Sign in to follow this  
Veltigar

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Shield lands on top

New thread for me to gush about The Shield ;) 

Watched Gillo Pontecorvo's Battle of Algiers (La bataille d'Alger) for the first time. Amazing, remarkable film. Parts of it were so convincing as actual newsreel footage, and the whole thing has a cinema verité style that's tremendously effective. How Pontecorvo pulled it off -- particularly the huge scenes of protests and riots  -- is beyond me. It's a very influential film, in many ways -- allegedly embraced by militant resistance groups such as the IRA and the PLO as a guide to guerrilla warfare, screened by the Pentagon in 2004 to spark discussions of the urban warfare situation they were mired in, and definitely an influence on war movies that came after.

I've gotten up to the end of season 4 of my rewatch of The Shield.  Haven't been able to bring myself to rewatching season 5 yet though.  100% because of @Mexal's spoiler.  Really like the upgrade to high def though.

Finished rewatching The Last Kingdom as my workout show the past couple of weeks, and have started rewatching Turn for that now.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Do it!!!!

Reveal hidden contents

Lemmmmmmmmmmm

:crying: I'm still not over that one 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ran said:

Watched Gillo Pontecorvo's Battle of Algiers (La bataille d'Alger) for the first time. Amazing, remarkable film. Parts of it were so convincing as actual newsreel footage, and the whole thing has a cinema verité style that's tremendously effective. How Pontecorvo pulled it off -- particularly the huge scenes of protests and riots  -- is beyond me. It's a very influential film, in many ways -- allegedly embraced by militant resistance groups such as the IRA and the PLO as a guide to guerrilla warfare, screened by the Pentagon in 2004 to spark discussions of the urban warfare situation they were mired in, and definitely an influence on war movies that came after.

First bolded: I've rewatched this regularly over the years, so, obviously, :agree:

Second bolded: did it really take the Pentagon until 2004 to notice this film, or what, one wonders.  The answers may be Out There on the innernezes -- but I have a second vaccination appointment to get to! This film has always been in the filmographies and syllabi since its release in 1966, and it was watched over and over back then by all the racism and anti-war resistance groups, so the FBI at least, with all its infiltrators, certainly had it flagged.

Edited by Zorral

I'm sure it has been shown before at academies and war colleges and so on, but the 2004 screening was noted because of the particularly relevant context at the time.

18 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Seven Pounds rewatch. Tears 

I remember watching this as a young teen with friends. I honestly don't remember anything about the film other than we almost certainly ruined it for anyone sat nearby who wanted a serious watch, which we did not expect. Mild levels of guilt.

I just watched Godzilla vs Kong, which was probably the dumbest film I've ever seen, but definitely entertaining. I can't believe I paid £16 to watch a film on my own tv, especially one so obviously meant to be seen in a big screen, but I hope it encourages to make more dumb, fun films. 

I will say, maybe the line could be a bit closer to what Skull Island achieved in terms of not having a really dull human plot, but at least the two child actors and Brian Tyree Henry were more watchable than Aaron A Aaronsen from the first Godzilla film. Speaking of which, it's weird that Godzilla got top billing when it was very much a Kong film.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I've gotten up to the end of season 4 of my rewatch of The Shield.  Haven't been able to bring myself to rewatching season 5 yet though.  100% because of @Mexal's spoiler.  Really like the upgrade to high def though.

Killed me! 

On another note, I didn’t hate Snyder’s Justice League. Pleasantly surprised :dunno:

Edited by Mexal

11 hours ago, Leap said:

remember watching this as a young teen with friends. I honestly don't remember anything about the film other than we almost certainly ruined it for anyone sat nearby who wanted a serious watch, which we did not expect. Mild levels of guilt.

Same 

Apart from F4 and that weird show in Vegas, has Chiklis done anything since the shield? 

Continuing that John Carpenter discussion I started watching They Live as it was one I don’t think I I’d ever properly seen. 

Like a lot of Carpenter stuff it really does walk a fine line between campy fun and utter shit.. but in this case really does fall over into B movie schlock rubbish. 

What was interesting however is just how much the conspiracy theories in the movie seem like everyday discussion these days.. almost like half of it is accepted as fact!

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Apart from F4 and that weird show in Vegas, has Chiklis done anything since the shield? 

He was Nathaniel Barnes on Gotham.

15 hours ago, Leap said:

Speaking of which, it's weird that Godzilla got top billing when it was very much a Kong film.

Obviously Godzilla must have a better agent.

I suppose it is possible that there is something in the contract the film-makers signed when getting the license to use Godzilla that he would have top-billing in any film they made.

Working through Best Picture nominees, I watched Mank last night on Netflix. Talk about Oscar bait. If you like throwback movies or movies about throwback movies, you'll love it. Personally I thought the acting was top notch. Seyfried disappeared so much into her character that I literally didn't even know it was her until the credits rolled. This movie shouldn't win any of the major awards, but I understand the nominations. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Continuing that John Carpenter discussion I started watching They Live as it was one I don’t think I I’d ever properly seen. 

Like a lot of Carpenter stuff it really does walk a fine line between campy fun and utter shit.. but in this case really does fall over into B movie schlock rubbish. 

What was interesting however is just how much the conspiracy theories in the movie seem like everyday discussion these days.. almost like half of it is accepted as fact!

They Live is a great movie. You shut your fucking mouth! 

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

We wouldn't have Obama's famous Hope painting without this amazing scene. B)