Covid-19 #39: Shooting the Messenger

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sorry, you’re wrong. The US has been trying to destroy Canada’s managed system for decades now. The idea that we have a quota system so that farmers don’t starve to death is just a flashpoint for them.

Our farmers don't starve to death, in fact they are among the richest demographic in the country. We don't got no "managed system". If you can't farm a thing profitably without protectionism and subsidies then you should be farming something else.

21 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Our farmers don't starve to death, in fact they are among the richest demographic in the country. We don't got no "managed system". If you can't farm a thing profitably without protectionism and subsidies then you should be farming something else.

Eat much American beef do ya?

You guys have the advantage of relative isolation and a climate and geography that's insanely conducive to agriculture. I imagine there's not much call for dairy or meat products that have been on the sea for a month.

Yeah, and Alberta's 1st dose vaccination rate should hit 85% (12+) by the end of the week. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Eat much American beef do ya?

You guys have the advantage of relative isolation and a climate and geography that's insanely conducive to agriculture. I imagine there's not much call for dairy or meat products that have been on the sea for a month.

Yeah, and Alberta's 1st dose vaccination rate should hit 85% (12+) by the end of the week. 

If there was not much call for meat or dairy that's been out at sea for a month we'd be the poorest country in the world, because that's how we sell 90% of the dairy we produce and 60% of the meat, and most of our fruit too. We do have productive land, and a decent climate, it's true but it is the efficiency of production that we've had to develop from not having subsidies that makes our food internationally competitive.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If there was not much call for meat or dairy that's been out at sea for a month we'd be the poorest country in the world, because that's how we sell 90% of the dairy we produce and 60% of the meat, and most of our fruit too. We do have productive land, and a decent climate, it's true but it is the efficiency of production that we've had to develop from not having subsidies that makes our food internationally competitive.

This is not a conversation for the Covid thread, but I have directly asked you this question before and you have pointedly ignored it. How much cheese and dairy does New Zealand import? Canada is now at the point where we are forced to import almost 20%. The US imports 1%. The US state of Wisconsin has more cattle than the entire country of Canada, and it’s not even number 1 in the US, at a time when Americans don’t even want to drink milk. Instead the US wants to force other countries to buy food their country doesn’t want, and the politicians wail about cruelty to their farmers. My opinion of Wisconsin dairy farmers is they can go drown themselves in a vat of milk.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

"A decent climate"? It hits -40 celsius here and everything that isn't plowed is under 2 meters of snow. Not having the expense of making sure your livestock don't freeze or starve for 6 months of the year is a little more than "a decent climate". 

Maybe for the International thread, as this conversation is about at least three nations?

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

This is not a conversation for the Covid thread

In the meantime, here in the USA, the treasonously deranged covid, climate change, racisism deniers have brought us to this.

"Garland taps FBI in response to ‘disturbing spike’ in threats against educators
Recent school board meetings have been packed with protestors who denounce Covid-19 mask mandates, political interpretations of critical race theory and other highly-politicized issues."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/04/garland-fbi-educator-threats-515104

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Monday ordered federal law enforcement authorities to huddle with local leaders in the coming weeks to address what the nation’s top prosecutor called a recent “disturbing spike in harassment, intimidation, and threats of violence” against educators and school board members.

The Justice Department will also unveil a series of additional measures in the coming days to “address the rise in criminal conduct directed toward school personnel,” Garland wrote in a memorandum to federal prosecutors and FBI Director Christopher Wray. The department said they're expected to include a training program and a new federal task force stacked with representatives from the department's criminal, civil rights and national security divisions. ....

36 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

The long arm of Big Dairy

I see.

49 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So "fingers crosed" but the U.S. Daily New Cases (7 day average) graph is headed back down recently.

Just clinging to some slight optimism before cold weather sets in and we can really gauge where were at.

At this point, I'm beginning to feel like people are completely overreacting to COVID now.

Like we're going on two years now.

This whole "flattening the curve" thing is for the birds at this point. Or should I say the bats.

Just deal with the fact that it's here to stay just like influenza, pneumonia, tuberculosis and the common cold and move on. If it kills you or me, then it just kills you or me and I guess it was just our time to go. If it is as natural as they say it is, then there's nothing that can really be done at this point.

Instead of focusing on forcing people to get vaccinated and wear masks, maybe they need to be focusing on finding and studying the long-term effects of coronavirus.

20 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I see.

At this point, I'm beginning to feel like people are completely overreacting to COVID now.

Like we're going on two years now.

This whole "flattening the curve" thing is for the birds at this point. Or should I say the bats.

Just deal with the fact that it's here to stay just like influenza, pneumonia, tuberculosis and the common cold and move on. If it kills you or me, then it just kills you or me and I guess it was just our time to go. If it is as natural as they say it is, then there's nothing that can really be done at this point.

Instead of focusing on forcing people to get vaccinated and wear masks, maybe they need to be focusing on finding and studying the long-term effects of coronavirus.

Ok I'll bite.  There is plenty to do.  It's called getting a vaccine.  Just like for the flu you get (or should get) a flu vaccine.  Or a polio vaccine, or diphtheria, or measles, or pertussis, or mumps, or....  And tuberculosis...where would we be if people just said "aw hell, there's nothing to be done and people should just be permitted to drink all the unpasteurized milk they want (or that people want to sell them, whether or not they want it) and we'll make no public health interventions whatsoever"?  I know where we'd be, back in the days of consumption-chic (you should go read up on what living in a world with tuberculosis as a real and ever present threat was actually like).  No thank you.  So, you know, I'll take some of those basic, relatively minimal public health measures like wearing a mask please.  

That said, I do think there is a real balance between on-going covid public health measures and re-starting public life.  There is a huge mental health benefit to having society somewhat "open".  So, go get vaccinated, wear your mask, and have thoughtful interactions with other humans.

23 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Couldn't all three of those things be focused on?

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Couldn't all three of those things be focused on?

Plus a 4th focus: having the deranged who violently attack verbally and physically those, like teachers, pharmacists, nurses, testing stations be arrested and punished for threats to domestic safety.  By the way, attacks on all the above took place even here in the last few days, as well as others not mentioned.  Yes, please, keep the unvaccinated out of restaurants, theaters, music and comedy clubs, and above all, bars.  They prove over and over how prone to violence they are even without consuming alcohol.

26 deaths in Alberta yesterday. There has been an increase in Covid cases identified in children under 12, particularly in areas with low vaccination rates. Kids under 12 are still less likely to get severely ill, but they can still be carriers. Thanksgiving is next week. We'll see how many people abide by the indoor gathering rules.

36 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have to say, my second most jarring lifetime experience was getting arrested….and then getting at TB test, in case I had to join GenPop and couldn’t bail myself out (which, as I had an amount that I could have committed attempted murder and gotten bail - I had that cash). I mean, A TB TEST, usually one only hears about TB in Russian gulags.

My first most jarring lifetime experience was getting deported from Canada in Delta First Class. Thank god I was in first class; the armed guard actually watched me buckle in and waited on the jetway until the plane left. I asked for a bottle of champagne from the flight attendant, and got it.

:huh:

6 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have to say, my second most jarring lifetime experience was getting arrested….and then getting at TB test, in case I had to join GenPop and couldn’t bail myself out (which, as I had an amount that I could have committed attempted murder and gotten bail - I had that cash). I mean, A TB TEST, usually one only hears about TB in Russian gulags.

My first most jarring lifetime experience was getting deported from Canada in Delta First Class. Thank god I was in first class; the armed guard actually watched me buckle in and waited on the jetway until the plane left. I asked for a bottle of champagne from the flight attendant, and got it.

They uncle of a friend nearly died because of TB after getting covid-19. He had some kind of dormant version which emerged in hospital after his immune system was busy with covid. He might have avoided the ICU without it but his unknown risk factor caused a month long stay.

Archived