Book of Boba Fett: The Upstaging of Din Djarin [SPOILERS]

Rhom

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is “Spice” Star Wars Universe Heroin?

No doubt a key ingredient in Death Sticks. I still don't get why they're driving it around Tatooine on trains and hover craft when I'm pretty sure it all originates off planet. So like fly your spaceship to the town you're selling it in and don't worry about Tuskens or Marshalls. 

RE: attachment maybe Luke has been talking to Yoda and his ghost dad. Since Obi-Wan did such a shit job of telling him the story of the prequels. Anakin did turn because of his attachments and I'd imagine he probably thinks Yoda was right about all that. Probably doesn't want his kid falling in love and then going nuts when she dies. 

Edit: I also meant to mention Luke's training methods. To quote South Park "That just seems kinda.... mean to frogs."

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

RE: attachment maybe Luke has been talking to Yoda and his ghost dad.

Interesting thought.  But with Yoda, would his advice be any different than it always was?  Definitely seemed to have a "no regrets" attitude on his approach on his death bed. 

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

To quote South Park "That just seems kinda.... mean to frogs."

LOL.

1 hour ago, Kalibuster said:

Obi-Wan and Yoda flat-out lie to Luke to try and get him to kill Vader. The only reason they don't want him to go is because they think he can kill Vader if he gets enough training and without that training he can't kill Vader. The idea that Vader could come back is not remotely on their minds whatsoever and is outright dismissed by Obi-Wan in RotJ. 

Luke defeats Vader in combat, and then flat out refuses to kill him despite Yoda's dying wish and Obi-Wan's insistence on it and the Emperor's wish. He doesn't turn evil like the Emperor wants - and doesn't strike down his enemy to turn evil like what Anakin did. He chooses the thing Yoda and Obi-Wan never did, which is a combination of pacifism and compassion. 

Let's stick with Yoda.  Yoda comes to believe that Luke's ultimate destiny is to become a jedi and bring back the jedi order.  Yoda believes that this destiny/duty should override everything else including what Yoda believes is Luke's selfish desire to help his friends out who are in pain.

Yoda believes that this desire is selfish because Luke hasn't completed his training and by going to Cloud City he puts the destiny of the Jedi Order at risk, either by being killed by Vader, or worse being turned by Vader.

And presumably this isn't something that Yoda is taking lightly assuming that Lea was supposed to be the other possible jedi savior he and Obi spoke of in ESB.

But Luke acts rashly and goes anyway because he allows his feelings for his friends to override his duty which is to become a jedi.  He's willing to risk losing that possibility to help his friends out, even if it's a futile gesture.

Thus Yoda becomes concerned that Luke isn't cut out to be the one to bring back the jedi order.  And in fact he very well may be on the same path that turned Anakin to Darth Vader.

The Empire Strikes Back does not end on a high note.  At the time it came out (and yes I'm old enough to have seen it when it and it's predecessor first came out in the movies) a lot of people were disappointed with the ending of the movie.  I think that was intentional.  Luke's actions at the end of the movie were not meant to be celebrated.  He did act selfishly, and he failed to rescue his friends and in fact he was the one who ended up needing to be rescued.

So Luke returns to his training, and this time when he goes to rescue his friends, he's ready.  

You have a very cynical take on Yoda's motivations, which I'm not sure is fair.  I think you have a better argument as to Obi-Wan.  But Yoda never tells Luke that he needs to kill Vader.  Yoda tells Luke that his final step for self-actualization (i.e. becoming a jedi) is to "confront" Vader.  And to confront Vader without anger, hate, or aggression.

And if you recall one of the lessons that Luke failed on Dogaboh was his trip into the cave.  Where he struck down Vader only to see his face inside the helmet.  

If Yoda's primary motivation was to get Luke to kill Sith, I think his final conversation with Luke would have gone very differently.  After all, Yoda seemed pretty certain that Luke was going to come into contact with the Emperor but Yoda never tells Luke that he has to confront him as well.  Yoda just warns Luke about the Emperor's power and influence.

Mando is setting up Grogu to be the ultimate Jedi Knight: Mithril Beskar shirt + lightsaber

That shirt is worth more than the whole of the Shire a box of spice Mos Palos Freetown

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were famously (or I suppose "infamously" for all you squares) fucked up throughout filming - specifically the Cloud City scenes.  If you rewatch the scene where they arrive and Han introduces Lando you can see it, especially with Fisher.

Fisher's substance abuse issues were well known, but I had not heard that about Ford. Anyways, I thought the implication was that their characters were getting faded on the way to CC which would allow Luke more time to train.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Anyways, I thought the implication was that their characters were getting faded on the way to CC which would allow Luke more time to train.

If the actors that played them were - not to mention having a romance rather parallel to their characters - who's to say they weren't?!?

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

If the actors that played them were - not to mention having a romance rather parallel to their characters - who's to say they weren't?!?

Damnit man that's not the point! I'm trying to figure out if Luke did the first few weeks of a couch to 5k program and then decided to head off to CC to run a marathon. 

1 hour ago, Kalibuster said:

Maybe? I would think something like that with Boba coming back, doing random shitty things with the powerpuff rangers, Mando finding Halo and looking for the covert, building a whole new ship - there's some decent time passed. Not a ton, I don't think, but some. 

I realize Ty was talking about Episode VI (a proper designation to differentiate between that movie and Boba Episode 6)...but I was thinking, when reading all of this, that it doesn't really matter if there is a decent amount of time with Luke and Grogu...it sure seems that Luke's gone to the snap decision making method of Jedi Training...especially if he's espousing what the Order was like before, and not because of what he learned through the movies...

When Mando sat down to wait i was so hoping for Luke to show up riding on Grogu's back as part of his training.  I was disappointed the director went a different way. 

I think the Book of Boba Fett may be an actual book written by Boba Fett about all the interesting people that lived on or came to visit Tatooine,  not about his own adventures.    

Skipped passed all the chatter again.

Can we get my dude out of the sack?

Less would be more of Luke and his training. Luke worked really well in small doses but is getting exposed.

The training drone worked but again smaller doses.

Love Rosariohka/Ashario.

Still hate the Naboo ship.

Love Timothy.

I forget if I was complaining about Cad Bane or Cobb Vanth or whatever - but I meant Cad Bane. Never IRL.

Oh for fuck sake. Cad Bane. He is both more and less stupid knowing some of his history. Less because he already looks like he's from the W3 and it isn't the show being weirdly on the nose. But it is fanservice that I did not request.

Get my dude out of the sack!

Not enjoying The Choice where Grogu decides he's taking his talents to Tattooine. (Predicted)

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Less would be more of Luke and his training. Luke worked really well in small doses but is getting exposed.

I don't know if I entirely/necessarily agree, but again, I do think the scene where he just breaks out the lightsaber and starts doing moves like he's making a youtube video or Mac from Always Sunny is just like "WTF am I watching?!?"

5 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

Also, Luke mansplaining Yoda to Grogu when Yoda was likely Grogu's teacher at one point is pretty funny.

That was ... Confusing.

5 hours ago, sologdin said:

anyway, little bugger steals yoda's laser sword and the mithril, watch.  he and din can be mandojedis together.

My teeth will be on edge like I'm eating something entirely too sweet and I'm going to fucking love it and then get cavities from it.

2 hours ago, ithanos said:

Can't recall if Din had the Darksaber on him, surely he does, so a missed opportunity for Ahsoka to notice it and for Din not to ask for future lessons, non-jedi to non-jedi.

Now I'm mad this didn't happen.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know if I entirely/necessarily agree, but again, I do think the scene where he just breaks out the lightsaber and starts doing moves like he's making a youtube video or Mac from Always Sunny is just like "WTF am I watching?!?"

The frog scene was - as is - a perfect meme for "oh your stupid? Look how stupid I am!!!" . It could have been a very funny, silly in a Star Wars-y way that works if it moved faster. Same with Luke's bizarre blue milk scene in the movies -- letting the shot linger turns the scene from an amusing aside to something no longer funny and bordering on stupid/uncomfortable.

Eta-- as I'm thinking about it, I think I blocked out Luke's random sword dancing for exactly that reason. Sometimes I just turn off lobes of my brain or ignore parts of scenes so that I can enjoy Star Wars as those tasty memberberries.

5 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Sophie’s choice henceforth to be renamed Grogu’s choice

....So you're saying the reason Grogu isn't around during the sequel trilogy is because he killed himself?

9 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

He’s going to make healthier choices because he is surrounded by so many loving parental figures

Indeed.  Anyway I wouldn't compare that choice to Sophie's.  More like a red/blue pill dichotomy.  I did like how Luke pointed out that a lifetime for others is only a short time for Grogu, emphasizing that he will eventually lose Din one way or another.

9 minutes ago, sologdin said:

maybe the silver naboo fighter is behind the ghost in IX's finale?

Din and Grogu shoulda been in the vanguard!  Hera and Chopper, not so much.

In the brief scene where Boba does appear Fennec does all the talking. Even when Din walks in, Boba merely nods and otherwise awkwardly stands there. I don't know if that's Morrison's and Filoni's idea of Boba not needing to talk so much, but it felt a lot like they just had a stand-in for Morrison. Seeing what they did with Luke I can believe that wasn't Morrison. So I have to wonder if there is more to why these last 2 episodes were practically without Boba. Were there production issues and Morrison wasn't available? They couldn't possibly say they didn't have enough material. There was plenty more they could have done with just the players on Tatooine. We could have actually gotten a Rancor training montage, which had been set up.

On another note, all this talk of Han appearing reminds me that Lando is going to have a show, so I would not be surprised if Lando shows up with the ship from the games, Lady Luck, to canonize one more thing. Why not at this point.

Archived