Willow TV Series

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Never seen the movie. Is it for kiddies?

ETA: It's not that one with the horse in the quicksand, is it?

No, it's not that one. The movie had Warwick Davis as the protagonist, also Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley. Davis and Whalley have returned for the series, but there are a bunch of young actors in it. 

Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I intend to -- the first trailer really impressed me and made me hopeful, the second rather a lot less so because the featured dialog felt CW-level, but happy to give it a shot. 

The "horse in the quicksand"... that's The Neverending Story, and it was the Swamps of Sadness, not quicksand!

Willow was one of my favorite movies growing up, so I'm looking forward to this. I never got around to reading the novels about Elora growing up into a spoiled princess, so I'm glad to continue the story with Warrick back in the role.

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

The "horse in the quicksand"... that's The Neverending Story, and it was the Swamps of Sadness, not quicksand!

At least it wasn't Lightning Sand from the Fire Swamp! The ROUS's would've eaten the horse.

11 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Willow was one of my favorite movies growing up, so I'm looking forward to this. I never got around to reading the novels about Elora growing up into a spoiled princess, so I'm glad to continue the story with Warrick back in the role.

Not to spoil too much, but based on the 1st episode those novels are not canon.

I feel like I'm getting gaslighted into believing the original Willow was a good movie! I could tell it wasn't good even as an 8 year old, but then I think I'd seen pretty much all the fantasy movies going at that point. Warwick Davis and Kilmer were fun but come on.. it's not a classic. 

So I am less than optimistic about this, general rule being this is probably half as good as the original.

41 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I feel like I'm getting gaslighted into believing the original Willow was a good movie! I could tell it wasn't good even as an 8 year old, but then I think I'd seen pretty much all the fantasy movies going at that point. Warwick Davis and Kilmer were fun but come on.. it's not a classic. 

So I am less than optimistic about this, general rule being this is probably half as good as the original.

I watched the movie in its entirety for the first time not that long ago. I agree that it's not the best of the 80s fantasy movies, but for a kids movie it's still ok. I think it developed a sort of cult classis status over the years.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

1980s fantasy movies really liked quicksand and swamps. Neverending StoryLabyrinth and Krull all made liberal use of them.

I will constantly regret that how to deal with quicksand as a threat to my personal safety was incredibly overemphasized by the media 

I loved Willow as a kid so I'm definitely going to watch this. Disney are pretty shamelessly cashing in on the nostalgia of people in my age bracket and I recognise that they're doing it but it's not enough to stop me buying into it anyway.

Having said that I didn't love the first episode. It does have a bit of a CWish feel to it. Which is a bit of a strange choice given I'd guess most of the people who're going to watch this are people in their 30s and 40s who remember the film from when they were young. Hopefully it gets better. :dunno:

Archived