Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

12 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I'm just 15 min or so in the first ep of The Shield. Am I supposed to think all of these cops are a-holes - and  mysogynists - this point or is it just me?

You are. They're not good people but it's complicated; they do some good.

52 minutes ago, Mexal said:

You are. They're not good people but it's complicated; they do some good.

Well, the ending was certainly a surprise.

Spoiler

And here I thought they were trying to sell me White Baldy as the reall (relatively speaking) good one, what with his heart of gold with the sex worker. and him saving the blonde little girl...

Interesting that they use the black woman to justify criminal cops... I love that actress, she was in many shows since the Nineties.

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Well, the ending was certainly a surprise.

Hide contents

And here I thought they were trying to sell me White Baldy as the reall (relatively speaking) good one, what with his heart of gold with the sex worker. and him saving the blonde little girl...

Interesting that they use the black woman to justify criminal cops... I love that actress, she was in many shows since the Nineties.

You're in for a treat.

CCH Pounder is amazing. Incredible actress and great character.

I wanted to watch something I haven't seen before, but I'm going through a ton of old Best Picture winners and it feels like I've either scene them all or have no desire to see the ones I haven't. I may end up just watching Collateral (not a BP film) because I only hear people say glowing things about it.

13 hours ago, Veltigar said:

As we're stuck in lockdown again, I decided to start watching one of the great series I never had the courage to start before. I opted for The Shield as it is the longest series I still haven't seen yet. Even in these pandemic times 7 seasons sounds scary, but I'm liking it so far. I'm three episodes in and it's weird how this feels like a fusion between older type of cop series and the new Golden Era of TV that was happening at around the same time. I quite like it already though. Vick Mackey is such a jerk, but you can see the charm he has.

Stick through it. There are ups and downs over the seasons but even in my last re-watch it holds up solidly over the course of the show. The introduction of some new characters that @Mexal mentions give it some new life and it all leads up to an amazing final season, and what I still consider the best series finale ever even after all of this time.

12 hours ago, Mexal said:

Oh yea and just wait. It doesn't get any easier in the themes they deal with. There are also some new compelling characters that really steal the show as the seasons go on (e.g., Forrest Whittaker, Glenn Close).

That's quite the casting for an FX show from the nillies :blink: Very curios now!

10 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I'm just 15 min or so in the first ep of The Shield. Am I supposed to think all of these cops are a-holes - and  mysogynists - this point or is it just me?

I'm glad I'm not the only newbie on the force ;) Will you try another episode as well?

5 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Stick through it. There are ups and downs over the seasons but even in my last re-watch it holds up solidly over the course of the show. The introduction of some new characters that @Mexal mentions give it some new life and it all leads up to an amazing final season, and what I still consider the best series finale ever even after all of this time.

Curious what the down moments are? Any particular season or stuff? Than I know I can power through :) 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wanted to watch something I haven't seen before, but I'm going through a ton of old Best Picture winners and it feels like I've either scene them all or have no desire to see the ones I haven't. I may end up just watching Collateral (not a BP film) because I only hear people say glowing things about it.

Collateral is amazing. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen! To this day, I still don't understand how Michael Mann was able to hide all those cameras from Tom Cruise :) 

Last night I decided to do a re-watch of Howl's Moving Castle. This was one of my favourite books a child. I was so excited when it was adapted. I went to see it at the cinema when it came out and I was just so disappointed by it. Over the years I have wondered whether I was harsh on it, whether I had unrealistic expectations, whether I was just judging it by some western animation expectations.. SO THEN... For about the first half hour I thought it was sort of funny and cute. But after that

I wondered why they repeatedly kept showing Sophie as a young woman instead of an elderly one. I guess they wanted to give away the fact that Howl knew she was under a spell the whole time (we the reader aren't aware of that until they end of the story so that sort of spoils it a little), but then do they just forget that Sophie is meant to be under a spell for 90% of the story? Why is she hardly ever seen as an old lady in the latter half of the film?

I guess it is made for a different audience but I really feel that it's lost all of its humour and charm. The book is a love story, yes, but it's also funny. It shows Howl having a personality arc - this is not really shown in the film. Also Sophie's brand of down-to-earth magic (which is peak DWJ) is absent from the film too - they don't explain about the scarecrow, why he is following Sophie. The 1000 league boots were sorely missed too and the curse put on Howl wasn't explained fully. I don't know... I wanted to like it so much but it just missed the mark in so many ways and I am sad about it all over again.

16 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Noble cause corruption. I'm fine with it ;)

I ultimately went with The French Connection, because while I know I had seen some of it, I couldn't remember if I had seen it through start to finish. It's a good film, and Hackman was a worthy Oscar winner, but it should not have beaten out  A Clockwork Orange for Best Picture imo. The three acts of the film seem really uneven, with the first not being all that great, the second being above average and the third being awesome, but the ending does kind of suck. Still, all the cat and mouse stuff in the film is one fun journey. It's also an example of why you can't call an older film cliché because it was guilty of being the first to establish said cliché by today's standards.

8 hours ago, Isis said:

Last night I decided to do a re-watch of Howl's Moving Castle. This was one of my favourite books a child. I was so excited when it was adapted. I went to see it at the cinema when it came out and I was just so disappointed by it.

It's not a very faithful adaptation if that's what you're looking for, but it is an excellent film in its own right.

8 hours ago, Isis said:
  Hide contents

I wondered why they repeatedly kept showing Sophie as a young woman instead of an elderly one.

Spoiler

It's been a while, but the impression I got was that her age fluctuated based on her state of mind.

13 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm glad I'm not the only newbie on the force ;) Will you try another episode as well?

I'm not sure, I think I'd find it depressing right now.

Maybe I should try The Wire?

As for Dr. Who, I would have loved it as a child! (And maybe I did watch classic Who, I don't remember.) I'm watching ep 5 now, and all in all, I find it mildly entertaining, but burping bins and farting aliens are just not my knd of humor. And I somehow can't get interested in the main characters, or Victorian "ghosts", or any of the aliens. Of those first eps, I liked the second one best.  Love the intro, though, and it was nice to see the actor of Dickens again. He was on of the better parts of "Four Marriages And A Funeral". Oh, and I might watch the first eps of the current doc, if just because some fans freaked out when a woman was announced.

It's really hard for me to find something that suits me right now. I watched the first episode of Parks and Recreation, and while it was funny, I also started to get annoyed/ frustrated with the protagonist (and her "helpful" co-workers) already.

I could finally catch up with OITNB (after s5) or AD (after s1), or try this show about an AU of the moon landing... I don't know.

Someone recommended Person of Interest to me, but said that s1 would probably be a bit of a struggle. Lays some groundwork, though, so shouldn't be skipped.

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Curious what the down moments are? Any particular season or stuff? Than I know I can power through :) 

I can't recall specifically as my last re-watch was a few years ago. There's no down season but there will be filler episodes that can make a season feel a little bloated.. at least as far as I can remember. 

Archived