Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

• 3 months later...

It was so stupid they gave him medical exemption in the first place. Apparently they didn't even realise the fuss it would cause. As I don't like Djokovic and especially his anti-vaccine stance, they could really save him the trip and embarrassement. 

Having said that, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they let him in eventually, after a hearing on Monday. 

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Wow.

Nadal who - stands to gain a potential record breaking Grand Slam title if he wins the AO - supports Djokovic’s disqualification from said tournament?

How courageous.

How does that impact on the validity of his statement? 

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Wow.

Nadal who - stands to gain a potential record breaking Grand Slam title if he wins the AO - supports his main rival (and tournament favourite)’s disqualification from said tournament?

How courageous.

Sucks to be an anti-vax wacko, right? Nadal is completely in the right, just like he was earlier to point out tennis players aren't scientists and they should listen to the experts on the subject.

So Novak claims a medical exemption due to an prior infection and tested positive via a PCR on the 16th December.  on the 17th he went to kids Tennis event and is in several photos unmasked and very close.

My Questions

1.  Why did he take a PCR if he did not suspect he was infected?  (I'm assuming if he thought he as infectious he would not be mixing with lots of people and potentially infecting them, he might not of had the results)

2.  Did he take the test at a test centre or in private?  if in private did someone else take the test for him so he could get a positive result and a possible medical exception?  the timing of the infection is very convenient giving the Australian open.  although Covid was/is taking off.

53 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

So Novak claims a medical exemption due to an prior infection and tested positive via a PCR on the 16th December.  on the 17th he went to kids Tennis event and is in several photos unmasked and very close.

My Questions

1.  Why did he take a PCR if he did not suspect he was infected?  (I'm assuming if he thought he as infectious he would not be mixing with lots of people and potentially infecting them, he might not of had the results)

2.  Did he take the test at a test centre or in private?  if in private did someone else take the test for him so he could get a positive result and a possible medical exception?  the timing of the infection is very convenient giving the Australian open.  although Covid was/is taking off.

Private laboratories are forbidden to do covid PCR tests in Serbia. All tests are done by one government run laboratory and samples can be collected only at government approved sites. Throughout the pandemic he was seen going out to various events, restaurants. I don’t approve of such behavior but it is nothing new for Djokovic. It’s quite conceivable he could have gotten infected in December especially as this is the time when omicron reached Serbia and almost no restrictions are in place. Also, the date of sampling is 16th December and it takes 24-48h to receive results. Those events were the next day so it is quite possible he wasn’t aware he was positive. Afterwards, he wasn’t seen in public for a week which is the minimum quarantine time in Serbia after testing positive. I read he was at a crowded basketball game a few days before, so that might be the reason he went to do the test just in case. I doubt he had symptoms when he did it. He had covid once before and had a very mild/asymptomatic disease.  Also, unfortunately, in Serbia the attitude regarding covid is much more relaxed. You are not required to quarantine while waiting on results, especially if you have no symptoms. 

Why would Australia allow anyone unvaccinated into the country, to begin with, no matter why? This is totally stupid. Being rich and famous shouldn't be a privilege and shouldn't give special right or exemption in such a situation.

As for Djoko, if he had any brain and actually wanted that record, he could've done the smart thing and got vaxxed months ago, he would then be free to win. I had no negative opinion of him before that mess and quite liked him, but he's acting like an entitled asshole; he deserves to be shut off from major tournaments this year until he becomes sensible once again.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:38 AM, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I think you underestimate the levels of fandom for Djokovic in Serbia. Obviously, I can't prove it so I'm not saying that was the case, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't even take the test and was given a result he needed, no matter the way he got tested (on paper).

Whichever way this ends up, it's a proper embarrassment for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I think you underestimate the levels of fandom for Djokovic in Serbia. Obviously, I can't prove it so I'm not saying that was the case, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't even take the test and was given a result he needed, no matter the way he got tested (on paper).

Whichever way this ends up, it's a proper embarrassment for everyone involved.

well yes,   He really should not have been told that a prior infection is a medical exemption for entry if its not.  That part at least is on Australia.

What he may or may not have done after receiving this knowledge is truly open to speculation.  He could have just come early and spent time in a quarantine hotel.  - It sucks for your preparation, but if you know thats what you need to do you plan for it.  And yes even better he could have had the vaccines.

They now have to re cancel it on different grounds, right? It’s crazy, he already has a reputation for being booed, how is it going to be if he plays? Although if there’s any player equipped to ignore a hostile crowd it’s him.

21 minutes ago, john said:

They now have to re cancel it on different grounds, right? It’s crazy, he already has a reputation for being booed, how is it going to be if he plays? Although if there’s any player equipped to ignore a hostile crowd it’s him.

He said the crowd support at the US Open final was quite unsettling - they were cheering for him, rather than the usual booing. Seems he performs better with the boos.

Archived