US politics: When DeSantis go marching in

IheartIheartTesla

On 12/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, Zorral said:

It's not only contraception and LGBTQ people They are determined to kill.

After Roe, conservatives set their sights on ending no-fault divorce laws

https://www.mediamatters.org/tim-pool/after-roe-conservatives-set-their-sights-ending-no-fault-divorce-laws

And they have plenty of other targets in mind too. I'm just glad my divorce should be finalized sometime next month.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

He made over $400 million on these things? He's gathered a loyal following of utter fools, and they have been departed from their money in such easy fashion. It probably helped Trump that the universal reaction from anyone to the left of Mitt Romney was derision and laughter. The MAGAsts would have wanted to own the libs by ensuring the trading cards were a great success.

Nah. I don’t think there were that many. 

$4.5 million is how much he made. Not the number of cards sold. 

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure, but NFTs are basically the equivalent of taping a banana to a wall, calling it art and charging a shit ton of money for it (and getting it to boot). It's one of the laziest scams imaginable. 

I think that isn’t quite fair.  I’ve seen some gorgeous, super interesting art created using a blockchain process.  I know someone who is a reasonably serious collector, and he likens it to print making.  What I’ve seen was neither the result of a lazy artistic process nor a scam.  I don’t like all of it, and there is plenty of scammy crap out there, but saying that all NFTs are the equivalent of taping a banana on the wall and calling it art is just false.

10 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I think that isn’t quite fair.  I’ve seen some gorgeous, super interesting art created using a blockchain process.  I know someone who is a reasonably serious collector, and he likens it to print making.  What I’ve seen was neither the result of a lazy artistic process nor a scam.  I don’t like all of it, and there is plenty of scammy crap out there, but saying that all NFTs are the equivalent of taping a banana on the wall and calling it art is just false.

Respectfully… most NFTs are people taking existing images running them through blockchain and claiming they are now “collectors items”.  As such I think in most circumstances the wall banana analogy is apt… even if there are a few counter examples.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Respectfully… most NFTs are people taking existing images running them through blockchain and claiming they are now “collectors items”.  As such I think in most circumstances the wall banana analogy is apt… even if there are a few counter examples.

Respectfully, I think the better example is Jeff Koons.  Is Jeff Koons my jam?  As it turns out, no.  Is it somewhat mass produced?  You bet.  Is it art?  Absolutely.  

Compare with, for instance Lisa Frank from our childhood or maybe Beanie Babies.  Look, I’m not telling anyone art on the blockchain is a good investment.  I personally put on my walls what I like.  But saying that NFTs can’t be art?  Calling bs on that.

20 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I'm sure there are plenty of NFTs I could be shown which would make me appreciate what was created. That said, the overwhelming majority of NFTs are scams. 

Or would you like to buy an $800 NFT of Obi Toppin dunking on someone? And please ignore the same clip is on YouTube for free. 

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sorry, but in which reality do those poorly done photoshop sessions qualify as art. I know everybody is a critic and stuff, but that's not art. Maybe it is in Florida but not in any civilized place. (169).

I mean, that's exactly the point. Art is subjective so who's to say how much it's really worth? It's like this shit was made for money laundering. The only reason I don't think NFTs were deliberately created for money laundering is that I don't think the angry wow nerd that created them was that smart.

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Or they're procedurally generated garbage. That being said, any artistic merit attached is not down to the NFT, the code that makes it "digitally scarce" but down to the art itself. An NFT of the Mona Lisa would have artistic value like a print of the Mona Lisa would. But the NFT part adds nothing and only has downsides.

NFTs are not art because they're not meant to be art. They're a piece of code that can be attached to something. Including yes art. But the art is not actually the NFT.

ETA: This covers everything wrong with NFT's better than I could and may have contributed to the crash in NFT prices that happened. It's a good watch if you need to kill 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

1 minute ago, TrueMetis said:

I mean, that's exactly the point. Art is subjective so who's to say how much it's really worth? It's like this shit was made for money laundering. The only reason I don't think NFTs were deliberately created for money laundering is that I don't think the angry wow nerd that created them was that smart.

I am not talking about NFTs in general. There may or may not be pieces of art among them.

I am talking specifically about those Trump NFTs. I mean, in no reality is his head photoshopped on Chuck Norris's body from Wanker Texas Ranger art. Or the one with him in the tux. We could go down the list of the ones that were on public display. 

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am not talking about NFTs in general. There may or may not be pieces of art among them.

I am talking specifically about those Trump NFTs. I mean, in no reality is his head photoshopped on Chuck Norris's body from Wanker Texas Ranger art. Or the one with him in the tux. We could go down the list of the ones that were on public display. 

Okay, but the point I'm trying to get at is that the artistic merit of the piece doesn't actually matter. This is true of even physical art, see the earlier referenced banana taped to a wall that sold for *$120,000*. Was that art? Fuck if I know, but it allowed someone to move $120,000. Was it money laundering? Again, fuck if I know. But if you can exchange $120,000 for it than it sounds like you could move a lot of money through the art world without people questioning it all that much. And they do.

NFTs are not art; they are tokens giving someone weird rights to something. The token might be associated with something we could consider art - or it can be something like the rights to the first tweet or a meme or anything else. 

Most people are using NFTs to associate with a fairly garbage piece of random crap. It could be art, but it mostly is some piece that has prestige only if the buyers and others think it does.

29 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

NFTs are not art; they are tokens giving someone weird rights to something. The token might be associated with something we could consider art - or it can be something like the rights to the first tweet or a meme or anything else. 

Most people are using NFTs to associate with a fairly garbage piece of random crap. It could be art, but it mostly is some piece that has prestige only if the buyers and others think it does.

Yes the NFT is a storage mechanism/creates scarcity. But that is same as running a limited number of prints. If someone wants to create digital art and create scarcity they can. Look I won’t ever buy any. And I think crypto currencies (at least the exchanges) are at best ponzi schemes or tulip bubbles. And I agree that art, real estate and other luxury goods facilitate money laundering. But if an artist wants to write code to create something and sell it that way, I am all for it. Go artist. 

That's fine, but let's not say nfts are art any more than saying limited prints or collector numbering is art. The art is the piece; NFTs are just another way to make something vaguely and arbitrarily have more value. And unlike limited prints the scarcity is entirely artificial.

What I object more to is people buying NFTs not for the art but because they are NFTs. The actual art doesn't matter in the least for most people. That is a disincentive for artists. I want artists to get laid, but nfts are not currently a good solution.

48 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

That is a disincentive for artists. I want artists to get laid, but nfts are not currently a good solution.

The jokes are flying in my mind. 

Great typo, Kal lol

Archived