US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

6 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That and 300 other people charged of some pretty serious offenses. So much for “no one is going to face a trial for this.”

Also, apparently the reason they didn’t get shot (as they all should have, IMO) is because the police force wasn’t sufficient, and the police on the ground made the determination that shooting generally would make the armed crazies start firing and they would be overwhelmed immediately. Only Ashli Babbitt was apparently a true danger to the lives of congresspeople, as if she breached that door, the mob would have been able to take more lives (other than the officer who was already killed), so she did get shot. 

Interesting, I have been wondering why the insurrectionists weren’t engaged more forcefully.

On right wing internet there have been many cries of hypocrisy because the country is not outraged by the police shooting unarmed Ashli Babbit but has been outraged all year over the police shootings up unarmed poc. As if unarmed black men killed by the police were, oh, I don’t know storming the fucking United States Capitol! Jesus, some folks are truly lost causes.

I do not envy the officer that shot her, but I believe that he did the right thing. She comes through, they are all coming through. And I agree that all of them are so god damn lucky that only one of them was shot. As I watched it all unfold while on paternity leave I really could not believe that they weren’t being shot. 

The GOP-Big Business Divorce Goes Deeper Than You Think
It’s not just about voting rights; it’s that businesses and the Republican Party increasingly care about incompatible things, says Jeffrey Sonnenfeld.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/15/republican-party-big-business-georgia-voting-rights-conservative-481978

The recent spat between leading Republicans and major corporations like Delta, Coca-Cola and Major League Baseball criticizing Georgia’s restrictive new voting law isn’t just about voting rights; it’s the sign of a deeper breakup that has been years in the making. For anyone confused about how Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell could admonish big companies to “stay out of politics,” after building a career on corporate donations and business-friendly policies, this deeper breakup tells the story.

Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, a legendary business professor and associate dean at the Yale School of Management, has watched this split grow in recent years, and has heard it from CEOs he knows and works with. What the GOP cares about and what major businesses care about are, increasingly incompatible, he says.

“The political desire to use wedge issues to divide—which used to be fringe in the GOP—has become mainstream,” Sonnenfeld says. “That is 100 percent at variance with what the business community wants. And that is a million times more important to them than how many dollars of taxes are paid here or there.”

Over the weekend, Sonnenfeld hastily organized a Zoom conference with roughly 100 major corporate executives to talk through the voter restrictions being considered by state legislatures throughout the country, and about the way top Republicans like McConnell and Ted Cruz are responding with attacks on businesses that speak up in opposition.

Most of the CEOs on the call were Republicans; Sonnenfeld himself has been an informal adviser to Republican and Democratic presidents, but he has a longstanding relationship with McConnell, and spoke at the senator’s wedding to Elaine Chao. The CEOs “ranged from amused to outraged” in their reaction to the GOP attacks on businesses, says Sonnenfeld. “Their comments ranged from talk about ‘taxation without representation’ to the paradox of ‘cancel culture’: It’s OK if they speak out, but only as long as they stay on script?”

As the GOP tries to position itself as the home of “working-class values,” capturing loyalty with a steady campaign against the perceived excesses of progressive culture, it’s running afoul of a business community that can’t simply silo off “culture war” topics. In the eyes of major corporations, issues like voting rights, immigration and transgender-inclusive restrooms have economic impact, too. The millions of people alienated by those fights aren’t just their future customers, many of whom expect to support brands they believe in, they’re the companies’ employees.

“The bad news for Republicans is that they seem to have a 1920s view of who Big Business’ workforce is,” says Sonnenfeld. “That workforce is, at a minimum, highly diverse—and they get along. Trying to stir that up is misguided.”

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Thought most right wing trolls were or are pre-occupied with labeling CNN a propaganda network thanks to a scoop by O'Keefe.

No, they don't accept that fact that O'Keefe is a criminal troll wtih a history of fabricating news, or that their scoop target was not working on the editorial team of CNN. Usually this is a time for @Trishkin and his canary mission to find out what's going on in the depths of right wing reddit.

I just looked. A lot of talk about big tech/media censorship re: O’Keefe. No talk whatsoever about Pelosi. And if those crazies aren’t talking about a supposed Pelosi scandal then you can be pretty sure there’s nothing there.

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

The GOP-Big Business Divorce Goes Deeper Than You Think
It’s not just about voting rights; it’s that businesses and the Republican Party increasingly care about incompatible things, says Jeffrey Sonnenfeld.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/15/republican-party-big-business-georgia-voting-rights-conservative-481978

I haven’t seen this discussed on CNBC yet, I wonder if they’ll pick it up. After the election I mentioned they talked about Sonnenfield’s business round table meetings on the election, Georgia and Trump’s phone calls, and the fact many said they were going to halt donations. He does the calls regularly, at least monthly, and does calls after major events. 

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56770200

Mass shooting in Indianapolis, at least 8 dead.

And knowing our culture it will be forgotten in a week, like it didn't even happen.

Murika!!!

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

"Maxine Waters tells Jim Jordan to 'shut your mouth' during heated exchange with Fauci" https://news.yahoo.com/maxine-waters-tells-jim-jordan-200039907.html

Maxine Waters to Jim Jordan-

Shut yo Damn Mouth!!

Lovin it:D

I also love this:

Fauci shot back that Jordan was "making this a personal thing" when "it isn't," and at one point told the congressman, "You're ranting again."

Does even a day go by in this country with a cop or cops shooting and killing an unarmed black person?

This one from Knoxville, earlier this week, really takes the cake though.  It disappeared from the news covereage almost immediately. Cynically I ascribed it to the media thinking only killing at a school wasn't newsworthy.  But no, it was yet another cop shooting an unarmed young black man.  Plus the cop also shot himself.  Where in the world are the US cop forces finding these homicidal clowns?

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Does even a day go by in this country with a cop or cops shooting and killing an unarmed black person?

This one from Knoxville, earlier this week, really takes the cake though.  It disappeared from the news covereage almost immediately. Cynically I ascribed it to the media thinking only killing at a school wasn't newsworthy.  But no, it was yet another cop shooting an unarmed young black man.  Plus the cop also shot himself.  Where in the world are the US cop forces finding these homicidal clowns?

I was also reading about the shooting of Adam Toldeo this morning: (ETA: For clarity, shooting was not today, but bodycam footage was finally released)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56768217.

Its yet more evidence of a broken system but there were a couple of things that really made me feel sick reading this article

The attorney added it was "amazing and disheartening" that nobody had asked about Mr Stillman's well-being after the incident.

Mr Stillman is a 34-year-old military veteran who joined the force in 2015. He has had four use of force reports and three complaints filed against him, according to the Invisible Institute, which publishes data about police misconduct in Chicago.

The Chicago-Sun Times reports that the Chicago Police Department has been on alert for potential retaliation against officers because the area where Adam Toledo was shot is a stronghold of the Latin Kings street gang.

John Catanzara, president of the Chicago Police Union, alleged live on CNN that Toledo was a Latin Kings member and his shooting was "100% justified" and "heroic".

So a 13 year old boy is dead yet its amazing and disheartening we aren't concerned about the wellbeing of the police officer who shot him. And the killing was not only justified but heroic.

51 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So a 13 year old boy is dead yet its amazing and disheartening we aren't concerned about the wellbeing of the police officer who shot him. And the killing was not only justified but heroic.

This kind of rhetoric is extremely common from police unions. They're largely a disgrace.

Two of the biggest Republican trolls in the House have formed an "Anglo-Saxon" caucus? What the suffering fuck? Are they not even bothering to hide the Nazism?

Is this the troll of all trolls?

Scandal-plagued Florida GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz announced he was joining Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s new “America First Caucus” group on Friday, just hours after a draft memo leaked that outlined the organization’s barely veiled racism. 

The seven-page memo states the group has been formed “to follow in President Trump’s footsteps, and potentially step on some toes and sacrifice sacred cows for the good of the American nation.”

“America is a nation with a border, and a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions,” the memo reads. “History has shown that societal trust and political unity are threatened when foreign citizens are imported en-masse into a country, particularly without institutional support for assimilation and an expansive welfare state to bail them out should they fail to contribute positively to the country.”

The memo goes on to decry “post-1965 immigrants” for hurting wages and diluting the economy. That’s a direct reference to the year when the U.S. abolished a policy of giving Western Europeans great preferential treatment in immigration while mostly barring immigrants from Africa, Asia and even Southern and Eastern Europe.

If that’s not overt enough, the memo also states the caucus “will work towards an infrastructure that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gpqj/marjorie-taylor-greene-matt-gaetz-launch-anglo-saxon-america-first-caucus

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Two of the biggest Republican trolls in the House have formed an "Anglo-Saxon" caucus? What the suffering fuck? Are they not even bothering to hide the Nazism?

I haven’t read the rest yet.  Is this a hoax? Please tell me this is a hoax. 

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’ve said it before. Police here are cowards.

Putting their own lives above the citizens they are supposed to protect. 

The meaning of the Anglo-Saxon part is pretty clear, but WTF is the part about architecture? I’m really hard pressed to think of any architectural examples that would be threatening to the worldview of, well anyone really, but I guess MTG in this case. And on top of that, I really haven’t borne witness to anything even all that different in recent years? Let alone somehow threatening to society. I guess I don’t exactly follow the world of architecture (other than I love the British show Grand Designs) so maybe there are trends unpalatable to alt-right types that I’m unaware of. Anyone have any idea what the hell that is about?

11 minutes ago, S John said:

The meaning of the Anglo-Saxon part is pretty clear, but WTF is the part about architecture? I’m really hard pressed to think of any architectural examples that would be threatening to the worldview of, well anyone really, but I guess MTG in this case. And on top of that, I really haven’t borne witness to anything even all that different in recent years? Let alone somehow threatening to society. I guess I don’t exactly follow the world of architecture (other than I love the British show Grand Designs) so maybe there are trends unpalatable to alt-right types that I’m unaware of. Anyone have any idea what the hell that is about?

In my drunken opinion? 

Probably something to do with Phallic buildings and them being too small. 

8 minutes ago, S John said:

Trump produced an executive order last December mandating classical architecture for federal buildings. It probably has something to do with that. Whatever the Great Leader wants, the Great Leader should have.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805256707/just-plain-ugly-proposed-executive-order-takes-aim-at-modern-architecture

11 minutes ago, S John said:

In my experience with weird alt-right online Nazis there's this really weird obsession with Greco-Roman architecture. Or rather the shallow as fuck common understanding of what Greco-Roman architecture is.

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Trump produced an executive order last December mandating classical architecture for federal buildings. It probably has something to do with that. Whatever the Great Leader wants, the Great Leader should have.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805256707/just-plain-ugly-proposed-executive-order-takes-aim-at-modern-architecture

Thanks, that had escaped my notice. 

Also funny, and so typically Trump, that the guy who lives his life between skyscrapers and mar a lago is mandating classical architecture?  

Archived