Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

Just finished Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior (2003), the Thai martial arts film with Tony Jaa. Fuck this movie is awesome, yet also very early 2000ish (it just needed some Limp Bizkit to make it fully early 2000s compatible). I want to see Tony Jaa fight Scott Adkins, the guys from the Raid and Donnie Yen now XD

This was a much better film than I was expecting. I had hoped to see another Mad Dog, with great fight sequences and a stupid story but it was actually better than that. More like Avengement really as this had an actual emotional story arc in the form of the George character on top of just insane displays of martial arts prowess by Jaa. This film also holds the rare distinction of making the comic relief work. Usually a lot of these Asian action films unduly waste time on stupid fart joke characters, but here they struck the right balance. I'd strongly recommend this not just for action aficionados, but also for the lover of the better film in general.  

I'm curious about the sequels now (technically prequels if my info is correct). Does anyone here recommend those?

53 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I want to see Tony Jaa fight Scott Adkins, the guys from the Raid and Donnie Yen now XD

He's with Donnie Yen in Triple X 3, although they don't fight each other (and Jaa is disappointingly underused in general).

Ong-Bak is awesome, as is Warrior King (or The Protector or whatever it's called wherever people are, a very many-titled film it seems).

42 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Maybe I should rewatch Rome. I can't seem to find something to watch right now... But I also remember I was a bit disappointed in season 2.

Five years ago or so I found the first season on DVD at my step-grandmother's house. There was no cable or internet because it was just an empty house no one was living in, and she had no idea what the wifi password was. So it was all I watched, and I loved it. When I got back home I started watching the second season, but I didn't like it and I really thought the first season was perfect as is. Having just watched it to competition in the last week or so, I will say it starts slower and the season on the whole is far more darker than the first, but it's still great and without giving anything away, I loved the ending. 

Finally getting round to The Leftovers. Tried watching it back when it came out, but just couldn't take how grim and depressing everything was. I bailed when the GR started stoning their own.

Went back to the beginning last week, and so glad I did. This is now quite possibly one of my favourite ever TV shows. Just approaching the end of season two, last night I watched the International Assassin episode. I love Kevin Garvey's character, he is so entertaining. And I'm assuming the place he spent this episode is the exact same place as the alternate Lost world, where people are slightly different versions of themselves.

Cracking stuff - can't wait to see where Lindelöf takes it in season three.

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Just finished Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior (2003), the Thai martial arts film with Tony Jaa. Fuck this movie is awesome, yet also very early 2000ish (it just needed some Limp Bizkit to make it fully early 2000s compatible). I want to see Tony Jaa fight Scott Adkins, the guys from the Raid and Donnie Yen now XD

This was a much better film than I was expecting. I had hoped to see another Mad Dog, with great fight sequences and a stupid story but it was actually better than that. More like Avengement really as this had an actual emotional story arc in the form of the George character on top of just insane displays of martial arts prowess by Jaa. This film also holds the rare distinction of making the comic relief work. Usually a lot of these Asian action films unduly waste time on stupid fart joke characters, but here they struck the right balance. I'd strongly recommend this not just for action aficionados, but also for the lover of the better film in general.  

I'm curious about the sequels now (technically prequels if my info is correct). Does anyone here recommend those?

Triple Threat stars Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais and Scott Adkins (plus Tiger Chen and Michael Jai White), and I think Tony Jaa fights Scott Adkins there, though I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Triple Threat stars Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais and Scott Adkins (plus Tiger Chen and Michael Jai White), and I think Tony Jaa fights Scott Adkins there, though I could be wrong.

To quote Rick & Morty "You Son of a Bitch, I'm in!" :D Thanks for the tip ;) 

EDIT: Apparently it's the same director as Mad Dog and Avengement, so I'm already excited for this :D 

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

He's with Donnie Yen in Triple X 3, although they don't fight each other (and Jaa is disappointingly underused in general).

Ong-Bak is awesome, as is Warrior King (or The Protector or whatever it's called wherever people are, a very many-titled film it seems).

If they don't fight each other it doesn't count ;) The Protector is now also added to my watch list :D 

8 hours ago, Mexal said:

God, I haven't seen Ong-Bak in so long. I just asked my wife if we could watch it and she was like "fuck yea, easiest request ever". I'm so excited.

Enjoy! :D 

On 3/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I loved the ending. 

Spoiler

At that ending I couldn't wait to watch Attia and Livia squaring off in season 3. That smile on the face of Octavia as the o so careful conflict / rivalry of precedence between Attia and Livia was priceless -- especially because the irrepressible Attia won!  If anybody knows Attia, it's Octavia.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:
  Reveal hidden contents

At that ending I couldn't wait to watch Attia and Livia squaring off in season 3. That smile on the face of Octavia as the o so careful conflict / rivalry of precedence between Attia and Livia was priceless -- especially because the irrepressible Attia won!  If anybody knows Attia, it's Octavia.

That was fun too, but I was mostly thinking of the very last line said in the series.

I wish more of the Oscar pics were easy to get at, but Promising Young Woman just became available on demand. I don't want to say too much because of how new it is, but I'd recommend it to all regardless of your tastes in film. Carey Mulligan is such a good actress.

Watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003). What a great film. I saw this once years ago in my post-Gladiator "Everything that Russel Crowe does is a gift from God" phase and I didn't really like it then. Thought it was boring and plodding, revisiting it after almost twenty years I'm struck by how wrong I was back then. In fact, if I could jump on the Flashes back or use the Time Stone or whatever nerdy shit enables time travel I'd go back and beat up my younger self in the goold ol' fightin' around the world tradition of Russel Crowe. 

Such a shame that this bombed at the box office. I would have liked to see a franchise made out of this, although I do wonder what they would have done in future films. It seems one is more limited by the boat setting than you would be in comparable type of franchises set on land (e.g. Sharpe, Flashman, etc.). Still, I'm quite curious and I'll probably put one of the source novels on my wish list. I do like these escapist historical capers from time to time, particularly when they are based on meticulous research and that seems to be the case with the novels as far as I can tell.

Anyways, back to the movie, I thought it was an excellent low-key historical film that had a lot of respect for its setting. It's more Rob Roy than Braveheart, despite of the fact that there are some genuinely thrilling action set pieces in this. The actors are all great, the narrative never tiers and I feel like I actually got a pretty good idea of ho life in the Royal Navy was like in those days. Great success and I'd warmly recommend people watching or revisiting this.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wish more of the Oscar pics were easy to get at, but Promising Young Woman just became available on demand. I don't want to say too much because of how new it is, but I'd recommend it to all regardless of your tastes in film. Carey Mulligan is such a good actress.

You know Nomadland is going to win all the awards, but I myself would prefer Promising Young Woman to win (at least between the two of them, haven't seen a lot of the others).

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003). What a great film.

Agreed! Shame it didn't launch a franchise adapting more of the books.

Thought it was boring and plodding, revisiting it after almost twenty years I'm struck by how wrong I was back then.

Do you think the reverse can happen? Like... you really like a movie despite it being boring and plodding, and twenty years from now you'll realize "Jeez, what was I thinking?"

I'm not thinking of any specific recently released film, of course, just musing.

:rofl:

Still, I'm quite curious and I'll probably put one of the source novels on my wish list.

You absolutely should. They are marvelous fun.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003). What a great film. I saw this once years ago in my post-Gladiator "Everything that Russel Crowe does is a gift from God" phase and I didn't really like it then. Thought it was boring and plodding, revisiting it after almost twenty years I'm struck by how wrong I was back then. In fact, if I could jump on the Flashes back or use the Time Stone or whatever nerdy shit enables time travel I'd go back and beat up my younger self in the goold ol' fightin' around the world tradition of Russel Crowe. 

Such a shame that this bombed at the box office. I would have liked to see a franchise made out of this, although I do wonder what they would have done in future films. It seems one is more limited by the boat setting than you would be in comparable type of franchises set on land (e.g. Sharpe, Flashman, etc.). Still, I'm quite curious and I'll probably put one of the source novels on my wish list. I do like these escapist historical capers from time to time, particularly when they are based on meticulous research and that seems to be the case with the novels as far as I can tell.

Anyways, back to the movie, I thought it was an excellent low-key historical film that had a lot of respect for its setting. It's more Rob Roy than Braveheart, despite of the fact that there are some genuinely thrilling action set pieces in this. The actors are all great, the narrative never tiers and I feel like I actually got a pretty good idea of ho life in the Royal Navy was like in those days. Great success and I'd warmly recommend people watching or revisiting this.

You know Nomadland is going to win all the awards, but I myself would prefer Promising Young Woman to win (at least between the two of them, haven't seen a lot of the others).

Is it the sea shanties that all the rage right now the cause for your change of heart? :P

I've re-watched it myself a couple of months ago, and have had the same change of opinion as you. Originally, I saw it in theatres, and thought well this ain't no Gladiator. But it doesn't need to be, and I agree with you on what makes this movie solid. It's possible that experiencing other great stories in a similar setting (Black Sails) made me more open-minded towards this type hyper-realistic, slow plodding with short moments of intense action historical high seas flicks. Now I have a much harder time enjoying the silliness of Pirates of the Caribbean.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I've yet to see Nomadland, but I hear it's very good. Apparently. from what I've heard, almost everyone in the film isn't actually an actor, and they're just trying to depict their real lives.

PYW is a very good movie, but I don't think it will win anything. I'm actually surprised it's nominated for Best Picture, but it's a weird year in film in general. I am happy to say though that a step-brother and a cousin who work on sets and were getting a ton of work before the Pandemic started are finally seeing action again. And they both agree that Tom Cruise was right to have his freak out, given how much is on the line and how hard it is to do even basic things.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The problem with Master and Commander is that I think it was being sold as ‘Gladiator on the Sea’ and it isn’t that at all. The time frame and subject matter don’t make it an easy sell either. 

I had to look up the dates to see, and my thought was right. Could the film have been hurt in part because the South Park episode mocking him, about sailing, came out a year earlier? The release date of the SP episode was in April, 2002, and the movie came out in November, 2003. I know a lot of people my age who still joke around about him being an idiot fightn' around the world.

Archived