DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Funnily I saw the last 10 minutes of the Lynch version last night. Wow that is a terrible ending.

Are you talking about the rain?

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

Are you talking about the rain?

Yeah the whole thing is just really badly done. I have a soft spot for the Lynch version because it’s so lavish but there are just some terrible moments.

Also want to say that I love the use of accents of people and pointing it out. Stilgar and Chani is one, feyd and Vladimir another. Just a nice, thoughtful little touch.

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ya it was a hard PG13 as it should be, almost wish he’d release an extended R cut on streaming someday but he’s against extended versions. 

I joked before about a director's cut of part 1 that had realistic arterial spray; especially the scene where Paul and Jessica kill the Harkonnens in the ornithopter. They'd be covered in it. 

Regarding part 2, I'm trying to think of another PG-13 film that had that much blood in it and drawing a blank TBH. And the close up of one particular stab wound and character death; I think the MPAA is grading on a curve. Just don't show titties. 

Blade Runner 2049 also had some stuff that was pushing the envelope as I recall. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Also want to say that I love the use of accents of people and pointing it out. Stilgar and Chani is one, feyd and Vladimir another. Just a nice, thoughtful little touch.

My one criticism would be Chani’s accent. It was mentioned ‘oh Stilgar is from the south’, but it still was quite odd that she had this generic US accent when almost all other Fremen are doing some form of North African accent.

16 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also this movie beats the fuck out of the last 5 Star Wars movies and tv shows.

It’s also so immersive, you can see the difference between shooting with The Volume and an actual desert and the actors actually being there so clearly. I hope Netflix in particular learns from this,comparing this to that Avatar Show….

Not “Andor”.

15 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Quick question but was the nukes subplot a movie addition? I don’t remember it being in the books and i felt it stood apart from the rest of the narrative a bit although I understand the ultimate logic of it being there, to give the final battle more sense rather than just making the Fremen OP all the time.

Spoiler

In the books Paul uses the “Family Atomics” to blast a hole in the Sheild wall allowing worms to attack Arakeen.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yes they are, but the movie does just throw them in without much setup. As the book explains everyone has nukes, but also why no one uses them.

Hide contents

Paul threatening to use nukes against the spice fields is what causes the emperor and the great houses to get angry, while Paul using them just against the mountain and not directly against the emperor's troops is him being near the breaking of rules on use of atomics, but not quite crossing the line.

Hide contents

Another adaptation that shafts Thufir Hawat. Ah well. Part 1 didn't do much in explaining the nobility's use of mentats, so his absence in this one is understandable.

Spoiler

No.  Paul doesn’t threaten to use nukes on the spice fields.  They are to vast for that to work.  He threatens to disrupt the lifecycle of the Sandworms killing them all off and destroying the ability for any further spice to grow on Arrakis.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not “Andor”.

It's interesting you mention Andor. Villeneuve in a recent interview explained how he prefers to emphasize cinema as a visual experience. And he is one of the very best at that. I find the two Dune movies seem so reminiscent of 2001 (not in a hard science sort of way, but emphasizing the scale and capabilities of cinema). There were so many visually powerful sequences in Dune.

While Andor had some good visuals and a great general aesthetic, for me that show was more about the dialogue, which was absolutely exemplary.

To me they both assume a tier of top quality entertainment but are really hard to compare since their achievements are so different to each other.

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

IMAX tmrw. The original sequel books were inconsistent but still good overall. Then came the son's climax, ugh. I hope this series stops at God emperor or thereabouts.

There are only six books in the Dune series.  Only Frank Herbert wrote Dune.  All else is crappy fanfiction.

(Paul runs away from home to join the “Space Circus”… I wish I was kidding…)

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

53 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not “Andor”.

There was bait in Rodrigo's statement, you shouldn't have taken it. :D

48 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

No.  Paul doesn’t threaten to use nukes on the spice fields.  They are to vast for that to work.  He threatens to disrupt the lifecycle of the Sandworms killing them all off and destroying the ability for any further spice to grow on Arrakis.

I couldn't quite remember that, thanks. The movie simplified it, especially since they didn't actually reveal that part.

41 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Guys I just realised, Denis totally stole this scene For Dune ! What a hack ! 

My brain went to the same place when I saw that scene. That's not a dig. At. All.

The scene where Rabban leaves Arrakine with Harkonnen troops in their 'thopters to blast that atol also has some serious Apocalypse Now vibes.  

Are we no longer doing spoiler tags? Will everyone be sufficiently indoctrinated by tomorrow morning?

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My brain went to the same place when I saw that scene. That's not a dig. At. All.

The scene where Rabban leaves Arrakine with Harkonnen troops in their 'thopters to blast that atol also has some serious Apocalypse Now vibes.  

Are we no longer doing spoiler tags? Will everyone be sufficiently indoctrinated by tomorrow morning?

Yeah it’s too cumbersome, also 99% of the people on this forum have probably read the book anyways :P tags for the main watching thread makes sense but here it should be spoiler discussion. 

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The difference is Andor is boring and this was not :) Did you watch the movie yet btw ? 

Nah, this difference does not exist.

39 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yeah it’s too cumbersome, also 99% of the people on this forum have probably read the book anyways :P tags for the main watching thread makes sense but here it should be spoiler discussion. 

Well I disagree. This movie is a time commitment and not everyone would have been able to watch it right away.

16 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I hope this series stops at God emperor or thereabouts.

Watched 2.

Rephrasing, let's stop here. The excessive deviation from the books leaves no other outcome since character motivations are too different or unexplained now. Other than maybe taking it forward another way. 

Edited by TheLastWolf