Football: Red Card for the Roman Empire

A Horse Named Stranger

Klopp doing match analysis/punditry during the WC 2006 was quite good/fun.

Altho, Ronaldinho just thought it to be more on the funny side of things. A guy draws lines and arrows. 

Anyway, I enjoy those more tactical analysis way more than ex-players give their impression of what Joe Sixpack discusses in a pub at 6 am after his club lost. But with United, that akin to discussing how and at which angle the Titanic struck the iceberg. 

For my money, Neville is the best pundit out there. I fucking hated him when he was a player. What a mouthy little gobshite he was. And when he joined Sky, I doubted he'd be able to keep his loyalties in check. But he surprised everyone, and is now my favourite for the co-com seat after Smudger.

Overall, I think coverage would be better if, instead of populating their panels exclusively with former players, TV companies peppered their panels with the odd football journalist.

I mean, watching Carlton Cole and Joe Cole on BT Sport makes me want to gauge my eyes out. The two of them combine to form what is literally the thickest substance on earth. Absolute viscosity. Fucking dreadful stuff.

There are a wealth of excellent journalists and commenters who have so much to say on the game, it's utterly incestuous that people like Joe Cole get work talking about football. In a world where football has moved well beyond 'needs to run about a bit' there is no excuse for getting the opinions of players from the 90s who have nothing relevant to impart.

Punditry I'd like to see, Guardiola and Tuchel talking about/analyzing a game. That would be quite something. Guys like Keane would probably check out in front of the telly, but it's something I'd want to watch.

Cant stand that absolute idiot. Scholes is always talking about united like they deserve to win every game because of some past glory days.

Like when Villarreal beat them on europa final. He never gave the Spanish team credit, instead he went on and on about how shit united are. He spoke as if man united underperformed and shouldve won that game when it was Villarreal that performed better thanks to emery masterclass.

51 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Like when Villarreal beat them on europa final. He never gave the Spanish team credit, instead he went on and on about how shit united are. He spoke as if man united underperformed and shouldve won that game when it was Villarreal that performed better thanks to emery masterclass.

Tbf, it wasn't just Scholes. The entire build up to that game was basically a procession of former United players telling Sky Sports that United just had to turn up to win it. And I mean turn up in the figurative sense. There was no real acceptance that Emery's team had any kind of chance should both teams play to something approaching their best. 

And yeah, remarkably little credit was given to Emery for winning the thing, again. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Punditry I'd like to see, Guardiola and Tuchel talking about/analyzing a game. That would be quite something. Guys like Keane would probably check out in front of the telly, but it's something I'd want to watch.

Yeah, that would be amazing.

In the meantime, just get Michael Cox on the box. Guy's a genius. 

So, Ivan Toney. Should Arsenal sign him?

Personally, I think he would improve us. He's a proper striker who seems to score more than he misses. Since he came back in for Brentford, he's looking very tasty indeed.

I think he'd improve you, but possibly not as much as other players you could get might. Even looking at other players in the relegation scrap or thereabouts, Bamford probably suits your style better (though he's older and injury prone so might not be worth the gamble) and Dennis might just be better rounded and certainly has less clunky close control than Toney occasionally displays.

Basically I think if you got him he'd add goalscoring instincts and a physical presence but possibly at a cost of holding up the team play you've been building up sometimes. 

Yeah, I like Bamford too, while harbouring concerns over his fitness. He's an intelligent footballer, seems to be of the required character, and would probably slip into Arteta's set up quite well. 

Toney, on the other hand, is potentially a bit of a troublemaker. God knows what he was thinking saying 'fuck Brentford' on camera. Under Arteta, I could see him getting banished. 

But he would certainly make us more efficient in front of goal. Sometimes, you just need someone to stick it in the back of the net. And we're desperate for someone like that.

Arsenal’s formation looks very similar to Liverpool ATM, except with FBs not so advanced.  Their MF balance is similar with a central DM, a passing but not too attacking LMF and a more advanced RMF, and then their forwards use a hard-working false 9 splitting two pacy wide forwards further forward.  Would Toney (nice player in the traditional #9 role) actually fit that system?  It runs the risk that only Odegaard connects the attacking play, which opponents could target and close down.

Saka and Martinelli look like great talents to build their attack around, especially as they both develop in the coming years.  Laca actually helps them both, just like Firmino used to for Liverpool (and hopefully will again).

But I don’t watch Arsenal much.  The only full games I’ve watched for them were against Liverpool, where they heavily targeted Martinelli and Saka in the space behind our FBs. But perhaps that’s not their typical style.  Even so, if they did get a traditional #9 they’d probably need to replace Xhaka at LMF with someone more like Odegaard, and then hope that Partey can screen the defense all by himself.

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But he would certainly make us more efficient in front of goal. Sometimes, you just need someone to stick it in the back of the net. And we're desperate for someone like that.

Patrik Schick tbqh.

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Even so, if they did get a traditional #9 they’d probably need to replace Xhaka at LMF with someone more like Odegaard, and then hope that Partey can screen the defense all by himself.

To be fair, this shouldn't present a problem in personnell terms, since Emile Smith-Rowe is very suited to that role and when they've played with both in that almost half-10 role I've really enjoyed their attacking play- but you're right about the risks of Partey screening by himself.  

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Patrik Schick tbqh.

Yeah, he's having a really good season. Have seen his name linked with the club, and I certainly wouldn't say no. 

38 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Would Toney (nice player in the traditional #9 role) actually fit that system? 

I think he could do what Lacazette is currently being asked to do, but with added goal threat. He could also work as an effective Plan B. He just strikes me as a really good player. He's feckin' deadly in front of goal. And stick him in a decent, well coached team, and I think he could move up a level or two.

Nice goal, embarrassing defending.

I mean the obvious answer to Arsenal's striker issues would be Nkunku but I think at this point that's probably unlikely even if you did make the CL.  

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

If we beat Everton 8-0 they drop into bottom 3. 50/50 chance I reckon.

I thought there was a chance of this but Van de Beek is out with illness. 

Archived