Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Arriving at the end of Life of Pi, I still don't get how this film didn't win Best Picture. It's one of the greatest films ever made. 

Pi > Life of Pi.

We've been very fortunate downunder to have been able to watch movies in cinema, even with the veil of restrictions upon us. I fully appreciate how difficult it has been for the theatres running their businesses which is why I make an effort to spend at as many local businesses as possible, but as an introvert, going to watch a newly released movie on a giant screen where its only you and a handful of other people has been a treat. Today I had the chance to watch Godzila vs Kong, but hot-damn every session was nigh packed and I couldn't bring myself to sit amongst the throngs. I'll bide my time.

Which unfortunately means the last movie I've seen was Cosmic Sins - yes, this is current showing in theatres here. Buoyed by the very enjoyable Boss Level with Frank Grillo I thought, "Oh cool, another Frank Grillo movie - this one with Bruce Willis? Can't miss."  Jesus H. Christ, take my eyes Lord please. Give this one a miss! If David Fincher ever saw this he'd have to remake Se7en as 8ight.

3 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Which unfortunately means the last movie I've seen was Cinema Sins - yes, this is current showing in theatres here.

Assuming you mean Cosmic Sins, is it as genocide-supportive as the trailer made it look? Like the title indicates otherwise but the trailer made it seem like the film fully supports attacking aliens we just met with no provocation as a preventative measure in case they're as bloodthirsty.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Assuming you mean Cosmic Sins, is it as genocide-supportive as the trailer made it look? Like the title indicates otherwise but the trailer made it seem like the film fully supports attacking aliens we just met with no provocation as a preventative measure in case they're as bloodthirsty.

thanks for the heads up, had a drink or three as compensation for not seeing GvK. Truly though, the title fits as both a Cinema Sin and a Cosmic Sin.

The story, as sold in the trailer, and presented in the movie is quite good. But the supporting actors and dialogue are terrible, and both Grillo, and Willis in particular, seem to stoop down to the level of everyone else.

Watched Arrival (2016) for the first time last night. I know I'm particularly late to this party, but this was an excellent film. I think I skipped it at the time because I really hated Sicarrio and then I never really got around to see it. I came close a few times on the airplane, but I'm glad I didn't go for it then. This is a film that really deserves to be seen on a bigger screen in a calm setting, to really take in its greatness.

The film looked absolutely beautiful and I was intrigued by all design choices in this film. The actors were great and the story did surprise me. I had gone in absolutely cold and that was really a great decision. Glad to finally see a film that gives linguists there due and that in such a poignant film.

This makes me even more curious for Dune, as this and Blade Runner 2084 are just such glorious films. I want to see more Villeneuve Sci-fi.

16 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Don't listen to Ty, Chronicles of Riddick is a bonkers awesome movie. It's what you would call a great B movie. I don't begrudge anyone who prefers Pitch Black, but I like Chronicles more. The third one was disappointing, though.

Hallelujah, it's as if I wrote this post myself. Agreed completely and thanks for the validation. It's still a tragedy that Chronicles never got a proper sequel.

2 hours ago, ithanos said:

We've been very fortunate downunder to have been able to watch movies in cinema, even with the veil of restrictions upon us. I fully appreciate how difficult it has been for the theatres running their businesses which is why I make an effort to spend at as many local businesses as possible, but as an introvert, going to watch a newly released movie on a giant screen where its only you and a handful of other people has been a treat. Today I had the chance to watch Godzila vs Kong, but hot-damn every session was nigh packed and I couldn't bring myself to sit amongst the throngs. I'll bide my time.

Is this out anywhere else but Australia? I so want to see this, but it's probably a mistake not seeing this in theatre.

15 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Is this out anywhere else but Australia? I so want to see this, but it's probably a mistake not seeing this in theatre.

Comes out on the 31st in the States and on HBO Max.   It's out internationally.  

Spoiler

I've been looking forward to this as well, although the super-powered Godzilla of the Legendverse is more than a match for Kong, having knocked out a three-headed regenerating dragon in the last epic throw down. 

They've tried to even things out by giving Kong a weapon, but it sort of feels like he would need a kaiju-sized handheld rocket launcher or something.  

44 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Let me add myself to the list who thought Chronicles of Riddick was the epitome of bad in a great way.  

It's a fun bad film. I just think Pitch Black is a legit good film, it's the rare horror movie that is actually a bit scary, and the mystery of Riddick in it makes the character frightening, even if you find out that's not completely true. Sometimes less is more, and the Chronicles of Riddick give the character too much backstory IMO.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a fun bad film. I just think Pitch Black is a legit good film, it's the rare horror movie that is actually a bit scary, and the mystery of Riddick in it makes the character frightening, even if you find out that's not completely true. Sometimes less is more, and the Chronicles of Riddick give the character too much backstory IMO.

Pitch Black is a great fucking movie, as is Chronicles. Karl Urban, my all time top mancrush, is a great villian, and I loved all the Underverse stuff. 

The only one I have issues with is Riddick. It's basically a cack-handed reworking of Pitch Black, with a completely unnecessary rapey vibe to it. 

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I bought on Blu-Ray from Amazon a couple weeks ago. It just arrived this morning. 

My Blue Ray player has quit working and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. This is just another reason why I need to do so.

Archived