How is the weather out there?

LongRider

A week ago Thursday I was with my mother who was having joint replacement surgery and the area surrounding the hospital was on tornado warning twice while she was in recovery including announcements to shelter in place. Fun times! The first warning started while I was trying to find parking in a torrential downpour and my phones and car radio screeching. Very calming experience all around.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/two-tornadoes-with-wind-speeds-of-155-km-h-touched-down-in-ottawa-on-thursday-1.6480997

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I saw a report on CNN from Boston about the torrential rain they had. I assume that was the same storm @Tyria. It looked biblical!

Yeah, it was something alright! Glad it wasn't a tornado though, yikes, Kair! We get hurricanes, which is bad enough, but I can't imagine a tornado, or even a warning for one :(. Glad you and your mom are ok!

Wild thunderstorm here in Minneapolis and it's going to last for a bit. The rain is crazy when I opened the doors to look and lightening is popping off every few seconds. Weirdly there isn't much thunder. It's pretty cool to look at. 

ETA: Spoke too soon about the thunder. Now it's cracking. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Thunderstorms all yesterday.  Temps dropped from mid-80's to 69-70° in a matter of an hour or so by mid-afternoon, though the humidity remained crazy.  However, though that made for a very pleasant evening and night, by tomorrow we'll be close to 100 and over re Heat Index, while the AQI pushes into the red, throughout the weekend. Sigh.  So much we were looking forward to this weekend, with outdoor music events and the like.

Look out, East Coast.  A rip roaring T-storm just whipped through the Midwest on its way to y'all.  

And, yeah, instead of the cooling that usually results from a summer storm, tomorrow will be even more hot and humid.  :(  And my mom and sister lost their power.  Gotta go pick 'em up tomorrow.  

Looking at the US weather:

I miss the era when this kind of music was popping even if Nelly looked silly with that Band-Aid. I guess every decade's styles look stupid in retrospect until it's time for their period to become retro and back in.

29 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Does 'cooling trend' and '90's' belong in the same sentence?

Yes, when for the past thirteen days the high temp has been about 103 to 113f each day.  

Got a text alert that more severe thunderstorms on the way tonight. Possibly more on Saturday. I feel for all the people still dealing with last week's flooding, washed out roads/bridges, and cleanup. Starting to get a bit worried as the ground is so saturated that we might get some basement flooding. The neighbours on either side of us have sump pumps, which I think has saved us in the past. We have always had a perfectly dry basement, and I hope it stays that way!

We often refer to the province as North America's exhaust pipe, because the gulf stream and jet stream just poop everything our way before it moves out the ocean. Usually less severe when it gets here, but shitty.

Sweltering hot….dress weather where I live. I don’t even want to sunbathe because it’s too hot so I’m using the lightest shade in foundation and concealer still even though it’s like 103 degrees. Like a just porcelain/ivory as in the shades I use for winter

It is wiritjiribin season in Darug country in New South Wales and unusually warm.

@karaddin, if you've visited it I don't know, but the Wiseman Ferry Inn is gorgeous and has vegetarian options that makes me and the missus happy. 

And the views are ::chef's kiss::. 

But it is unusually warm for this time of year, which is concerning, as that means burran* (summer) is really gonna suck.

*There are actually six seasons in NSW. The four season European concept really doesn't suit the land and its seasonal variations.