MCU Hullabaloo

JGP

On 8/19/2021 at 8:26 AM, The BlackBear said:

Also in the comics Thanos is a deviant, which by their rules here would allow the Eternals to fight him, so they've obviously changed that.

Thanos wasn't a Deviant in the comics. He's an Eternal. Unless there was some retcon I'm not aware of. His father was Mentor of the Eternals who left Earth. His brother is Starfox (cringey of the cringey power-wise in today's day and age, and rightly so...).

There is some retcon you’re not aware of. :P In fact, Thanos is a deviant Eternal these days per the most recent Eternals series (Kieron Gillen I believe).

I think it’s still a bit of a weird reason for non intervention. You’re an eye blasting super strong guy (can smash an IKEA table with one blow) and you don’t fight just because of the rules? It’d be better if they were incapacitated somehow.

1 hour ago, john said:

In fact, Thanos is a deviant Eternal these days per the most recent Eternals series (Kieron Gillen I believe).

I went to look this up, and I gotta say, given that series started this year, the fact that some commentators are trying to sell to their public that they know comics and can sort out the hidden lore of more obscure properties like the Eternals for film-only fans, but then go 'Marvel changed the Thanos backstory for the films, in the comics he's an Eternal' when that change happened three years after Infinity War was released, let alone started filming, is very funny to me.

Also: don't like that change no sir. The Skrulls being a kind of Deviant I'm also kind of mixed on. I don't like massive sprawling universes being made to feel small by unnecessary ties between divergent parts of it.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:16 PM, Rhom said:

So that was a later ret-con I'm guessing?  Otherwise, the name Children of the Atom really loses its weight...

I am not sure when that happened.  I read last night that The Celestials were working on what became the X-gene seven million years ago...per the time of the entry. 

Well, the X-gene was dormant until activated by radiation from atomic tests, wasn't it?  I don't see how that is changed, except they'll probably make the gamma radiation from the Infinity Stones being used (three times) on Earth as the trigger.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

It seems clear just from looking at him that movie Thanos is neither an Eternal nor a deviant. 

How so? 

15 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Well, the X-gene was dormant until activated by radiation from atomic tests, wasn't it?  I don't see how that is changed, except they'll probably make the gamma radiation from the Infinity Stones being used (three times) on Earth as the trigger.

How so? 

Because he's a big purple raisin looking dude. He doesn't look anything like the eternals or the deviants as seen in those trailers. 

Plus we know he's basically just a guy from a planet that collapsed due to a shortage of resources. Not because of deviant attacks or "the emergence" 

My understanding is the Deviants are not a consistent look, they're basically mutated Eternals.  So they can look like anything.

Also, Thanos doesn't look like his fellow Titans.  Clearly something is going on with him making him different.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Because he's a big purple raisin looking dude. He doesn't look anything like the eternals or the deviants as seen in those trailers. 

Plus we know he's basically just a guy from a planet that collapsed due to a shortage of resources. Not because of deviant attacks or "the emergence" 

I was thinking if they want to seed the ground for the X-men, they could say the Eternals experimented by inserting the X-gene into the human population, but some of the Eternals were infected by something that inserted the X-gene into them too, and that created the Deviants.

7 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

My understanding is the Deviants are not a consistent look, they're basically mutated Eternals.  So they can look like anything.

Also, Thanos doesn't look like his fellow Titans.  Clearly something is going on with him making him different.

I was thinking if they want to seed the ground for the X-men, they could say the Eternals experimented by inserting the X-gene into the human population, but some of the Eternals were infected by something that inserted the X-gene into them too, and that created the Deviants.

Do we actually see any other titans? Maybe in Infinity War when he shows strange his non-destroyed world? I don't remember any.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Do we actually see any other titans? Maybe in Infinity War when he shows strange his non-destroyed world? I don't remember any.

Yes, but they're too far away in the background to see.  The concept art that came out made most of his family look fairly human.  Some are like him, different, and different from each other.  He's the only purple one for instance.

I just watched a video that says Thanos technically is a half-Eternal, half-Deviant hybrid, in the comics.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yes, but they're too far away in the background to see.  The concept art that came out made most of his family look fairly human.  Some are like him, different, and different from each other.  He's the only purple one for instance.

I just watched a video that says Thanos technically is a half-Eternal, half-Deviant hybrid, in the comics.

He has the DNA of both and then augmented that by absorbing a ridiculous amount of cosmic energy, which I want to say was revealed during Starlin's tenure but it was so long ago I can't quite recall and net results are seriously heavy wading on the subject.

Saw the leaked trailer and I loved it.

I'm really not the biggest fan of Tom Hollands take on Spider Man. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine actor and fits the role very well, but in all the of his films, he really seems to be living in Tony Stark's shadow and I hope that finally he can start to become his own person. I was sort of hoping that would start with Far From Home, but that entire film was filled with "remember how awesome Tony was" moments, to the point where they started to take me out of the movie after a while.

Archived