The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

i have never heard that expression in my life.  Google makes me think it might be the weirdest thing i've ever heard. 

It's a fairly common practice.  I do it because I refuse to lower the quality of my tests but I still don't want to fail a bunch of community college students that are unprepared due to the iniquity of the educational system.

All this coronation crap (and the jubilee last year) reminded me I never got my 2012 Jubilee medal, so chased it up this morning. When I went to pick it up 10’years ago was told it was missing from the safe, and I was dealing with a terminally ill relative and a chronic condition at the time so never pursued it.

Thought they’d tell me I had 10 years to chase this up and to fuck off, but to my surprise got an email back saying they still had a couple kicking around and would send me one!

So yay!

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Chuck it on ebay. Genuine medals are going for about £250.

I saw that when I was googling it…

I’ll keep it, something to pass down to my daughter besides a metal General Lee Dukes of Hazzard car I got for Christmas in 1983

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

On 5/3/2023 at 4:58 AM, BigFatCoward said:

i have never heard that expression in my life.  Google makes me think it might be the weirdest thing i've ever heard. 

Grading on a curve?

That's the fuller phrase.  Ideally it's a way to adjust for test difficulty bias.  In practice, it's probably a way to pass through the least incompetent of the bunch, even if you wouldn't want any of the lot operating on your own heart.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Some twat is vaping on the train as its nearly empty. Can I he bothered arguing with him on my way home off nights? 

Not worth it. And even if you think you have the clear advantage if a fight happened, what's it really over? Some shit is better to let slide. Or if you feel you have to just tell him you're with the Met and you better not catch him doing it again. Unless of course you're just looking to fuck with him.

Edited by Tywin et al.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Some twat is vaping on the train as its nearly empty. Can I he bothered arguing with him on my way home off nights? 

No good decisions are made post nights.

Starting radiation therapy today, can’t wait to have two heads and go on a vacation when the 4 weeks are up. This is also an excuse for me to have breakfast and coffee at an artisan bakery every. single. day. for 4 weeks because I deserve a reward system. And I also deserve new athleisure clothing items because who wants to commute to radiation therapy early in the morning dressed ugly OR uncomfortable? It’s only the simplest yet purest logic. 

On 5/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, DMC said:

It's a fairly common practice.  I do it because I refuse to lower the quality of my tests but I still don't want to fail a bunch of community college students that are unprepared due to the iniquity of the educational system.

I had been telling my mother to do this for 20 years because if she flunks them she’s only making extra work for herself. Not sure if it was age or lockdown that softened her eventually, but she curves tests now too. And I learned a new expression. 

Zuckerberg gets into odd stuff (there was the whole thing of raising, killing, and butchering his own meat), but he seems to have a singular focus when he decides to do something.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Zuck is playing at being a Martial Artist.

Mark Zuckerberg wins gold and silver in his first Jiu-Jitsu tournament

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/09/business/mark-zuckerberg-jiu-jitsu-winner

I feel like Tom Hardy should put a beat down on him.:D

I hope it ends like the friends storyline where Monica's rich boyfriend Pete Becker/Jon Favreau gets a proper hiding. 

Good grief! I took a small, short sleeved blouse to the cleaners -- $12.00!  Partner's long-sleeved shirts, collars, cuffs, etc. cost between $3 - $4 at the same place.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Good grief! I took a small, short sleeved blouse to the cleaners -- $12.00!  Partner's long-sleeved shirts, collars, cuffs, etc. cost between $3 - $4 at the same place.

That always pisses me off. They do it here too. “Oh, women’s shirts are more complicated to press!”

18 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope it ends like the friends storyline where Monica's rich boyfriend Pete Becker/Jon Favreau gets a proper hiding. 

Hey now, that may have been the end of the storyline but we don't know whether or not Pete improved after Monica broke up with him.