US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Looking up the Minnesota statute, https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205 , the max sentence for second degree manslaughter is 10 years. Assuming this is her first offense, if she's found guilty I'd guess a sentence of 5 years at most. She gets out on community supervision after 3.5 years (in Minnesota by default this happens after serving 2/3rds of your sentence). And that's at most, could be a 2 year sentence and out after 16 months.

First degree manslaughter maxes out at 15 years, but the difference is that first degree requires an intentionality that would seem almost impossible to prove (just a like a murder charge would be impossible to improve), whereas second degree is:

Based on the facts currently known, that seems like the appropriate charge.

They could also add reckless discharge on there I think. I doubt they will, but that is applicable

Romney, Sinema teaming up on proposal to raise minimum wage

Romney declined to provide details on the proposal, though he suggested that he and Sinema had largely reached an agreement. 

“We’re negotiating a minimum wage proposal which we would ultimately take to our group of 20 and see how they react to it and then go from there,” Romney said, referring to a bipartisan group 20 centrist-minded senators.

Romney also wouldn’t disclose the phase-in timeline or what the minimum wage would be raised to. 

12 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I have to wonder how much he’d syphon off Biden’s support in 2024.

this assumes, of course. that Biden will actually run for reelection - something I, at least, find dubious in the extreme.

on the other hand, I doubt very much Trump will be a viable 2024 candidate for POTUS, either, given his health and assorted legal woes..  Tucker Carlson, now...

Democrats to introduce legislation to expand Supreme Court
The measure would increase the court's size to 13.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/14/democrats-supreme-court-481640

House and Senate Democrats will introduce legislation Thursday to expand the number of Supreme Court justices to 13 from nine, drawing more attention to the debate surrounding court reform.

The bill, led by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), is the first legislation in recent years designed to add seats to the high court, and its introduction comes as progressive organizations are pushing for court expansion, after watching Senate Republicans fill three Supreme Court vacancies in four years under President Donald Trump.

Brian Fallon, executive director of the liberal group Demand Justice, said the bill represents a “new era where Democrats finally stop conceding the Supreme Court to Republicans." He added that the task for progressives now “is to build a grassroots movement that puts pressure on every Democrat in Congress to support this legislation because it is the only way to restore balance to the Court and protect our democracy.”

So is this Pelosi news with respect to her husband buying Microsoft share options using her inside knowledge a real thing?  I can only find references to it on right-wing media, and I really would prefer not to click on them.  (it was brought up in a US politics thread on another message board).  

There is no higher endorsement for some of us than than the following.

“I must say that what Biden has done so far is a rather pleasant surprise to me,” said the progressive icon and MIT linguist Noam Chomsky in a recent interview.

endquote

I'm skeptical that Joe will make it an entire term without Noam finding some bone to pick with him, especially on foreign policy, no President has managed to escape Chomsky criticism in that arena yet.

Nevertheless for Biden to have been in the job these early months and to earn praise, from perhaps the fiercest critic in modern politics, is an accomplishment of the highest order to many of us.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

There is no higher endorsement for some of us than than the following...Nevertheless for Biden to have been in the job these early months and to earn praise, from perhaps the fiercest critic in modern politics, is an accomplishment of the highest order to many of us.

I am happy to see Biden actually, you know, DOING THE JOB of governing and being President, and I am a life-long Republican.

Trump basically failed to attend meetings, failed to listen to briefings, failed to engage with Congress - if he was an employee with such a performance record in just about any situation, his failure to execute would have meant he was fired.  He apparently sat on his a$$ and watched television most of the day, every day.

So after four years of having the apparatus of government either sitting and rotting away from lack of attention, or actively being undermined and hollowed out, it is reassuring to see some basic actions of maintenance and hygiene for the machinery of government.

The For God & Country Patriot Roundup is an upcoming Republican event in Texas which swears it's completely unrelated to QAnon. Can you spot all the QAnon references in the trailer for the event? (An eagle-eyed viewer of the show already informed me that I missed one. Can you spot it?)

11 hours ago, ants said:

So is this Pelosi news with respect to her husband buying Microsoft share options using her inside knowledge a real thing?  I can only find references to it on right-wing media, and I really would prefer not to click on them.  (it was brought up in a US politics thread on another message board).  

There have been strong recommendations out to buy Microsoft from major firms for months and months. I bought Microsoft for the first time ever. And they got hit hard by Solar Winds, so what insider information could her husband have had? 

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There have been strong recommendations out to buy Microsoft from major firms for months and months. I bought Microsoft for the first time ever. And they got hit hard by Solar Winds, so what insider information could her husband have had? 

Yeah, I mean, I bought a bunch of MSFT stock this past year as well. It's a really strong buy right now, no insider info needed.

https://www.instagram.com/washingtonpost/

When Jeffrey Sabol returned to his Colorado home after allegedly storming the U.S. Capitol and assaulting two police officers on Jan. 6, he fried his electronic devices in the microwave, destroyed any materials he thought could be “misconstrued as anti-government,” and stashed his guns at a friend’s house, prosecutors said.⁠

Then he traveled to Boston with plans to hop a flight to Switzerland in a plot to avoid extradition, according to court documents.⁠

Thanks to that plan, the 51-year-old geophysicist will stay in custody until he goes to trial on the eight misdemeanor and felony offenses he faces over his alleged role in the insurrection.⁠

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

"count me in on the idea that the science is real"

Give him the Mufasa treatment instead.

Lindsy Graham: “After careful consideration, I’ve decided that Noah’s flood warning isn’t bullshit after all, and we should all build arks, and... oops too late.”

19 hours ago, ants said:

Thought most right wing trolls were or are pre-occupied with labeling CNN a propaganda network thanks to a scoop by O'Keefe.

No, they don't accept that fact that O'Keefe is a criminal troll wtih a history of fabricating news, or that their scoop target was not working on the editorial team of CNN. Usually this is a time for @Trishkin and his canary mission to find out what's going on in the depths of right wing reddit.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

They were meant to have won a big government contract.  How big it is in the context of their size, who knows.  As I'm not clicking on right-wing links.  

1 hour ago, ants said:

They were meant to have won a big government contract.  How big it is in the context of their size, who knows.  As I'm not clicking on right-wing links.  

There’s the contract for the virtual reality helmets, which could be worth $22 B over 10 years, but that didn’t move the market when it was announced. It sounds big, but Microsoft’s revenues last year were $143 B, so $2.2 B a year, while big dollars to you and me, isn’t even 2% of annual sales.

Archived