Covid-19 #39: Shooting the Messenger

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Could some sort of unintentional/negligent homicide charge or, at least, reckless endangerment be appropriate in this case?

Maybe?  Law enforcement is looking at it (but I fear that is obligation rather than expectation of finding something).  I'm sure they'd love to charge him.  But yes, as you suggest, its going to be very challenging.

And yes, Ireland is a very small country when it comes to these sort of things.   Nearly everyone will know about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/29/youtube-to-remove-misinformation-videos-about-all-vaccines

YouTube to remove misinformation videos about all vaccines

Streaming site cracks down on harmful content about all approved Covid jabs

YouTube is to remove videos that spread misinformation about all vaccines, as it steps up a crackdown on harmful content posted during the coronavirus pandemic.

From Wednesday, the video streaming site, which has already banned Covid jab falsehoods, will take down content that contains misinformation such as claiming any approved vaccine is dangerous, causes chronic health defects or does not reduce spread of disease.

The Article says Youtube has been taking action against COVID misinformation for at least a year. But I guess this active removal of videos is a new escalation.

I'm not a facebooker so I don't know what it's doing about these things. [Social]media companies need to be doing as much as possible to ensure their platforms are not sources or catalysts for spread of misinformation about COVID (or vaccines in general). Of course there are entire news networks that are happy to keep the narrative going for political purposes. And I wonder if Youtube is going to ban videos from these corporates? Fox News possibly being the least bad of the COVID misinformation networks now.

19 cases today, so the yo-yo continues.

Govt has announced a free taxi and shuttle service for people to get vaccinated, I think just in Auckland, but really it should be around the country, we want to get to 90% nationally, not just in Auckland. Still better in Auckland than nowhere at all.

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

Maybe?  Law enforcement is looking at it (but I fear that is obligation rather than expectation of finding something).  I'm sure they'd love to charge him.  But yes, as you suggest, its going to be very challenging.

And yes, Ireland is a very small country when it comes to these sort of things.   Nearly everyone will know about it.

He  basically accused the hospital staff of conspiring to kill their patient on that video. What are libel laws like in Ireland?

I doubt it would be easy to make a libel case stick. Anyway that would be a civil action to be taken by the hospital, which I think would be a waste of hospital / govt time and money. If a criminal charge can't be laid then I would say all in- and outpatient medical facilities across Ireland should look at trespassing (a restraining order in USA speak?) the guy, and any known associates, so that the minute he crosses their property boundary he can be tossed out or arrested. I would think they have reasonable grounds on the basis of patient safety.

9 hours ago, Padraig said:

Could the widow sue in a civil court?

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Could the widow sue in a civil court?

I would love that to happen, or some tangible consequence. However he made his own decision at the instigation of an idiot instead of medical advice, not sure what can really be done. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I would love that to happen, or some tangible consequence. However he made his own decision at the instigation of an idiot instead of medical advice, not sure what can really be done. 

Me either - I just want something other than vigilante action against him.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Athletes at winter Olympics/paralympics who are not vaccinated will have to serve 3 week quarantine period. Which I'm guessing will put them at an insurmountable disadvantage due to mental burden and lost training. Good, fuck them. 

Will every country have free access to vaccines by then?  That’s the only non eff you case. 

3 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Will every country have free access to vaccines by then?  That’s the only non eff you case. 

The vast majority will have as almost every winter sport nation is generally wealthy. There are exceptions for medical reasons but it's not clear if lack of access to a vaccine would meet that criteria. 

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Me either - I just want something other than vigilante action against him.

I imagine BigFatCoward and Anti-Targ have it right.   Best thing we can expect right now is that people wouldn't go to his restaurant again, which may seem trivial but it wouldn't be easy for him.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Athletes at winter Olympics/paralympics who are not vaccinated will have to serve 3 week quarantine period. Which I'm guessing will put them at an insurmountable disadvantage due to mental burden and lost training. Good, fuck them. 

I checked the provisions for vaccinated athletes. Apparently it's a closed-loop system with daily checks. 

As for the unvaccinated... China is being too kind by letting them in at all.

Continuing to plan for yet another long, dark, cold pandemic winter.  No gathering of friends at restaurants when it gets that damned cold (will not go inside -- too many liars in the world -- plus having to deal with students inside; they're already nutz about the protocols, they'll be worse by January). Waiting for the Moderna booster to be available.  Bought four new sweaters, lots more wool and cashmere sox, etc.  Getting together a good list of tv, films and books to keep me sane.  Also new workout clothes, as workouts also keep me sane.  Some new stuff for cooking, for the floors, and for the bed to be comfy in the cold.  And ya, things are more expensive than before.  :(

9 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I don't think free access is really a necessary condition for being able to go to the Olympics and be exempt from the pre-isolation. Elite athletes will have access to the vaccine even if most of the population is left out in the cold. In a very long list of countries on Our World in Data providing vaccination rate data there are only 2 countries with no data on vaccination: Djibouti and Papua New Guinea, and there are no countries with a known 0% vaccination rate. Even failed states like Haiti have some people vaccinated (only 0.2%, but still it's not 0%). So for any athlete who qualifies for the Olympics either they will have a legit medical exemption, or it will be a choice not to be vaccinated.

23 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/29/youtube-to-remove-misinformation-videos-about-all-vaccines

The Article says Youtube has been taking action against COVID misinformation for at least a year. But I guess this active removal of videos is a new escalation.

I'm not a facebooker so I don't know what it's doing about these things. [Social]media companies need to be doing as much as possible to ensure their platforms are not sources or catalysts for spread of misinformation about COVID (or vaccines in general). Of course there are entire news networks that are happy to keep the narrative going for political purposes. And I wonder if Youtube is going to ban videos from these corporates? Fox News possibly being the bad of the COVID misinformation networks now.

I think what is new is that they are extending their policies about COVID vaccine information to misinformation about any vaccine for any disease -- for example, they should now be removing content that claims that vaccines cause autism, or that influenza vaccines are created by lizard alien shapeshifters, etc. 

It's a pity they didn't have a take-down policy for anti-vax falsehoods before COVID even existed. That way they could have announced over a year ago that their anti-vax takedown policy is being extended to COVID vaccines, rather than only now announcing their COVID anti-vax policy is being extended to all vaccines.

Archived