International Events IX: I feel like a mushroom

Which Tyler

It seems that the most action is coming from Mexican President López Obrador, who is sending PEMEX personnel to the scene. 

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=c7b2610bbc&attid=0.0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1740446903256940158&th=18274f3cbb0efe7e&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_jzt3mW0yrAurODWvQawT_eKmBEZQmlpqRl4Lo76kiUNNhV1LEdIXk87Rhwxaf65ZaKpLRIMvVVN52uQ9dgBHXTk-hoHksVrwxcGBl6rkAJABg9Q01MZxrsgg&disp=emb

5 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

No doubt, the assistance -- like my selfless willingness to invest in Cuba sometime in the future -- will be mutually beneficial.

Agreed. Though, I was actually speaking of that to my father the other day (I was visiting the family in Florida), and he warned that it's not enough that the government says they welcome investment and so on. They need to actually provide firm, very clear protections against government takeover of enterprises. 

As it stands, investment opportunities that exist now are unlikely to go anywhere. The two investment funds that I know of wound up at a loss, and I was once approached by a company refurbishing apartments in Cuba promising incredible returns... but they haven't updated their Cuba page since 2017, and haven't updated their blog since 2020, so I don't know how that's been going for them. I think during the Obama era there was a lot of optimism and positive noise, but there's going to need to be more than that for serious development.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Agreed. Though, I was actually speaking of that to my father the other day (I was visiting the family in Florida), and he warned that it's not enough that the government says they welcome investment and so on. They need to actually provide firm, very clear protections against government takeover of enterprises. 

As it stands, investment opportunities that exist now are unlikely to go anywhere. The two investment funds that I know of wound up at a loss, and I was once approached by a company refurbishing apartments in Cuba promising incredible returns... but they haven't updated their Cuba page since 2017, and haven't updated their blog since 2020, so I don't know how that's been going for them. I think during the Obama era there was a lot of optimism and positive noise, but there's going to need to be more than that for serious development.

Ack your father's point, and I have lots of hope for the country. It's past time. I've been actively waiting over a decade, but I can't do anything until a real government steps in (and the old one liquidated, by locals). Otherwise, too much risk.

Cubans are my favorite out of all the Mexicans.

Somehow re investment in Cuba failure has edited out the US prohibition for anyone to do so, and not only USians but anyone in any country who wants to do business or have business in the US.

BTW -- Partner was there last month, so has serious on-the-ground knowledge of what's going on there. All the communication since from the friends and family in Cuba have told us how much worse, how quickly too!, it got worse right after Partner came back home, with the power cuts almost 24/7 -- and then Dengue since w/o power no one can turn on the fans that keep mosquitos away, and without fuel, fly the planes to spray against the mosquitos, which operations have been religiously carried out in regular rotation since very early in the Fidel regime.  

At this time of today, both Venezuela and Mexican fire fighting teams and equipment are there, with the focus on cooling the other storage facilities, preventing them from blowing and going up in flames as well.  They've been able to deploy foam into the ongoing fires, but are afraid a line of massive thunderstorms are rolling in.  The rain will push all that toxic smoke content into the ground, toxic then all over the island.  Not good for agriculture, much less humans and animals.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Is this a joint alt written by Jace and edited by Solo?

Larry of the Lake -- don't know Jace, but Sologdin is my most favorite communist and I consider him a dear friend. You'd be surprised how often I've been accused of being someone's alt, but my massive ego wouldn't allow that. It caused an emotional scandal for a bit at one point, which I was sad to see; some kind of confusion over an IP address. No, Wade is my actual name, and 1865 represents one of the many wars I fought in a previous life.

I've been on this uniquely amazing board since 2004 or 2005, most active during college, and popping in every five years or so during R&R breaks while spreading the glory and light of America.

30 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

I've been on this uniquely amazing board since 2004 or 2005, most active during college, and popping in every five years or so during R&R breaks while spreading the glory and light of America.

Is there a process to request an extension of the R&R break for the rest of us?

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Somehow re investment in Cuba failure has edited out the US prohibition for anyone to do so, and not only USians but anyone in any country who wants to do business or have business in the US.

It's a bit more complicated than that depending on how things are structured.

The Barcelo Group of Spain runs two of the resorts in Cuba and also happens to be 100% owner of the American hotel management company Crestline Hotels & Resorts that runs dozens of hotels in the US.

La Ritual de Possession of Gustavo Petro, new president of Colombia.

Live: Follow all the details of the President’s investment

https://popnews247.com/possession-of-gustavo-petro-live-follow-all-the-details-of-the-presidents-investment/

.... Indigenous and black people in Colombia give symbolic command to leftist Petro
Colombia’s indigenous people, Afros, Gypsies and farmers handed over the presidency to leftist Gustavo Petro in a symbolic ceremony in Bogota on the eve of his official inauguration on August 7.

“I receive this popular and spiritual mandate with great emotion,” the 62-year-old former senator and former guerrilla fighter said after participating in an ancestral ritual in a Central Park in the capital. ....

Here is the new president, a few days ago with Arawak leaders from the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta receiving the staffs of leadership for a kind of spiritual swearing in -- de la ceremonia de posesión simbólica. Unheard of for Colombia.

This may or may not end up actually being an international event, but there was just an (attempted?) assassination of Salman Rushdie on-stage at a lecture hall in Western NY.

No other information available yet. But the Iranian fatwa (and accompanying bounty) is still active against him and it was a few days ago that DOJ arrested an Iranian Republican Guard officer for trying to arrange the assassination of John Bolton and Mike Pompeo. Maybe a coincidence, but that's some timing considering Rushdie hasn't been in the news in years.

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

This may or may not end up actually being an international event, but there was just an (attempted?) assassination of Salman Rushdie on-stage at a lecture hall in Western NY.

No other information available yet. But the Iranian fatwa (and accompanying bounty) is still active against him and it was a few days ago that DOJ arrested an Iranian Republican Guard officer for trying to arrange the assassination of John Bolton and Mike Pompeo. Maybe a coincidence, but that's some timing considering Rushdie hasn't been in the news in years.

Here’s the AP tweet.  It seems he was rushed and stabbed while he was on stage:

11 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Quichotte was the last time I saw something about him on the news

He's regularly been a participant, goh, etc. at literary events all around the US.  But fiction and those who write literature are so not events for the so-called news industry these days -- unlike the high days of the Norman Mailer and previous generations of authors.

It takes an attempted murder to put authors in the news these days, I guess.

Archived