Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

On Thursday the European football community woke up with a new pamphlet, in which ten core principle were shown, which are supposed to make Europe's favorite sport better than ever. Its "author", Bernd Reichart, has just been active in the world of sports for four months, as a CEO of A22 Sports [editorial note by Der Kicker Reichart worked in the 2000s for UFA Sports in Hamburg and Madrid], an agency which is financed by friend of Florentino Perez, President of Real Madrid, the head behind this initiative, which has been in the back of his head for years, way before the the presentation for the European Super League in 2021.

Those of us, who were close to Florentino Perez, know what his model for professional football is: It's the model of the big clubs. So what is this unbelievable guarantee for success that Mister Reichart introduced? "A Competition with several leagues with a total of 60-80 teams, which are selected on their sporting merit, without permanent members." He promises financial stability and predictability thanks to minimum of 14 European games per season, without any schedule problems, obviously. Unbelievable. Certainly remarkable.

"Don't be mislead, this is the latest attempt to hijack the European football."

But it gets better. By his principles the domestic leagues would flourish too and receive more money, thanks to that newly founded Europe League. And what's even more unbelievable, away fans would get to enjoy more exciting games, with an improved stadium experience. All of this would be possible, thanks to the new administrative model, which will be decided by the clubs.

By which clubs? Certainly, exclusively by the big clubs. The small and middle sized clubs wouldn't be able to participate, or to decide in exchange for the "pittance" of the big clubs. Don't be mislead, this is latest attempt to hijack European football by the big clubs. Over the years the big clubs have taken the different organs of European football hostage to secure more money and power for themselves.

Mr Reichart is the new face of a coup by the big clubs, which want to seize control und turn European football into a sport for the elites, and for everyone. The competition, Mr. Reichart and his friends came up with, is a coup against the European football model and it would mean the end of domestic championships, no matter what they say.

Mr. Reichart intends to teach all the European leagues a lesson.

Thus the uniform resistance by all the domestic leagues, small and big. Mr. Reichert intends to teach all the European leagues a lesson. Does he truely think, that the heads of the leagues are uninformed? The UEGA Conference League, the UEFA Euro League and the Champion's League are horizontal competition, which are built on top of the domestic championships. Clubs from every country qualify for the different levels of the European competition based on the sporting merit in their own domestic league. That creates emotions and passion among fans across the entire continent. Nobody starts in a domestic competition with any sort of guarantees.

The "open" model proposed by Mr. Reichart with the different levels of competition on the basis of sporting merits reservesthe highest league for the big clubs. There won't be a direct route into the highest tier through the domestic leagues. It is intended to transfer the vertical of the domestic leagues onto Europe. That would destroy the domestic leagues sporting wise, and economically. The result would be, that no national champion would get into the top tier of Europe's league. 

The top tier in Europe would be reserved for the really big ones. Their financial security would rest upon the sporting and financial ruin of all the domestic leagues, their clubs and big degree on the prosperity, that is being created in that enviroment. The domestic league generate around 75% of the revenues created in Football.

There are over 40 professional leagues and association in Europe, with more than 1.500 professional clubs, more than 53.000 pro footballers, more than 75.000 employees outside the sporting sector, in total they generate more than 25 bn Euros in revenues and create many jobs. Do Mr. Reichart and his friends believe, that they are the smartest, and the rest, UEFA, Domestic Leagues, Clubs and Fans, are the dumbest?

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Javier Tebas is also a knob. He keeps pretending that he's a champion of the little guy when he's just another hypocritical shithead. He forced the CVC deal down the throats of almost all LaLiga clubs because he was getting a kickback. He keeps crying about the Premier League but has fuck all to say about Peter Lim deliberately and maliciously destroying Valencia.

If I were to pick side in a fight between him and Perez (broken clock and all), I know I would not back Perez.

Sure, Klopp might get sacked, but in my mind that would be silly. He has built many good teams over the years, and has proven himself a very good manager. He's Liverpool's biggest star, I'd say.

So I'm all for him getting canned.

Klopp getting sacked would be nuts. He's not having a great season but he's undoubtedly a fantastic manager, we would not be getting a replacement on his level. Klopp deciding he's reached the end of the line at Liverpool and resigning doesn't seem completely beyond the realms of possibility though.

Every manager has a shelf life, esp. if you don't fresh up the squad every couple of years. This looks like the point in the Liverpool (playing squad) - Klopp relationship when everything has gone stale. Change the squad, or change the manager is usually the choice given at those junctures. Changing the squad is usually the more expensive course of action, with no build in guaratee for success. That's why Klopp is more likely to leave than to stay. 

Question is, what will he do post Liverpool. Probably a sabbatical. And then either retirement/punditry, or a new project. Klopp will be in a superb position. Financially, he won't have to take any job after Liverpool. So he can be very particular about the job/projects that are offered to him. If something interests him, fine. If there's nothing interest there, also fine. 

I don't see Klopp getting sacked this season and I don't see him walking out on his contract either. Liverpool will invest in midfielders in the summer window. They still have a strong squad with midfield being the only area that needs strengthening with two or three signings.

58 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If I were to pick side in a fight between him and Perez (broken clock and all), I know I would not back Perez.

I'd only pick Tebas's side if it's a fight over the super league since there's overwhelming opposition to it. For anything else, uncle Flo wipes the floor with Tebas.

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Got an almost identical translation from google in less than ten seconds. Virtually word for word. 

Told you it wasn't dead, and this time they might be smart about it. The money will always win in sports so long as the fans keep paying. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Told you it wasn't dead, and this time they might be smart about it. The money will always win in sports so long as the fans keep paying. 

It's a twitching corpse. That's about the size of it.

The super league isn't happening anytime soon. There is just far too much opposition to it from UEFA, FIFA, the ECA, Bundesliga, LaLiga, Premier League and UK government. German clubs didn't sign up the last time and wouldn't now, English clubs wouldn't dare because the UK government and PL threatened them, PSG's owners are major investors in the CL and rejected the proposal the first time and the rest are probably just adopting a 'wait-and-see' attitude. It's really only Barca, Real and Juventus pushing for it at this point.

The European Court of Justice is also almost certainly going to side with UEFA and FIFA in the super league case. The Advocate General's recommendation was that "while Super League organizers were entitled to set up an independent competition outside the UEFA and FIFA ecosystem, it cannot however, in parallel with the creation of such a competition, continue to participate in the football competitions organised by FIFA and UEFA without the prior authorization of those federations."

So UEFA and FIFA would be well within their rights to expel any club that signs up for the super league from participating in their competitions. While the Advocate General's recommendations are not binding, the full court almost always sides with their recommendations.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

So UEFA and FIFA would be well within their rights to expel any club that signs up for the super league from participating in their competitions. While the Advocate General's recommendations are not binding, the full court almost always sides with their recommendations.

Hence why LIV going after the PGA is an interesting test case for something like this. I'm curious to see what would happen if several of the top clubs went for it and were thus expelled. The PGA fought to not let the top LIV defectors compete in the majors and it appears that war is lost. 

I said they'd try this again with a much more reasonable approach and ta-da, here we are. Not saying this will work either, but do not for a second think they won't keep trying and if they can convince enough of the right people that financially this makes sense, it will happen.

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Who cares abouut PGA and LIV? Golf is not a sport anyway.

Silly take. I'd love to see what you'd look like on the 12th tee on day four of a tournament. 

ETA: And that's assuming you can play. If you're shooting above 90 each round, you might be a corpse by then.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Silly take. I'd love to see what you'd look like on the 12th tee on day four of a tournament. 

I'd probably look bored off my tits and be swinging my 5 iron at all the dumb twats chanting USA USA and 'get in the hole'. 

Excellent result Leicester. Well done. 

Toney must have had a couple of grand on himself to score the equaliser. 

Archived