Video Games - Legendary Edition

Rhom

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've been playing BattleTech again. I have the Flashpoint DLC, and I got annoyed when I realized that the 'Flashpoints' only become active after you finish the main story. Why???

But I finished the main story, and have done one Flashpoint so far. Ok, nothing impressive about it. I did manage to have a much better time reaching the end of the main story this time, because I took more time doing mercenary missions, and build up my strength steadily. I didn't lose any of my original Mech Warriors, and by the end 2 of them and my character were all maxed out on skills. I've also had more assault mechs, but still failed to get one of the 100T's by the end. And now I have 2 Atlas mechs. But I'm one 1/3 short of getting a King Crab. 

I'll probably play a little more, but I have a feeling I'll get bored soon enough. I don't know if the other DLCs are worth it.

I have been building up enthusiasm for a replay, although I think I'll probably tackle MechWarrior 5 first, to get another fix in the same universe from a different perspective.

I believe the main benefit of the DLCs is cumulative, so none of the DLCs is revelatory by themselves, but altogether they make some nice differences: the urban combat environments and the switch to ballistics-based weaponry (so now if you miss your primary target and hit another enemy standing behind them, they'll actually take damage, which is great) and the flashpoints etc. Also the ability to start the game in a different way.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

I have been building up enthusiasm for a replay, although I think I'll probably tackle MechWarrior 5 first, to get another fix in the same universe from a different perspective.

I believe the main benefit of the DLCs is cumulative, so none of the DLCs is revelatory by themselves, but altogether they make some nice differences: the urban combat environments and the switch to ballistics-based weaponry (so now if you miss your primary target and hit another enemy standing behind them, they'll actually take damage, which is great) and the flashpoints etc. Also the ability to start the game in a different way.

The stray shot thing applies to all weapon types. It also applies to buildings, so if you put your mech on top of a destroyable building, you could be in trouble. Was it added with the Flashpoint, or just with a game update? I know the game had some updates since release. One time one of my shots hit another mech next to the one targeted, and it was powerful enough to take that mech's arm off.

Still getting through GTA4. Based on my playing time versus my original playthrough ten years ago or so, it seems to be taking longer this time (34 hours versus 26, and I've still a way to go in the main storyline), which is odd. I did do the optional missions which I think I missed first time through (races for Brucie, car thefts for Stevie, drug deals for Little Jacob and assassinations for "The Fixer"), but it's really fast to do those jobs. I've mostly been ignoring "dates" apart from the ones needed for the story, so not sure what's going on there.

GTA4's city design is also odd. In GTA3 they gave each of the three islands a very distinct character and atmosphere that seems to be missing from GTA4. Apart from central island's uptown section (which does impressively feel like lower Manhattan, with the Empire State Building moved to a new location), the city feels fairly identikit across the three islands and the design is oddly artificial, arguably even more than GTA3's in every area apart from size (the weirdness of the post-GTA3 cities all being on islands apparently in the middle of the ocean despite being all part of America is also occasionally a bit immersion-breaking).

Yikes. The Dying Light 2 developers released a weird video basically kowtowing to the most toxic, obnoxious parts of their fanbase (the sort of people sending them death threats). Not a good look, especially coming after Rise of Skywalker and the Snyder Cut "rewarding" internet arseholes as well.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Still getting through GTA4. Based on my playing time versus my original playthrough ten years ago or so, it seems to be taking longer this time (34 hours versus 26, and I've still a way to go in the main storyline), which is odd. I did do the optional missions which I think I missed first time through (races for Brucie, car thefts for Stevie, drug deals for Little Jacob and assassinations for "The Fixer"), but it's really fast to do those jobs. I've mostly been ignoring "dates" apart from the ones needed for the story, so not sure what's going on there.

GTA4's city design is also odd. In GTA3 they gave each of the three islands a very distinct character and atmosphere that seems to be missing from GTA4. Apart from central island's uptown section (which does impressively feel like lower Manhattan, with the Empire State Building moved to a new location), the city feels fairly identikit across the three islands and the design is oddly artificial, arguably even more than GTA3's in every area apart from size (the weirdness of the post-GTA3 cities all being on islands apparently in the middle of the ocean despite being all part of America is also occasionally a bit immersion-breaking).

GTA4 is the only GTA game since Vice City that I can't remember a single area of, so I think you hit the nail on the head.  It's just a generic looking New York clone that was very pretty at the time.

Only a few missions left in GoT. Doubt there's more than five or so hours of required game play left. I'll probably wait until the weekend to finish it though. After that I guess I have to retry The Last of Us albeit on an easier setting. 

Am I the only one that really liked GTA IV's New Y- I mean, Liberty City? They got the "feel" of various different city parts right, to the point where I could mentally compare them during my visit to the actual NYC. Maybe people are tired of it because NYC is kinda overexposed in modern pop art, but I enjoyed exploring Rockstar's version of it.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Only a few missions left in GoT. Doubt there's more than five or so hours of required game play left. I'll probably wait until the weekend to finish it though. After that I guess I have to retry The Last of Us albeit on an easier setting. 

What level were you playing on before, and where were you having trouble?

49 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

What level were you playing on before, and where were you having trouble?

Medium, but I was just having issues at the beginning mostly. I dropped it down to easy, figured out the game mechanics as they were a fair bit different than RDR2, then bumped it back up to medium and then hard. If I revisit the game once I beat it I will try lethal, but I'll probably just die a lot. 

#TheLastOfUs:EasyMode

I made it to the second island in Ghost of Tsushima... I must admit that I'm confused.  It looks so much bigger... but my skill tree is pretty full of the stuff I want already.  :dunno: 

I also got into a fight with some of the new enemies (that used to be friends) and found myself having to be much more cautious for some reason.

My one gripe is that I find myself changing clothes a lot in the game.  I put on my Traveler's Outfit for when traversing new parts of the map due to the fact that it clears more of the Fog of War, but as soon as I get into an occupied settlement I'm switching into my Ronin gear. 

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I made it to the second island in Ghost of Tsushima... I must admit that I'm confused.  It looks so much bigger... but my skill tree is pretty full of the stuff I want already.  :dunno: 

I also got into a fight with some of the new enemies (that used to be friends) and found myself having to be much more cautious for some reason.

My one gripe is that I find myself changing clothes a lot in the game.  I put on my Traveler's Outfit for when traversing new parts of the map due to the fact that it clears more of the Fog of War, but as soon as I get into an occupied settlement I'm switching into my Ronin gear. 

I literally just beat the game, though I guess I have a few unfinished quests on the third island. Prioritize upgrading your sword and skill tree. Upgrade your clan armor and the Khan's armor is awesome and requires no upgrades. Keep working your way South to North. Always go back down when something pops up on the map. Follow all the foxes! 

ETA: Thank you, @aceluby, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. 

Finished GTAIV's campaign, but I need a break before redoing the Episodes, so back to Age of Empires II.

I finally got the greatest achievement in the history of video games and am very proud.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:12 PM, Gorn said:

Am I the only one that really liked GTA IV's New Y- I mean, Liberty City? They got the "feel" of various different city parts right, to the point where I could mentally compare them during my visit to the actual NYC. Maybe people are tired of it because NYC is kinda overexposed in modern pop art, but I enjoyed exploring Rockstar's version of it.

It still is an amazing achievement technically, even if the compression is much more obvious now than it was at the time (helped by the fact that I've actually been to Real New York since playing the game for the first time). But after San Andreas gave us such a variety of countryside, small towns, and three different cities (albeit slimmed-down ones), going back to a single endless metropolis did feel like a step back. Apparently the designers wanted to including surrounding countryside but management shot them down, then reversed course for GTAV.

What is weird to contemplate is that this is the start of the "current" GTA era (going through VOnline and presumably VI, despite being quite old), although you probably wouldn't get away with a map this small these days.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m glad more people are playing and enjoying GoT.

@Tywin et al.

Reveal hidden contents

Did you kill the uncle or spare him? 

Spoiler

Killed him. I was surprised you fight him immediately after the Khan. The ending kind came as a surprise, just like with GTA5.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I literally just beat the game, though I guess I have a few unfinished quests on the third island. Prioritize upgrading your sword and skill tree. Upgrade your clan armor and the Khan's armor is awesome and requires no upgrades. Keep working your way South to North. Always go back down when something pops up on the map. Follow all the foxes! 

Wait... there’s a third island?!!!? :lol: 

I am working my way across the south with the exception of a detour pretty far out of my way to get the last farming village key for the armor of Gosaku.

I missed the timing on a standoff with a Ronin and found myself surrounded by seven dudes.  I hit the smoke bomb just to try to get some space, but wound up able to do a three string assassination and that eased things up quite a bit.

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wait... there’s a third island?!!!? :lol: 

Third act, sorry. The island is broken up into three parts, but you often are left needing to do quests in previously defeated areas, hence why I said keep going South when things pop up, even if the main quests appear to be to the North.

I am working my way across the south with the exception of a detour pretty far out of my way to get the last farming village key for the armor of Gosaku.

It takes a bit longer to acquire that armor. Again, once you get it, focus on you clan armor, and the Ghost armor if you want. I just used the Khan's armor once I got it because it comes complete, though the clan armor may be better if you upgrade it all the way (I did, but I preferred the benefits of the Khan's armor, wish I could be more helpful on the charms, but I just went full tank. Crushed everything on hard except the duels).

I missed the timing on a standoff with a Ronin and found myself surrounded by seven dudes.  I hit the smoke bomb just to try to get some space, but wound up able to do a three string assassination and that eased things up quite a bit.

I screwed up a lot of standoffs while feeling like I did the same thing every time it worked. Shit happens...

May give The Last of Us a second chance today, but I will have to play it non easy mode.

On 3/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Wow, just crushed it! I’m still finishing up the main quests on the 2nd part of the island. Glad you liked it!

Archived