editor.html

Type Writer
To the Editor:

In her letter to the editor (June 27), inspired by a review of Danielle Dreilinger’s “The Secret History of Home Economics,” Jane Feder relates how as an eighth grader she regretted being automatically assigned to a sewing class while boys were placed in “shop” class.

I grew up in Long Beach, N.Y., where Feder now lives. In our high school, boys took shop and girls typing. My father advised me to transfer. “You will never be a carpenter,” he said, but typing was a valuable skill to acquire (especially for someone with indecipherable handwriting — just ask my own students). I did manage to switch and learned more of practical use in typing than any other class. And who could object to being the only boy in a class of 30?

Eric Foner
New York

The writer is the author of “The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution.” [Plus so many more books ... Z]

Only in Louisiana! (Though Mobile already did it.)  Tardi Gras! To make for losing 2021's February Mardi Gras, they will have it in September.  Mardi Gras's a'comin' Babeeeeeee!

Today is the first day of summer holiday.  I now have six weeks of freedom.  Usually, I'm more excited about getting away from the students, but this time it's more about escaping from my useless coworkers.

5 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Today is the first day of summer holiday.  I now have six weeks of freedom.  Usually, I'm more excited about getting away from the students, but this time it's more about escaping from my useless coworkers.

I have an officer transferring to my team who is with me for 3 days and then off for 6 weeks (my staff work 9 or 10 hour days and then take the school holidays off). Absolute piss take but good for him, and he will have to make the hours up down the road. 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Exhaustion from an 8 week old baby is justification for us both forgetting our anniversary right? 

One would think that.  Plus -- don't you have a small child in the household as well?  

Nevertheless, Congratulations, you guys, on your anniversary!

On 7/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Exhaustion from an 8 week old baby is justification for us both forgetting our anniversary right? 

Eh if she forgot to, just rejoice, that's like a get out of jail free card, and you know you'll need it eventually when you forget again in a few years.:lol:

Archived