US Politics: all the progressive's fault

Kalbear

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Not to be a party pooper but Asa Hutchinson is pretty much your standard Bush Republican who's been publicly against Trump since 1/6.  His comments are in line with what he's been saying for a year.  

Yeah, establishment R's that have always lined up with the establishment not liking Trump isn't even a muppet news flash.  Pretty sure Liz Cheney feels the same way.

Don't go goring my ox!

1 hour ago, DMC said:

New York Dems just released their redistricting plan this afternoon, they should gain 3 seats (from 19 to 22) - and that's accounting for the state losing a seat.  Fortifies some lean Dem seats too.  

Does this help increase the odds of the D's holding onto the House from 'snowballs chance in Hell' to an 'uphill but realistic maybe?'  Or will the R's subject this particular plan to a (successful?) court challenge?

7 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Or will the R's subject this particular plan to a (successful?) court challenge?

The thing to remember about court challenges is it entirely depends on the state courts - and the redistricting laws of each state.  In Rucho v Common Cause, this SCOTUS (or ok, pretty much this SCOTUS) ruled partisan gerrymandering to be a political question, which means they aren't going to take any such cases.  I suppose it's possible a racial gerrymandering case could reach them, but that's very unlikely to cost the Dems any seats.  Anyway, point is I don't know enough about any state's highest court to answer whether any challenges would be successful or not.

As for how much this helps Dems' chances, I'd refer you back to previous answers.  Plus, this gain may be evened out by Florida.  It looked like the GOP legislature (or at least in the Senate) settled on a very tepid map - one that Dems were happy with.  But DeSantis then came out with his own map.  He, obviously, can't technically do that, but since he's got the veto it probably means the GOP legislature will settle on a considerably more aggressive map.

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Does this help increase the odds of the D's holding onto the House from 'snowballs chance in Hell' to an 'uphill but realistic maybe?'  Or will the R's subject this particular plan to a (successful?) court challenge?

Redistricting has gone well enough for Democrats that if they lose the House in 2022, it will not be because of redistricting.  It will be because they aren't popular enough with voters. 

The good news is that since the 2022 House map will be significantly more fair than the 2012 House map, the chance of a Democrat winning the White House but losing the House is lower.  That is what happened in 2012 in spite of that being an excellent election year for Democrats.  If Democrats lose the House in 2022 and then things improve for the Democrats and Biden is reelected, odds are good that they'll carry the House too.  Which is (sadly) very important since there's a good chance the election will be contested and if the Republicans control both houses who knows what the hell happens. 

Just saw that DeSantis is attracting controversy for not denouncing a neo-nazi rally in Orlando on Saturday and his spokesperson questioning if they were really nazis (they clearly are).  Not too surprised by all that, just really personally depressing because the "rally" took place at Waterford Lakes.  I lived about 100 yards from there for four years and I love that place.  

It's an international movement, what's going on.  Anti vaxing, anti-mandate, like previously, anti-BLM and antifa, are all fronts behind which are gathered the neo nazis, boogalood, proud boys, oath keepers, white supremacists, reich xtian nationalists, etc.  They are all over Eastern and Western Europe, Russia, and now, we see, in Canada too.  Something very big is going to blow at some point, and Very Bad is no description of what it will be at all.  I feel as though we've fallen into one of Sheri Tepper's novel, where the crazies have entirely taken over Earth.

Double post, but this is part of what we're dealing with:

https://www.rawstory.com/high-profile-wisconsin-republicans-speak-at-gop-meeting-in-front-of-anti-government-flag/

A number of Wisconsin Republicans running for office this year spoke in front of the flag of an anti-government ideology that advocates for the violent overthrow of American democracy at a meeting of the Winnebago County Republican Party this weekend.

Cruz calls Biden's promise to nominate first Black woman to Supreme Court 'offensive' and 'insulting'

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/politics/ted-cruz-black-woman-supreme-court/index.html

(CNN)Texas Sen. Ted Cruz called President Joe Biden's commitment to nominate the first Black woman to the Supreme Court "offensive" and said that by doing so the President is telling other Americans "you are ineligible."

"The fact that he's willing to make a promise at the outset, that it must be a Black woman, I gotta say that's offensive. You know, you know Black women are what, 6% of the US population? He's saying to 94% of Americans, 'I don't give a damn about you, you are ineligible'," Cruz said on an episode of his podcast "Verdict with Ted Cruz" that was released on Sunday. In 2019, Black women represented 7% of the US population, according to the US Census Bureau.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Cruz calls Biden's promise to nominate first Black woman to Supreme Court 'offensive' and 'insulting'

My favorite was Susan Collins saying there was somehow a difference between Biden promising to nominate a black woman and Reagan promising to nominate a woman.  Uh, no, the only difference is Biden specified the woman would be black.

2 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Collins, for me, is even more pathetic than Cancun Ted. And that's saying something.

Well, I still bet she votes for Biden's nominee unless an unknown controversy arises.

15 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/politics/ted-cruz-black-woman-supreme-court/index.html

Just remember, only in American can a Canadian born Latino recast himself as a white racist Southerner. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

My favorite was Susan Collins saying there was somehow a difference between Biden promising to nominate a black woman and Reagan promising to nominate a woman.  Uh, no, the only difference is Biden specified the woman would be black.

Trump also promised to nominate a woman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/20/trump-vows-to-nominate-a-woman-for-us-supreme-court-vacancy-within-a-week

17 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Trump also promised to nominate a woman.

Right but the comparison Collins was making was between Biden and Reagan because they both made the pledge during their campaigns.  Plus, in Collins' case, she did vote against Barrett, so that's not the greatest example.

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

So, Reagan’s pledge to nominate the first female Justice…?

Krugman may call them the 'antisocial right' but I call them sociopathic reich,

Add another flag, like anti-vax,behind which the neo nazis et al. attempt to sort of, kind of, pretend to, veil their actual sociopathic agenda, while wildly promoting it -- crypto currency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/opinion/republican-misinformation-coronavirus.html

Archived