Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

I had the TNG Officer's Manual shown at 8:36, and the Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator game.. oh, and the Star Trek IV Sourcebook Update. Did try to play the game once or twice with my brother or friends, but lets just say its complexities were a bit beyond us at the time.

I completed my rewatch of The Animated Series, which means that I have conclusively seen every single episode of Star Trek ever made. I'd previously seen most of them but there were definitely gaps in the TOS and TAS lineup; the BBC and ITV banned episodes of TOS which were not seen in the UK until it went on Sky TV in the 1990s (like Miri and And the Children Shall Lead), which I never had access to, and I only saw maybe half of TAS because some of it was released on VHS rental in the late 1980s, but not the whole show.

Reasonable achievement, given my Trek journey began with my parents showing me The Wrath of Khan (the uncut version!) when I was about 4 years old.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I completed my rewatch of The Animated Series, which means that I have conclusively seen every single episode of Star Trek ever made. I'd previously seen most of them but there were definitely gaps in the TOS and TAS lineup; the BBC and ITV banned episodes of TOS which were not seen in the UK until it went on Sky TV in the 1990s (like Miri and And the Children Shall Lead), which I never had access to, and I only saw maybe half of TAS because some of it was released on VHS rental in the late 1980s, but not the whole show.

Reasonable achievement, given my Trek journey began with my parents showing me The Wrath of Khan (the uncut version!) when I was about 4 years old.

Don't forget that even in the 1990s there was also one episode of TNG (The High Ground) that was banned in the UK for including the 2024 re-unification of Ireland as an example of when terrorism works.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Completionism aside, is this worth watching? 

Yesteryear is solid for providing backstory for Spock, and The Counter-Clock Incident is good for getting to meet Robert April, the first captain of the EnterpriseBem is also amusing for Kirk just completely losing his shit when they get captured by primitive aliens ruled by a godlike alien and asking, "Why the hell does this stuff keep happening to us? Just why?" That was writer David Gerrold's joke because Roddenberry had told him to rewrite the script to insert bullshit Trek tropes into it for no reason (i.e. a godlike alien being that's just a floating optical effect but can magically stop all of the Federation's technology from working).

Some of the other episodes are pretty good as well. The main problem is that they could only afford music for one episode, so every single episode uses the same three pieces of music that will drive you up the wall after a while. And the animation budget was clearly almost non-existent, so they cheap out in the most spectacular ways sometimes (long-shots of characters running but the figures are all just black silhouettes; Spock appears in the exact same pose 5 times an episode with just the background changed).

One thing that was really good was they gave Uhura a lot more to do, and she even commands the Enterprise in two episodes, and saves the day in one of those. The new alien crewmembers, Arex and M'Ress, are also pretty interesting, even if they don't get much development.

Just started watching Discovery.

Since it's the dubbed version and I do not have the benefit of the actual voices, I was sorta confused how they got Martin Freeman only to realize, it's Anthony Rapp. Is it just me, or do they look kinda similar (on-screen at least).

40 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Lol Star Trek Prodigy referenced salamander Janeway... :lol:

Lower Decks did too, IIRC. The animated shows go full "Treshhold" (but in a fun way)!

@Werthead: any significance for the renewal of ST shows in the recently announced merger between Showtime and Paramount+?

3 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Lower Decks did too, IIRC. The animated shows go full "Treshhold" (but in a fun way)!

@Werthead: any significance for the renewal of ST shows in the recently announced merger between Showtime and Paramount+?

Star Trek continues to drive a lot of people to Paramount+, so I think they're probably all fine for the time being, apart from Picard which is ending anyway and possibly Discovery, which is closer to the end of its lifespan than the start even if it goes seven seasons.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

Lol Star Trek Prodigy referenced salamander Janeway... :lol:

First step in them revisiting hers and Tom's children in season 2.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

First step in them revisiting hers and Tom's children in season 2.

If they ever do a Voyager movie their resentful abandoned salamander children should be the bad guys. 

Just now, RumHam said:

If they ever do a Voyager movie their resentful abandoned salamander children should be the bad guys. 

Not sure about them being villains - more like super intelligent salamander kids basically knowing everything about their parents and their deep feelings for each other would be enough. Weirdo misguided Star Trek villains who could have gotten around to stop their ridiculous actions if they had thought for five seconds or tried to talk to the other side for half an hour we have more than enough.

This is pretty cool. Someone remade the opening to Star Trek: Starfleet Academy in modern 3D. Unfortunately they couldn't up-res the footage of Shatner and Takei from the same scene so they're just conveniently offscreen.

Nice trivia point: Starfleet Academy was released in 1997 so marks the final appearances to date of Shatner, Koenig and Takei playing Kirk, Chekov and Sulu (Shatner and Koenig otherwise last appearing in 1994's Generations and Takei in 1996's Voyager episode Flashback).

This is also a clever idea. Someone did an Animated Series-style dramatisation of the 25th Anniversary video game. What's cool about that is that the video game used the voices of all the original cast, but not a lot of people have seen it before. You can hear that the voice actors are older than they should be for the TAS-era setting.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, sifth said:

I've actually been hearing some positive early reviews for Star Trek Picard season 3. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

Or not. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put myself through another season of potential pain.

6 hours ago, Durckad said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Or not. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put myself through another season of potential pain.

Trust me, I feel the same way. The first two seasons were painfully bad. All I can do, is hope for the best.

Archived