Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've been planning to watch this for ages but I've predominantly been watching comedies for over a year since the pandemic started. Even its a sin had its funny sections. Does it have any uplifting bits, I just can't face something that is relentlessly sad or miserable. 

I would describe it as a dark comedy-drama. It has upsetting content and themes but it's told through the lens of dark comedy. I cried at every episode of Its a Sin but didn't cry at I May Destroy You so make of that what you will

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Michaela Coel is so talented. It actually seems like a similar trajectory to PWB, where both had a promising start (Chewing Gum, Crashing) and have been able to really just improve their writing and acting over time. If you haven't checked out I May Destroy You I would definitely recommend it

It's definitely on my list!

Have a weakness for Kong films. By far my favorite Kong is Dino De Laurentis's King Kong (1976), not least due to Jessica Lange, an wonderful actor with a great sense for the right parts.  I was delighted by the update, featuring a search for new oil fields. I loved this one as much as Marion Cooper's.

Have never had stomach for Godzilla, no matter what the context, so despite a 'Kong' I won't be bothering with this latest.

~~~~~~~~

Did a couple eps of the Irregulars (Netflix).  Horror, none of the stuff for which that one loves Sherlock Holmes and Watson, not cerebral crime solving.  Also so predictable.  Cheesy cgi effects and that horrid omnipresent blue mud screen to tell us this is the end of the 19th century in a city . The interesting element is that, like Bridgerton, this is a racially all-class inclusive London -- though w/o even Bridgerton's attempt to explain it. It isn't at all the history of England as we know it in the London of Holmes and Watson. Alternate history-horror? Probably won’t finish watching.  Why are NF’s originals generally barely mediocre, if even that?

Looking forward to Concrete Cowboy though.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Have a weakness for Kong films. By far my favorite Kong is Dino De Laurentis's King Kong (1976), not least due to Jessica Lange, an wonderful actor with a great sense for the right parts.  I was delighted by the update, featuring a search for new oil fields. I loved this one as much as Marion Cooper's.

Have never had stomach for Godzilla, no matter what the context, so despite a 'Kong' I won't be bothering with this latest.

Same here.  I dunno why, but I've always been interested in Kong but not Godzilla.  Seen all the recent Kong films (including the 76 one) and none of the Godzilla ones.

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A couple weeks ago I finished the first 5 seasons of Clone Wars

Hide contents

In this context, order 66 doesn’t hold up for me. Maybe I should watch more Star Wars lore for a fuller picture. But at this point I don’t get how “Captain Cody” would just shoot “General Kenobi” down because a creep calls him on his mobile and says so.

Don't worry, that does get addressed in the last couple of seasons B)

Watching The Replacements

It took me a long time to realize the crazy cop guy is Happy from the MCU. 

Edit: Now I’m 13 minutes minutes into Godzilla vs. Kong I’m thinking

Why don’t they hit Godzilla with the weapon that nearly killed him before Ken fixed him with a nuke?

I can't lie, I loved Godzilla vs Kong. Is the plot kind of dumb? Yes. Are some of the human subplots even worse? Double yes. But I did not watch this movie for a great plot, and I knew the humans would mostly suck (the little girl is awesome though). The film has a good pace and the big dumb fights were really impressive. The graphics department deserves double pay. 

ETA:

Spoiler

Called it. Buddy cop movie in the U.S. Politics thread.

ETA2: Which version of Godzilla's face is the best? No wrong answers, except for the ones everyone hates.

Chaos Walking is actually quite enjoyable.  Seems the general audience like it a lot more than the critics and reviewers.  Fairly simple story but neat world-building and the social implications to the premise are intriguing enough to distract from the broadly drawn characters and straightforward plot.  Whatever reshoots they did successfully saved it from whatever reason it got so much negativity with the first cut of it.

Okay, The Shield talk, I just need to vent. Dutch has to go. Sick bastard

Spoiler

He strangled a fucking cat. I'm rooting for his painful demise.

On 4/2/2021 at 5:33 AM, Ran said:

Watched Spider-Man: Far From Home. Gyllenhaal was wasted, just a nothing of a character. Keaton was so much more interesting, and better motivated, as the Vulture. I liked the start of it, particularly the musical selections when going to Venice, but the way they kept having Peter just casually doing stuff without his mask, or with practically no mask to speak of, and somehow no one notices sort of made the cliffhanger at the end hold no real weight -- it just seemed forced and silly.

Fun enough in a mediocre sort of way, could probably have stood to be 10-15 minutes shorter. 

It's definitely nowhere near as good as Homecoming, but it suitably scratches the Spider-Man itch and is still the best cinematic adaptation of the character thus far outside of the Spider-Verse movie.  The main issue I have with Far From Home is that it seems more about Iron Man than Spider-Man.  Other than that, it's dumb but consistently funny, Gyllenhaal is great even if his character isn't, and the special effects were utilized in a fun and creative way during the Mysterio fights.  

Agree about the mask stuff.  In every scene I expect one of his friends to walk around the corner and catch him with his mask off.  I thought for sure that Flash was going to stumble upon Peter and MJ at the end of the movie when they have their five minute conversation with his mask off.

Fun enough in a mediocre way basically describes about half of Marvel's movies.  They're all either really good or enjoyably mediocre.

Though Far from Home was pretty similar to other Marvel movies in that it has all the ingredients for a great movie but just goes for the most boring, least risky conclusion.Spidey,  Travelling the world, Mysterio, Gyllenhaal, all should add up to something great, but in the end it’s just a big boring CGI set piece.

Guess I’m too old to find that interesting, but I’m starting to wonder if teenagers like that either? Surely they must be bored by now?

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Okay, The Shield talk, I just need to vent. Dutch has to go. Sick bastard

Hide contents

He strangled a fucking cat. I'm rooting for his painful demise.

Spoiler

Dutch wondering if he's a sociopath was such an interesting story choice.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

It's definitely nowhere near as good as Homecoming, but it suitably scratches the Spider-Man itch and is still the best cinematic adaptation of the character thus far outside of the Spider-Verse movie. 

I was thinking that going into the film, because I did think Tom Holland really nailed Peter Parker in Homecoming, but something about how he was written in this film made me start to have doubts about it. I think it's partially due to the MCU casting him in the position of "heir to Tony Stark" which feels at odds with the character's traditional background and history and which, as you say, seems to make this film more about Tony than Peter.

Like, yeah, he's not been thrown vast amounts of money, but OTOH stuff like his galivanting around the world on a high school trip feels like a very rich-kid sort of thing to be doing, or being given control of a multi-billion dollar defense system... It's weird. It's a mistake, honestly. 

Visually, Holland's defintitely closer than any other actor to Peter Parker. That said, I remain fond of Raimi's interpretation of the character as channeled through Tobey Maguire. He struggles a lot more in the ways the comic book character did.

Bob's Burgers his finally hit Disney+ and I started watching season 7. I'm also waiting for Angel and Golden Girls. Disney+ has a lot of stuff older stuff in the pipeline that I want to watch. I nearly finished Buffy but season 7 is not holding my interest very well.

I watched Captive State on Netflix and was not impressed.

Invincible is holding my interest and I like the things they changed from the comics so far.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Bob's Burgers his finally hit Disney+ and I started watching season 7.

The show has fallen off a bit the last three or so seasons. Seven was still quite good though. The characters still make me laugh but at times it seems like they're reaching for ideas. I recently watched an episode where the plot was:

Linda wants to take a nice photo of the family for a late christmas card, so they go to a national park. She gets the perfect photo but then drops the camera and then catches it on the other side of a rock in such a way that her hand is stuck unless she drops the camera down a cliff. Like....what?  

Finished the first season of The Knick. Not the most uplifting of shows, but still, I really appreciated the acting, sets and realism of the story. Can't wait to see the second season after a break.

@Ran, You weren't kidding.... Makes Nip/Tuck look basic.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You weren't kidding.... Makes Nip/Tuck look basic.

Second season becomes very melodramatic and over-the-top as it progresses, I'll just say here. Still worth a watch, but it's a bit of a curveball.

To the surprise of everyone, last year word came out that Barry Jenkins and André Holland are working on reviving the show for a third season along with the showrunners (Soderbergh is not directly involved, but presumably will have an executive producer credit).

20 minutes ago, Ran said:

Second season becomes very melodramatic and over-the-top as it progresses, I'll just say here. Still worth a watch, but it's a bit of a curveball.

To the surprise of everyone, last year word came out that Barry Jenkins and André Holland are working on reviving the show for a third season along with the showrunners (Soderbergh is not directly involved, but presumably will have an executive producer credit).

Describing it as over-the-top must be saying something given the first season. I'm absolutely going to check it out, but I need a break from the story. 

And with that, what to uplift myself with, read about fighting in Congress in the lead up to the Civil War or play The Last of Us? So much positivity today, lol.

Archived