The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

The NY tri state area smoke haze is CRAZY.  I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't smelling and seeing it.  #apocalypseiscoming

Believe it, seen smoke like this for the past 10-15 years or so from fires in California.  Smoke can travel a long, long way.  Sucks!

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Believe it, seen smoke like this for the past 10-15 years or so from fires in California.  Smoke can travel a long, long way.  Sucks!

I honestly thought it was a local fire at first, because the smoke is so thick and the smell is very pungent.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

We've had this smoke -- at least the toxic particulate -- sent here from CA and the West Coast for years.  We just didn't see it or smell it.

That doesn’t surprise me.  The amount of acreage consumed by wildfires in California is huge. 
Last wildfire season was mostly Oregon and Washington.  

Good grief, if Cali, Oregon, Washington and fires from Canada were to happen all at once?

Don’t even wanna think about it.

One of my supervisees is quitting. I heard that the main reason is because she asked for a Friday off in order to have a 3-day weekday to celebrate her birthday and was refused. Not only was the reason ridiculous but also she tried to skip on the day when we all had to judge our annual speech contest. So entitled, good riddance.

1 hour ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I heard that the main reason is because she asked for a Friday off in order to have a 3-day weekday to celebrate her birthday and was refused.

Was her birthday on that Friday?  As someone that had to teach on his birthday last month, while I think it'd be unprofessional to ask for the day off, I wouldn't describe it as a ridiculous request.  Of course, working in academia my entire adult life, and my birthday being May 15, this was literally the first time I've had to work/teach on my birthday.  Usually it's in between the Spring and Summer terms.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Was her birthday on that Friday?  As someone that had to teach on his birthday last month, while I think it'd be unprofessional to ask for the day off, I wouldn't describe it as a ridiculous request.  Of course, working in academia my entire adult life, and my birthday being May 15, this was literally the first time I've had to work/teach on my birthday.  Usually it's in between the Spring and Summer terms.

How is it unprofessional?

If you have the PTO hours, you can ask for whatever time off you want. 

Edit: Asking the day before? That’s unprofessional. 

2 weeks+? Should never be a problem. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

If you have the PTO hours, you can ask for whatever time off you want. 

Well, sure.  I was kinda assuming this would be if you don't.  Plus I was kinda just riffing - in my case there's no personal time off for teaching classes.

@DMC  @A True Kaniggit   At my school, teachers are allowed PTO hours but only a few hours per day to go to the bank, tax office, etc.  We have to explain where we are going, and we can’t miss any of our lessons.  We aren't allowed to just take an extra vacation day.  Also, if you can’t teach your lessons, your coworkers have to supervise your students instead having prep time for themselves.  We don’t have a list of substitute teachers that can be called.  The admin at my school thought it was a ridiculous request.  Personally, I agree, but I can understand how others might not.

Apologize if I've raised this before, but I always feel a bit disrespectful if I'm a fast food sort of place where you throw your own garbage out and I still have a lot of ice in my drink.

Pretty sure that means that when the staff comes to empty the trash, they're getting extra liquid in their trash bag.  

Apart from taking less ice in the self service beverage kiosks, what's the best way to handle this?  Ideally the trash would have a drain nearby for ice and liquid but I've never seen that.  Maybe it's not actually an issue but it bothers me.

14 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

At my school, teachers are allowed PTO hours but only a few hours per day to go to the bank, tax office, etc.  We have to explain where we are going, and we can’t miss any of our lessons.  We aren't allowed to just take an extra vacation day.  Also, if you can’t teach your lessons, your coworkers have to supervise your students instead having prep time for themselves.

This all sounds terrible and something I'd never agree to.  But to each their own.

9 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

One of my supervisees is quitting. I heard that the main reason is because she asked for a Friday off in order to have a 3-day weekday to celebrate her birthday and was refused. Not only was the reason ridiculous but also she tried to skip on the day when we all had to judge our annual speech contest. So entitled, good riddance.

:leaving: I know a school environment is different from corporate, but I would 100% take one day, especially a Friday off with one day notice, and not give a reason. I would also resign on the spot if anybody ever denied my request for taking a paid holiday day. Then again, this is the common practice in my field, and wouldn’t be out of the norm for any company I would be willing to work for. My job can also totally wait one day and doesn’t need substitution and I’m workaholic enough that I would (re)arrange my work in way that the day off doesn’t negatively impact it. But I can see that this would be problematic if the person didn’t consider the requirements for the business to run as usual in her absence or if it’s  contrary to the norms of the workplace (though I agree with DMC that they sound awful and I wouldn’t sign up for them :D :leaving: ) .  /entitled millennial opinion

I’m so hungry. Trying to do a reflux relief diet, I don’t know how people are vegans and vegetarians, I need to eat every two hours and I’m still hangry all day. Boy I want some Shepards pie or lasagne or something with nutritional value :bawl: 

I also work in education (in this case higher education) and my contract says I cannot be refused leave if I ask for it in vacations, but I have to ask my line manager for permission to take leave in term-time and it may not be granted.  I would certainly not expect to take a day off on a day I was due to teach scheduled classes.  (Similar to what DMC and Teng Ai Hui have said).

18 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

I would certainly not expect to take a day off on a day I was due to teach scheduled classes.  (Similar to what DMC and Teng Ai Hui have said).

Yeah.  I've only canceled class twice in around a decade of teaching.  One was cuz I was attending a conference, the other was this January when I had to take my brother to the ER.  As I said, I think it'd be unprofessional to cancel a class due to a "personal day."  But in both cases I did not feel the need to notify my "supervisors," such as they are, because there was no expectation to do so.  Just notified the students and moved on.  I imagine it's different for K-12/under 18.  

Crazy conspiracy idiots on the bird are spreading the news the smoke in NYC is from a dirty bomb and something something sonic boom among other things.  Please conspiracy idiots, just shut up and go away.  

28 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Crazy conspiracy idiots on the bird are spreading the news the smoke in NYC is from a dirty bomb and something something sonic boom among other things.  Please conspiracy idiots, just shut up and go away.  

Lol, I understand that the headline today in the NY Post (?) is “Blame Canada”. 

My fascist sister in Denver blames ME. I did this so that I could make her and where she lives look less important than me and where I live.  I. Kid. You. NOT.  Besides nobody suffered like she did in Colorado wildfires, what we're going through here is nothing at all in comparison.  I. Kid. You. NOT.

Everything bad that happens is deliberately created to victimize her and make her suffer.  Like I made covid so she couldn't take a cruise to Europe and see the Alhambra -- never mind that ocean cruise ships can't go up the Guadalquiver River and that one must reserve tickets and buy them months ahead of time to the Alhambra.  I did it, and then, I went and did what I wouldn't let her do by making a pandemic.

We'd seemed to have a rapprochement for a while. But us going to Spain, and planning another for 2024 has sent her around the bend, yet again.