Football: Heartening Developments

polishgenius

5 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

In the uk alone younger fans are being priced out of football. Its just too expensive to even watch it on the tv. I know its the same for Europe as well (not sure if all of it).

I think we soon will see a decline of viewership (legal viewership) in Europe or just maybe the uk, within the next decade or maybe a bit later. Because most of my cousins or friends that are in their early 20s just dont bother watching matches even tho they like football.

From what I see its not just the season ticket holders and the expensive tickets. It is also the inflated prices for tv packages. Broadcasters and FAs seem to have forgotten that they need to have football as accessible as possible so that the next generation catch that football fever that people like me have for the sport.

If it keeps going on like this, within a couple decades they will feel the pinch of the damage theyve done.

Even the geniuses behind the European Super League were able to identify that young people weren’t watching football any more. It was said they have more awareness of football from playing something like FIFA, than from the actual games.

That doesn’t surprise me. If I was a teenager or even in my 20s in the UK how would I watch football? I surely couldn’t afford to go to games, I couldn’t afford to pay for the numerous tv packages.

I would have to hope my parents could afford it or wanted it, or maybe I could go to the pub if I’m older to watch occasional matches. Even then it’s really hard to find a pub with football on, and the experience is not conducive to actually watching the game.

Or I try to waste my time and energy watching illegal streams, which aren’t always good quality and fall down every 5 mins. 

Personally I rarely watch games, I don’t have the time, I don’t want to spend the money on the packages and on top of that , I have to be honest a lot of football games are actually very boring

What that means for the game long term I don’t know 

36 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What that means for the game long term I don’t know 

The writing is in the wall. The game will decline if this continues. Just wait for this generation to phase out. It might not be this decade or the next, but I guarantee you that before the end of the century football will begin a steady decline.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You either don't know what dogshit or usual means. 

Do you watch our games? We make every team we play against look the better team recently. And we scored, sure, but that was our first non-comical shot of the match, and happened directly after Watford had a one-on-one against Alisson. We have been dogshit.

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Small excursion into the depth of fourth tier German football (Regionalliga Südwest). I know you are all into European leagues, which are on the same level as an average MLS team.

But this story is absurd enough to share. It involves Kickers Offenbach in Hessen, also a former Bundesliga club with a rich tradition, that is now playing below their potential. Anyway, here goes the story.

They had a corona outbreak in their squad. Apparently massive enough for the city's health authority to step in and order a shutdown for training and match days. So they duly requested to reschedule their away game at Bahlingen on Sunday, some village in the state of BW. Their request got denied. But the legal reasoning is quite something. 

They are scheduled to play away at Bahlingen, thus outside the jurisdiction of the local health authority. They are only forbidden to gather and play within the citiy limits of Offenbach. Thus there's no reason not to play the game as planned.

No, I am not making that one up. Offenbachs DoF Thomas Sobotzik is not particularly happy with that decission. As he put it. We are being forced to break the law by the league. That decission has nothing to do with fairness, or with acting responsibly. We will travel there, alright, to avoid losing the game by forfeit. We've already informed the opposing team and the referees, that we are a risk group and that we are not supposed to have any contact with them.

I really hope that was the league and Kickers Offenbach making an April's fool's joke.

Update.

Game has been postponed... due to poor pitch conditions. Yes, snow showers in recent days, came somewhat surprising

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Do you watch our games? We make every team we play against look the better team recently. And we scored, sure, but that was our first non-comical shot of the match, and happened directly after Watford had a one-on-one against Alisson. We have been dogshit.

I don't need to watch evey game to know that the team that's top of the league, just won the league cup, is still in the FA Cup and champions league at the start of April, has the best centre half in the world as well as the world's best forward, and at worst the 3rd best manager in the world isn't dogshit. 

Regardless of what one may think about performances, it is quite impressive how City and Liverpool can keep churning out results even when not at their best. Liverpool have now won 10 consecutive PL games for the 5th time and join City as the only other club to have won 10 or more consecutive PL games on 5 separate occasions. Just shows that those two teams are simply miles above everyone else in the league.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

Regardless of what one may think about performances, it is quite impressive how City and Liverpool can keep churning out results even when not at their best. Liverpool have now won 10 consecutive PL games for the 5th time and join City as the only other club to have won 10 or more consecutive PL games on 5 separate occasions. Just shows that those two teams are simply miles above everyone else in the league.

Fucking dogshit. 

Liverpool's constant grinding out of wins just speaks to Klopp's ability as a manager, not just week to week but over his career- coz as much as it's nice to watch when they're shining, he's prioritised for a while now building a defensive unit and harrassing the opposition first, and then playing the pretty football when that comes together, which is the literal opposite of that relentlessly exciting and skillful, but fragile Dortmund team and shows he learned lessons from there.  

It's why Firmino still consistently plays - one can argue about his shitness in possession and it'd obviously be better if he was better, but he disrupts the opposition and Klopp as built a team better than anyone at disrupting the pattern of the match and then scrapping through the chaos. 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's why Firmino still consistently plays - one can argue about his shitness in possession and it'd obviously be better if he was better, but he disrupts the opposition and Klopp as built a team better than anyone at disrupting the pattern of the match and then scrapping through the chaos. 

Firmino isn't the only player who can do this though. I appreciate what he does off the ball, but picking a player solely for what he does out of possession is madness.

The main reason Firmino consistently plays is because Klopp has his favourites. This is also why Wijnaldum played constantly for us, despite only actually being good in 1/10 games. You only have to look at PSG to see how players like that fare without their manager's protection.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nope. Didn't. Disagreed with your assessment as it being 'usual'. 

For the past 5-6 games we've made everyone we've played look like the best team in the world. We're winning anyway, which is the important thing of course, but it gets frustrating that every fucker that plays us batters us.

Our 'best player in the world' Salah has scored a grand total of 4 non-penalty goals this year. Frightening.

Is it unreasonable to expect that we have a comfortable game against poor opposition once in a while?

Don't get me wrong, I complain way too much, but not all of it is unjustified.

Archived