The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Doesn't for those whose work day includes lunch at noon, and doesn't finish until 5 or later.  There are a whole lot of those.

They're still better off on DST than what Standard would be in the summer.  I guess for someone who works an outdoor 3pm to 11 pm shift DST would be hotter?  

Say 1 - 5 or 6 PM, not to mention starting on the street at 10 AM (this isn't including the prep indoors before hand), stopping for lunch at noon, and back on the street at 1 or 2 PM.  I rather think our mailpersons have a very good idea of what dst means for them in the hottest of the summer.  Not to mention construction etc.

BTW, people in construction have died here from heat and dehydration in the last summers.

Let us not forget climate catastrophe which intensifies heat and cold.

Edited by Zorral

Can't believe I've never noticed this before, but my right middle finger is significantly longer than my left.  Everything else seems to be mirror-image when I clasp my hands together, but there's a notable difference there.  If you're wondering why I figured this out, THIS IS HOW BORED I AM.  Literally looking at my hands clasped together.  ..I know where some of your minds are going based on the wording, but I already took care of that -- with a real live woman!

Anyway, I don't..this is weird.  I do want to document it though.  My right middle finger is significantly longer than my left.  That way, when I flick you all off you'll see it better!

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Can't believe I've never noticed this before, but my right middle finger is significantly longer than my left.  Everything else seems to be mirror-image when I clasp my hands together, but there's a notable difference there.  If you're wondering why I figured this out, THIS IS HOW BORED I AM.  Literally looking at my hands clasped together.  ..I know where some of your minds are going based on the wording, but I already took care of that -- with a real live woman!

Anyway, I don't..this is weird.  I do want to document it though.  My right middle finger is significantly longer than my left.  That way, when I flick you all off you'll see it better!

You made me look. Mine are mirror-image.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

How long are we talking, like a freaky 2 cm difference, or a couple of mm? 

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Say 1 - 5 or 6 PM, not to mention starting on the street at 10 AM (this isn't including the prep indoors before hand), stopping for lunch at noon, and back on the street at 1 or 2 PM.  I rather think our mailpersons have a very good idea of what dst means for them in the hottest of the summer.  Not to mention construction etc.

BTW, people in construction have died here from heat and dehydration in the last summers.

Let us not forget climate catastrophe which intensifies heat and cold.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you.  I'm not saying your mailperson's job isn't hot or that people don't die from heat exhaustion. I work construction, much of the time on roofs where it's 20+ degrees hotter than in the ground.

But this has nothing to do with the absolute fact  that for most outdoor jobs DST avoids more of the hottest portion of the day than if we stayed with Standard.  

11 hours ago, DMC said:

How I imagine you typing everything you post now:

https://psmag.com/social-justice/this-lemur-is-not-a-demon-but-man-that-finger-is-creepy

Little PSA: If, like me,  you've been putting off getting your booster shot, thinking it's passed you by so far, it's probably fine - think again.

Nothing life-threatening in my case at least, but lemme tell you, it is no fun. To add insult to injury, the chink in my immune system paved the way for a cold sore as well. When it rains, it pours I guess. :frown5:

2 hours ago, lacuna said:

Little PSA: If, like me,  you've been putting off getting your booster shot, thinking it's passed you by so far, it's probably fine - think again.

Nothing life-threatening in my case at least, but lemme tell you, it is no fun. To add insult to injury, the chink in my immune system paved the way for a cold sore as well. When it rains, it pours I guess. :frown5:

I hope you recover quickly!

11 hours ago, lacuna said:

Not to contradict you. But our family had it horrendous first time, and it was a relative breeze second time round. 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not to contradict you. But our family had it horrendous first time, and it was a relative breeze second time round. 

This is my first time though, and one might say it's kicking my ass up and down the garden path. So as my feverish brain (still not entirely out of the woods) was trying to formulate, I wish I'd gotten a third immunization shot more recently, as I understand that may ameliorate the symptoms.

Edited by lacuna

Just now, lacuna said:

This is my first time though, and one might say it's kicking my ass up and down the garden path. So as my feverish brain (still not entirely out of the woods) was trying to formulate, I wish I'd gotten a third booster shot more recently, as I understand that may ameliorate the symptoms.

Yeah. First time was awful. And it didn't help that we got it on time delay so it took the 4 of us 32 days from first positive (me) to last all clear (the baby). 

Might touch 60 degrees in CT tomorrow.  Playing some golf with 3 friends after a half day of work.  

We're not looking like we'll get an early April blizzard with a foot of snow, which happens every 8 years or so.  

So should be all grand weather through the end of June here.  Spring and fall in New England are as fine as anywhere IMO.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:24 AM, BigFatCoward said:

How long are we talking, like a freaky 2 cm difference, or a couple of mm? 

I'd guesstimate about 6 to 8 millimeters.  So, much closer to the latter.  Can't really tell without asking someone else to measure and, well, I don't want to do that.

I suspect it's not natural but rather because of playing basketball as a youth, one way or another.  I sprained a lot of fingers and just put a splint on it, so I think that may have fucked things up in terms of bone growth.