Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

On 11/1/2023 at 9:36 AM, Fragile Bird said:

It answers some questions but not all. Have you read the DNA report? I can’t get into it. Wouldn’t it name a tribe, they have millions of DNA samples from North America, I assume it would do that.

No, it probably would NOT name a tribe, especially if it was primarily located in what is now the United States. Native Americans in the United States have been very wary of having their DNA analyzed, precisely because they do NOT want the government to start telling them who is and is not "really" Native American based on some arbitrary % of ancestry. 

For some reason indigenous people in Canada and Mexico don't have as much fear about that as those in the United States. Because of that, a lot of the knowledge we have about the DNA history of Native Americans comes from Canada and Mexico. That leads the programs that give people ethnic %'s from the various family tree DNA companies to end up telling a lot of people in the USA who have a little Native American ancestry that they have ancestry from Canada or Mexico when that is not the case. I was quite surprised when my DNA was tested to find out my mitochondrial DNA is Native American. Some of the profiles I've gotten trace that to Mexico, but I know that's not correct as my all-female line goes back to the Hudson River Valley in New York, and my Native ancestry is almost surely from a Northeastern US group, most likely Munsee or Lenape. 

• 2 weeks later...

Small thing, but for the first time the media seems to be actually pushing back Poilievre's lies, and the right is predictably melting down.

Quick timeline:

On Wednesday at ~2:20 PM EST Poilievre asks for an update in the HoC referring to the accident on the Rainbow bridge saying "We've just heard media reports of a terrorist attack, an explosion, at the Niagara crossing of the Canada-U.S. border"

The next day at a press conference a journalist asks if jumping to a terrorist attack is responsible, and after spending some time attacking the journalist reiterates that there we're media reports, specifically highlighting CTV and a tweet they made. One small problem, the tweet and the article the tweet links to came out *after* his remarks in the house, happening at 2:50 PM EST and 2:39 PM EST respectively. But also, during the press conference he twists the narrative saying the CTV report said the government is operating on the assumption that the incident was a terrorist attack, which it did, but is pretty significantly different that reporting that it is a terrorist attack which is what he said in the HoC, and which he says a couple more times later during the press conference.

Some have tried to defend this deflection by pointing to a slightly earlier CTV article that also made the point about operating on the assumption of a terrorist attack, but again that's different from actually reporting a terrorist attack and couldn't be what he was referring to in the press conference anyway as there was no tweet associated with it. And also that the investigation will initially be operating under the assumption of a terrorist attack shouldn't be something someone who's been in Parliament for 19 fucking years needs the media to tell him.

Anyway, ultimately this isn't a huge deal, and would be a total non issue if the man was capable of just not shifting blame and trying to attack people. But it's nice to see the media not ignore his bullshit for a change. Also I listened to his press conference a couple times to make sure I had the details correct and wanted to talk about this somewhere after having to listen to the smug dickhead.

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Small thing, but for the first time the media seems to be actually pushing back Poilievre's lies, and the right is predictably melting down.

Quick timeline:

On Wednesday at ~2:20 PM EST Poilievre asks for an update in the HoC referring to the accident on the Rainbow bridge saying "We've just heard media reports of a terrorist attack, an explosion, at the Niagara crossing of the Canada-U.S. border"

The next day at a press conference a journalist asks if jumping to a terrorist attack is responsible, and after spending some time attacking the journalist reiterates that there we're media reports, specifically highlighting CTV and a tweet they made. One small problem, the tweet and the article the tweet links to came out *after* his remarks in the house, happening at 2:50 PM EST and 2:39 PM EST respectively. But also, during the press conference he twists the narrative saying the CTV report said the government is operating on the assumption that the incident was a terrorist attack, which it did, but is pretty significantly different that reporting that it is a terrorist attack which is what he said in the HoC, and which he says a couple more times later during the press conference.

Some have tried to defend this deflection by pointing to a slightly earlier CTV article that also made the point about operating on the assumption of a terrorist attack, but again that's different from actually reporting a terrorist attack and couldn't be what he was referring to in the press conference anyway as there was no tweet associated with it. And also that the investigation will initially be operating under the assumption of a terrorist attack shouldn't be something someone who's been in Parliament for 19 fucking years needs the media to tell him.

Anyway, ultimately this isn't a huge deal, and would be a total non issue if the man was capable of just not shifting blame and trying to attack people. But it's nice to see the media not ignore his bullshit for a change. Also I listened to his press conference a couple times to make sure I had the details correct and wanted to talk about this somewhere after having to listen to the smug dickhead.

I appreciate this in depth analysis, but I just can't abide Poilievre. 

His voice annoys me, and when i see him as well as hear him, I want to slap the face off his fucking head.

late edit, i was busy :p

Edited by JGP

11 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Quick timeline:

Everything about Poilevre irritates me also. He comes across as a professional naysayer with no ideas of his own. I have always suspected his alias  is Pierre Poutine. If he can't win he cheats.

Pierre Pollievere pretends he is some cool outsider coming to drain the swamp, with criticism for all the problems, with little plans of his own. The fucker is a career politician, and certainly no outsider.

He also has the most punchable face in the business. Trudeau should run on a platform of punching him on the floor of the house of commons before stepping down.

Fortunately for PP, leftists are far better at threatening violence, than actually applying it.  "Want to slap his face off, want to hit his punchable face".  I doubt either of you have ever even been in an actual fight.  Stay in your lane, and resume threatening politicians you dislike in a more realistic manner.  

You got me, huckleberry. Ain’t never been in dozens of fights since I got out of high school. 

Your do have a point though: Skippy would get a pass because there’s no insult in the world that would make that frog throated goof swing first. ;)

Hah ha, Haha.

Edited by JGP

On 12/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, SerHaHa said:

Fortunately for PP, leftists are far better at threatening violence, than actually applying it.  "Want to slap his face off, want to hit his punchable face".  I doubt either of you have ever even been in an actual fight.  Stay in your lane, and resume threatening politicians you dislike in a more realistic manner.  

Sure thing bro - you found me out!

What will I ever do now that I know you have a low opinion of me?

I'm crushed.

A story just popped up on my news headlines saying Quebec entrepreneur Daniel Langlois and his partner were found dead in their burned out vehicle on the island of Dominica, where they owned a luxury eco-hotel.

Langlois’ company Softimage created the 3-D animation software used in films like Jurassic Park, Titanic, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. He sold his company to Microsoft for $130M in 1994, and created a charitable foundation to support artistic, scientific and technological research.

Police in Dominica say they’ve taken in three people for questioning.

Sounds like Ford is about to backtrack on the dissolution of Peel region after costs for it is said would lead to a massive rise in taxes in each of the 3 cities, Caldeon, Brampton and Mississauga, according to the independent assessment report done for the transition board.  Brampton ~ 34%, Caledon ~ 256%.

Former Mississauga Mayor, current Ontario Liberal leader Bonnie Crombie might be denied her legacy.

The Ontario government and a transition board it has appointed to oversee the breakup of Peel Region are shocked by the cost of dissolution and the fact that it may cause massive tax increases in all three municipalities, a source with direct knowledge of the discussions has told CBC News.

The Toronto Star reported on Tuesday that its sources say Premier Doug Ford is poised to cancel his plan to dissolve the region. Dissolution would allow Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon to go their separate ways.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-government-transition-board-peel-dissolution-cost-tax-increases-1.7049940

Edited by SpaceChampion

The whole idea behind regional municipalities was to create savings by providing services to a larger, unified area. Iirc, it was the Conservatives that did this, and many municipalities kicked and screamed as they were forcibly dragged into unified regions. But at this point in time I think you’re in a “why fix what isn’t broken” situation. Of course there’s going to be a huge bill to pay if you now break up those unified services.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:20 PM, Fragile Bird said:

A story just popped up on my news headlines saying Quebec entrepreneur Daniel Langlois and his partner were found dead in their burned out vehicle on the island of Dominica, where they owned a luxury eco-hotel.

Langlois’ company Softimage created the 3-D animation software used in films like Jurassic Park, Titanic, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. He sold his company to Microsoft for $130M in 1994, and created a charitable foundation to support artistic, scientific and technological research.

Police in Dominica say they’ve taken in three people for questioning.

Remember this story? Police have made two arrests. I was expecting some criminal gang was trying to shake the man down for money but, no, his American neighbours killed him. Langlois  built his eco lodge and the guy said the road crossed his property and tried to stop the lodge from being built by digging a trench in it and filling it with boulders. Langlois got a permanent injunction, the court saying the public road had to be opened up when the lodge was being built.

Jonathan Lehrer and Robert Thomas Snider were charged today with the murders of Langlois and his partner Dominique Marchand. Such an American solution, lose in court, kill the other guy. Being a bit snide there, I admit, but it’s not exactly a common dispute resolution method here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/peel-region-paul-calandra-1.7057628

The province is scrapping its plans to dissolve Peel Region, with Premier Doug Ford's government backpedaling on the move less than a year after it was announced.

Minister of Housing and Municipal Affairs Paul Calandra made the announcement Wednesday, saying that the government will introduce new legislation in 2024 that would "recalibrate the mandate of the Peel Region Transition Board" to instead focus on improving regional services like policing, paramedics and public health, instead of splitting things up.

"While we originally thought that the best way to achieve our goals of better services and lower taxes was through dissolution, we've since heard loud and clear from municipal leaders and stakeholders that full dissolution would lead to significant tax hikes and disruption to critical services the people of Peel Region depend on," Calandra said in a statement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see a court has decided the use of the Emergencies statute to clear Ottawa after their police force turned out to be so inept was not justified. I guess not enough hot tubs were brought in, and not enough people pissed on the war memorial, not enough lives were disrupted, not enough violas threatened, and the government wasn’t humiliated enough.

The feds are appealing.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see a court has decided the use of the Emergencies statute to clear Ottawa after their police force turned out to be so inept was not justified. I guess not enough hot tubs were brought in, and not enough people pissed on the war memorial, not enough lives were disrupted, not enough violas threatened, and the government wasn’t humiliated enough.

The feds are appealing.

I'm pro trucker.  I think you're pro Trudeau but can't tell for sure.  I'm agnostic about rooting for the Leafs, but objectively it looks like they still mostly suck right?