US Politics: I Don't Like Mondays

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

They are a US police. They have a lot of unethical if not illegal stuff to hide by default and they know that cooperation with law enforcement has never helped anyone.

This isn’t business as usual.  There is something very strange going on here.

Just saw this.  It seems the “Commander on the Scene” who ordered Law Enforcement to wait Police Chief Pete Arredona of the Uvalde CISD Police Department was sworn in as a member of the Uvalde City Council in a private ceremony after the public and press were told the swearing in would be “delayed”:

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I expect anyone and everyone connected to that department to cover up anything and everything they can

There is doubtless a great deal else, and even ongoing great deal else, that the Uvalde police dept. doesn't want national notice landing on, which  cannot but happen with any outside investigation and scrutiny -- whether more locally or / and the DOJ.  Border. TX. Cops. Racism. Etc.

~~~~~~~~

Evidently the teacher who had propped open the school door when she was carrying materials out of the school to her car as part of the end-of-year tasks, saw the shooter, raced to shut the door, which she did, and which is supposed to be self-locking then, preventing opening from the outside entry.  The lock failed. 

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They’re very obviously hiding something.  

They are a Police Department in the US, ofc they do.

If the investigation establishes that they failed in doing their job (and basically suck at it), that could widen scope of the investigation from the shooting, to what are they actually spending their money on , or what other shenanigans are they doing, when they are not stopping an active shooter in a school. That's imo a more realistic explanation, than them shooting the kids.

The teachers lay on the children to protect them,” Orlando [10-year-old Robb Elementary student] said.

The cops stood there. 

Two Mothers Confront the Unimaginable in Uvalde
Years of frustration with the local police and school officials have boiled into rage

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/two-mothers-confront-the-unimaginable-in-uvalde [subscription paywall]

.... Quiroz stopped writing and shook her head. Years of frustration with the local police and school officials boiled into rage. Meth use, meagre wages, and racial tension had roiled Uvalde for years, she and other residents said. Now the unimaginable had happened. The police department’s claims about the shooting did not match her son’s version of events. Nor did it match what Quiroz, her sister Carolina, and their cousin had seen with their own eyes. Their children had no reason to lie. They could not say the same of the police.

The police disclosures haunted Quiroz and her family. Could Jayce have been saved if officers had stormed the classroom sooner? Given that the police department was a mile and a half from the school, why did it take officers twelve minutes to arrive? In the restaurant, Quiroz seethed with Carolina and their cousin’s wife, Amber, who co-owns the restaurant. “They said they were waiting on keys to open the doors,” Carolina said. “He”—the shooter—“went in right through the doors, so how were they waiting on keys?” Quiroz added, “The parents were breaking windows. How could the cops not have broken any windows? The police is a fucking joke.”

“They’re so full of shit,” Amber replied.

“He’s only one guy with an AR-15,” Quiroz said. “If one of you all gets shot in the process of going in, oh, well, that’s your oath. You took the oath to serve and protect. But you’re not doing anything. You’re standing there, letting these kids get killed.” ....

.... The boy marvelled at the courage of the school staff. “The teachers lay on the children to protect them,” Orlando said. After pausing for a moment, he grew emotional and spoke of Jayce, his ten-year-old relative who was murdered. “My little cousin was dying,” he said “All my friends were hugging me, and I was telling them, ‘Guys, we’re away from the danger now.’ ” The boys remained silent until Ryan, who will start attending Robb Elementary as a second grader in the fall, said that he was not looking forward to it. When I asked why, he said, simply, “Because of the shooting.” ....

16 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

At this point, I expect anyone and everyone connected to that department to cover up anything and everything they can.  Virtually nothing was done right during this tragedy.  The question is, whether the guilt felt by some, will it be enough to see any kind of justice done for those families who lost loved ones?

This. In spades.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:52 PM, Larry of the Lake said:

Not that there's any good reason to get a DUI, but how the fuck does someone that rich not have a salaried driver?  

That rich and that aged, to be honest. I mean most 80 year old I've known (not many) have not been comfortable driving even if they've been highly alert and were aging well. To be 80 and drunk driving? These people think the rules don't apply to them. I had a beer the other night with a friend, and I decided to walk home.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, Zorral said:

Lockdown drills in Uvalde Robb Elementary were useful.

https://www.vox.com/23144105/lockdown-drills-active-shooter-uvalde-robb-texas

However!  

If I were parenting a school age child, I would prefer the kids had experienced the drills.  Though maybe not pre-schoolers?  Each parent has to decide for their own little kids.

Of course what would be most useful is a serious, caring mental health system with adequate funding, social media cracking down on hate, and getting rid of such much easy acquisition and access to so many so deadly weapons, that even a little kid can handle.

I, however, shall not hold my breath on that.

You know, I'll never forget the lockdown drill we had in one of my last years as a middle school teacher. One of the groups who was providing our district with lockdown training convinced admins it'd be a good idea to have a lockdown drill without telling anyone (teachers, students, employees, etc.) that it was a drill.

I believed during the drill it wasn't real, but I couldn't be sure, so as our dopey principal went around letting himself into each room to tell us everything was okay, I damn near took him out with a chair. He turned white and walked back out of the room, closed the door, then after moment knocked and said, "Everything's all clear..."

Our students were terrified, people were pissed, and the next day at school about half the students didn't come in. It was traumatizing as the article notes.

Always more to chalk up to the Uvalde cops' utter failure to even pretend they were doing what they were supposedly hired and paid to do.

"This poor woman survived a school shooting and law enforcement immediately tried to railroad her for it, in service of their hasty bullshit ass-covering."

2 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

You know, I'll never forget the lockdown drill we had in one of my last years as a middle school teacher. One of the groups who was providing our district with lockdown training convinced admins it'd be a good idea to have a lockdown drill without telling anyone (teachers, students, employees, etc.) that it was a drill.

That seriously toxic judgment call on how to handle this drill in your school doesn't invalidate that the drills the Uvalde kids and teachers had experienced, helped some of the Uvalde kids, since they knew what to do.  Their teachers' behaviors show how well they understood what was going on.  And how much they cared for the kids. Clearly this wasn't a school with stupid people running it.  The more one reads  from the Uvalde kids' own words the more one sees this.

And by golly, having gone through this, the real thing, they are now traumatized.

3 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

That rich and that aged, to be honest. I mean most 80 year old I've known (not many) have not been comfortable driving even if they've been highly alert and were aging well. To be 80 and drunk driving? These people think the rules don't apply to them. I had a beer the other night with a friend, and I decided to walk home.

Saw a blurb yesterday or the day before that claimed Pelosi's husband was issued the DUI because he was involved in an actual accident that resulted in substantial damage to both vehicles.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They’re very obviously hiding something.  

Let’s not actively turn another mass shooting into a story about something tangential to the shooting like, well, every single gun rights person wants to see happen again.

Yes, I think they fucked up a lot and are probably covering their asses but they did not cause this, they just either didn’t help enough or potentially allowed it to go on for longer than they could have. Remember too that a significant chunk of the population believe police lives > civilian lives, possibly including the USSC, so it’s not that shocking. 

26 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Let’s not actively turn another mass shooting into a story about something tangential to the shooting like, well, every single gun rights person wants to see happen again.

Yes, I think they fucked up a lot and are probably covering their asses but they did not cause this, they just either didn’t help enough or potentially allowed it to go on for longer than they could have. Remember too that a significant chunk of the population believe police lives > civilian lives, possibly including the USSC, so it’s not that shocking. 

I attempted to create a seperate thread to discuss Uvalde specifically for this very reason.  We need better firearms regulation in the US.  But something incredibly fishy is going on with the Uvalde Law Enforcement agencies and it is emblematic of problems with US Law Enforcement generally.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I attempted to create a seperate thread to discuss Uvalde specifically for this very reason.  We need better firearms regulation in the US.  But something incredibly fishy is going on with the Uvalde Law Enforcement agencies and it is emblematic of problems with US Law Enforcement generally.

I hear you. I agree that, on it’s own, it’s worthy of discussion. But overall it falls way too conveniently into the ‘anything but guns’ post-mass-shooting discussion dynamic the right fosters. Not remotely suggesting that is your aim at all, just trying to forestall it happening here. But I am not the decider of what’s right and wrong so I’ve said my piece and will shut up about it now. 

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I agree that, on it’s own, it’s worthy of discussion. But overall it falls way too conveniently into the ‘anything but guns’ post-mass-shooting discussion dynamic the right fosters. Not remotely suggesting that is your aim at all, just trying to forestall it happening here.

If it's worthy of a DOJ investigation it's worthy of a separate discussion here.  I get what you're saying but this thread doesn't have to play down to such low expectations of discourse.

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

At least three reported killed at a Tulsa hospital shooting. Rinse and repeat. America, fuck yeah...

There were/are also like, 2 other shootings happening simultaneously I think?

edited: cause may not be past tense

Archived