Final: England v Italy

So impressed with the ability of English players to escape a press, control the ball and pass through the lines. I feel like I’ve never seen England play like that down the years, and I’m realising how different this England side is compared to those I’ve grown up with. No matter what happens I’m deeply impressed 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

So impressed with the ability of English players to escape a press, control the ball and pass through the lines. I feel like I’ve never seen England play like that down the years, and I’m realising how different this England side is compared to those I’ve grown up with. No matter what happens I’m deeply impressed 

True. England in the past always felt like they had several outstanding players doing a lot of work to make up for a lack of team cohesion. This time (to a lesser extent 2018, which feels like the foundations of this) they have a very strong cohesive sense of teamwork built around outstanding defenders and attackers. As one of the commentators said, England have more quality left on the bench then many other teams' entire line-ups, and certainly more than in any other England team for decades.

Chiesa the most likely to do something for Italy.

Southgate won't be happy about the pattern of play. They probably need a second goal but England can't string together any meaningful possession.

ETA. Mount has been invisible. Might be better to bring Grealish on if Southgate wants to keep the same formation or bring Henderson on and go 3-5-2.

Archived