Who do you feel or think is the most underrated or unappreciated character in the series.

Lady Stonehearts Simp

On 3/1/2023 at 3:57 AM, Shi Qiang said:

People have underestimated Viserys.  He survived the mean streets of the Free Cities while taking care of a precious little girl. 

I don't think he did.  He was never on the streets.  You take the "beggar king" epithet too literally.

On 3/6/2023 at 3:36 PM, White Night said:

unnoticed is a more apt description of this character.

Reading books, studying the stars and passion for breeding animals are all very wise interests.

Willas! :wub: My sweetie pie. One of my favorite quotes in the books is..

Tywin: Willas is heir to Highgarden, and by all reports a mild and courtly young man, fond of reading books and looking at the stars. He has a passion for breeding animals as well, and owns the finest hounds, hawks, and horses in the Seven Kingdoms.

Tyrion: *musing* a perfect match. Cersei also has a passion for breeding.

He's good friends (or was) with Prince Oberyn, a man who intentionally ruffles feathers with just about every person he interacts with. Littlefinger trying to get Willas out of Sansa's mind by saying he "would have bored her spitless" convinces me that he's probably the shit. Plus, it sounds like he and Sansa share a lot of interests. Willas is also competently running the Reach in his father's/grandmother's absence, and of course Cersei immediately blames him for Euron's invasion of the Shield Islands.

I'd like to add Sam Tarly. I know he's pretty disliked for being whiny and a coward, but I really love his character specifically for the subtle growth and small moments of courage. I think he's going to continue to grow and find more courage from here. (And I'm hoping he and Willas meet in Winds.)

A shout-out to some of the young people:

Meera Reed - She's the one holding their little band together.  She's keeping them alive and making the big decisions.  She did allow Bran to decide on their goal, but the rest has been up to her.  She's brave, smart, loyal, a great outdoorsman, and more important for Bran's success than she gets credit for.

Podrick Payne - He's loyal and persistent.  He still wants to be with Tyrion despite feeling abandoned, and he managed to follow Brienne halfway across the Crownlands in the hopes that she would lead him to Sansa, and therefore Tyrion.  The kid doesn't know the meaning of quit.  That doggedness will serve him well in future.

Jeyne Poole - She's still standing and sane, despite suffering physical and sexual abuse the likes of which I don't want to contemplate.  And she's only 13 or so.  She may not be strong, but she is certainly resilient.  I think she'll hang around and make things interesting.  Littlefinger, look out! 

Strong Belwas is highly appreciated but very underrated.  He meets one of your two criteria.  Read the part when Belwas won the duel for Dany.  The big man has very impressive skills.  Just think about the skill and coordination needed to block the lance with what amounts to a small saucer.  Belwas would rank highly on any list of fighting men. 

On 6/12/2023 at 10:29 PM, Hugorfonics said:

The Bear. Another man capable of drafting his own decisions, able to oversee a global campaign from a bird's eye view, or go through battle strategies to take a city or a aquire an army or simply exuberating unparalleled tactics and ends battles personally through his prowess.

I don't share your implied belief in his noble mein (my guess is that he arrived at Selhorys with assistance from Yunkai- or at least, the sellswords that remained loyal to Yunkai, and that his horse came from Khal Pono, and he has done deals with and advised both, and Pono is going to burn Selhorys, and if he doesn't get her assassinated on the third attempt, he plans to have Dany as his slave - or possibly, in his mind, to recapture his slave, the dragon queen,) but there is no denying Ser Jorah's ability to fight, to plan, perhaps to lead?

The question mark is because I don't see many instances of him leading, aside from cruelly dragging Tyrion in chains along the harbor in Volantis. Or his nominal command of the Unsullied and the freed slave companies of Astapor and Yunkai, as Dany's First Sword. (Although, from the first, Blue Worm commands the Unsullied, and the Freedmen have elected leaders, and none of the sellsword companies show any sign of acknowledging Jorah as their supreme commander or anyones commander. But the former slaves are more deferential.

Jorah was born the son of a minor Lord under the aegis of House Stark. But far enough from Winterfell to regard himself as the heir to all he could see, and therefore entitled to the wives and daughters of other men.

He doesn't lead in battle either. He was behind Thoros into the breach at Pyke. He despises any kind of foolhardy valiance as a mercenary fighter.

But even in non-fighting roles: He was more a useful hanger-on than a member of Khal Drogo's khalasar, more a fixer than a plenipotentiary at Dany's engagement party.

He betrays Eddard Stark's rule by selling citizens to slavers. He betrays King Robert, who knighted him, by taking up the Targaryen cause in exile. He fought with the Titan's bastard against Braavos in the disputed lands for slavers coin. Leaving his wife to debt and slavery, returning with only enough coin to keep his sword and his horse, with some negotiation.

He takes the role of Viserys's valet, and betrays him, leading directly to his death (How could he have had access to his sword if Jorah had been acting in his interest? How would he even know there were new sellswords to plot with in the caravan, if Jorah had not told him?)

I think the wineseller was probably a contact of Petyr Baelish, and Jorah's involvement in that was limited to being tipped off by Varys to the existance of the King's contract (although, given the main prize was a Lordship in Westeros, I can't help thinking that Baelish was targeting Jorah specifically when he drafted it).

Still, the man is obsessed with selling Dany's dragon eggs (much more so than Viserys ever was), and once they hatched, there was the assassination attempt by the Sorry Man (that Arstan thwarted, to Jorah's chagrin). At Yunkai, Jorah's advice was against attacking 'early' or employing Daario and the Stormcrows at all.

He was the first to return from the battle outside Yunkai, but he has positive knowledge on Grazdan having returned to Yunkai with terms, and Mero fleeing when the Stormcrows turned.

I believe he let them escape. It defies belief that a "towering" green-eyed ginger already known to Jorah (and Arstan) could just melt into her freedmen by shaving his beard. And Jorah's reaction to Mero's assassination attempt is just too free of personal accountability. Not to mention, he tries to turn this into proof of Barristan betraying her, again.

There is no doubting his intelligence, his competence, his military skills, but he only leads slaves. He has long form for selling free people into slavery, and for slave trading, over and over. He has betrayed his leiges and employers over and over (Eddard, Robert, Viserys, Varys, Illyrio, his father). 

He has influential connexions aplenty, but no friends that I can see. I suspect the reason we never see him leading free men is because he would only lead them into slavery. 

He is coming back (Dany owes him a dragon-forged sword, and there are plenty of other signs that his business with her is unfinished).

We know from the way he rudely shouldered through the Red God's service, and from the mutual contempt in his exchange with the Widow of the Waterfront, that he is not working for R'hollr or for the pro-Dany resistance.

We know he still feels entitled to just enslave people, by his taking of Tyrion. As a "gift" for the Breaker of Chains. Voraggo's widow explains his inconsistencies. Tyrion blasts the plan, as far as he is able to put it together from what Jorah says.

Jorah isn't joining the Gold Company to fight under a Targaryen banner for Westeros and regain his home and lordship, as he once claimed to Dany was his heart's desire. He isn't interested in being recruited by the Yunkai or the Volantenes to join the battle against Dany, either.

It has become important to Jorah to get to Meereen with Tyrion before anyone else does. I don't think his smouldering resentment against the "little fool" is abated, and every time Dany convinces herself that he is "her bear" and protector, I feel she has earnt the epithet. His failure to spot, prevent, stop the assassination attempts on her show me he is, at the very least, an ill-chosen Queensguard. His habitual turn of cloak makes him an inherently unreliable protector.

Tyrion also attributes loving feelings to Jorah's behaviour re. Dany. He notes that Jorah is crushed when he learns that Dany has married Hizdhar "He came too late".

But too late for what? Jorah was never going to marry Dany. Technically, his wife still lives. And Dany would never. Not only because she has no desire for him - Hizdhar shows us she can marry without desire, if Drogo didn't. Dany is a queen. Her heart might be tempted by the notion of marrying a cut-throat sell-sword like Daario, but her subjects ... she would never voluntarily make such a lousy dynastic choice. Jorah is absolutely a worse choice even than Daario, who for all his women, does not seem to have taken any wives. 

No, I think the reason he came too late is because he arrived after the Yunkai had signed the peace. Before that, his worth as an envoy for the Yunkai and Daenerys was incalculable. After, it was nothing. Hizdhar had won Meereen.

But by the time he found his way to Brown Ben's camp, Jorah could see that it was going to be war, and could assess very nicely the chances of both the city and the beseigers. Fighting is what he knows, slaving is what he knows, cloak-turning is what he knows. 

The widow of the Waterfront thinks he is after dragons. I think she might be right.

Daenerys is not on the scene, it is Barristan that leads the council. Jorah has his personal grievances against Barry (for so presumptuously saving Dany's life under a false name) but he also has a general loathing for the high honour of Lords like Barristan (and Eddard Stark).

He seems to have more respect for Rhaegar, at least to Dany's face. But even then, he is the one who reminds her 'Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."

Not a hero, but definitely underrated.

Edited by Walda

6 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Waymar Royce really isn't brought up as much as he should, both in the books and the forums. The guy was brave enough to 1v6 White Walkers and literally started a war against the Others by attacking their envoys.

Waymar also has excellent reasoning skills, although he lacked the instincts of Will and Gared, and was unnecessarily nasty to Gared, and seemed to be playing favourites, and other obnoxiously arrogant games that serve to divide a team of only three unnecessarily.

His fight was hopeless, but brave. Ironically, Gared was the one he saved - until Gared got caught on the wrong side of the wall, that is.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, Walda said:

I don't share your implied belief in his noble mein (my guess is that he arrived at Selhorys with assistance from Yunkai- or at least, the sellswords that remained loyal to Yunkai, and that his horse came from Khal Pono, and he has done deals with and advised both, and Pono is going to burn Selhorys, and if he doesn't get her assassinated on the third attempt, he plans to have Dany as his slave - or possibly, in his mind, to recapture his slave, the dragon queen,)

I certainly dont share your belief that Jorah was such a villain in between books 3 and 5. Mainly because when he was talking to the Lady by the water she demanded honesty and didnt stop until Jorah shared his Shrek like plans of being a valiant knight saving a lady in distress.

The question mark is because I don't see many instances of him leading, aside from cruelly dragging Tyrion in chains along the harbor in Volantis. Or his nominal command of the Unsullied and the freed slave companies of Astapor and Yunkai, as Dany's First Sword. (Although, from the first, Blue Worm commands the Unsullied, and the Freedmen have elected leaders, and none of the sellsword companies show any sign of acknowledging Jorah as their supreme commander or anyones commander. But the former slaves are more deferential.

For all extensive purposes I think we can assume the sack of Aspator was largley Jorahs creation. Obviously the plan originated with Dany but she sought the advice and sword of Jorah and her Bloodriders. And while these are brave and courages warriors and Dany later proves herself to be something of a military genius, I think its nonsensical to believe Jorah wasnt instrumental in nearly ever aspect of that particular battle. 
As far as the nominal command goes, I think absolutely. Barri has now largely usurped Jorahs role and we see him commanding Unsullied and Dothraki. In regards to the sellswords, Ben relishes at calling Jorah without the respect of his station which insinuates that once upon a time Jorah was their asshole strict boss, which is why Bens sidekicks start freaking out.

Jorah was born the son of a minor Lord under the aegis of House Stark. But far enough from Winterfell to regard himself as the heir to all he could see, and therefore entitled to the wives and daughters of other men.

Why do you think that?

He doesn't lead in battle either. He was behind Thoros into the breach at Pyke. He despises any kind of foolhardy valiance as a mercenary fighter.

As he should. 

He betrays Eddard Stark's rule by selling citizens to slavers. He betrays King Robert, who knighted him, by taking up the Targaryen cause in exile. He fought with the Titan's bastard against Braavos in the disputed lands for slavers coin. Leaving his wife to debt and slavery, returning with only enough coin to keep his sword and his horse, with some negotiation.

Not a heroic backstory. Which imo makes his path of redemption only more special

He takes the role of Viserys's valet, and betrays him, leading directly to his death (How could he have had access to his sword if Jorah had been acting in his interest? How would he even know there were new sellswords to plot with in the caravan, if Jorah had not told him?)

What could he have done? Id hardly call it a betrayal (as if thats a bad thing) though. Its his sword, should he have taken his belt? If Viserys acts did you find any forigeners at the forigen market, what should Jorah say?

I think the wineseller was probably a contact of Petyr Baelish, and Jorah's involvement in that was limited to being tipped off by Varys to the existance of the King's contract (although, given the main prize was a Lordship in Westeros, I can't help thinking that Baelish was targeting Jorah specifically when he drafted it)

Yeah I dont think thats disputed. Im not sure about Petyr specifically, Id think it would stay the Spider, but whatever. All the same

He was the first to return from the battle outside Yunkai, but he has positive knowledge on Grazdan having returned to Yunkai with terms, and Mero fleeing when the Stormcrows turned.

I believe he let them escape. It defies belief that a "towering" green-eyed ginger already known to Jorah (and Arstan) could just melt into her freedmen by shaving his beard. And Jorah's reaction to Mero's assassination attempt is just too free of personal accountability. Not to mention, he tries to turn this into proof of Barristan betraying her, agai

I think thats just silly. He returned quickly because Danys war plans were decisive and the enemy was utterly routed.
That he would let Mero escape has no positive spin to it, why would he do that? If Jorah wanted to maliciously betray her he would have done it in Qarth

There is no doubting his intelligence, his competence, his military skills, but he only leads slaves. He has long form for selling free people into slavery, and for slave trading, over and over. He has betrayed his leiges and employers over and over (Eddard, Robert, Viserys, Varys, Illyrio, his father). 

Breaking the law is hardly a betrayal nor is freeing oneself from the Spiders web. About his dad, he brought back the ugly sword, which is all these westeros lords really care for. As far as his slaving record goes, as of the sack of Meereen it stopped and Jorah became one of the leading abolitionists even if reluctant. 

We know he still feels entitled to just enslave people, by his taking of Tyrion. As a "gift" for the Breaker of Chains. Voraggo's widow explains his inconsistencies. Tyrion blasts the plan, as far as he is able to put it together from what Jorah says.

Its a half assed plan to be sure, but to compare Tyrions capture to enslavement I think is a bit drastic. Hes a prisoner of war like his brother was.
Regarding still, is also a new Jorah. One thats covered in the marks of a troublesome slave as he himself is a runaway, so its not like his comeuppance didnt catch up with him and I believe this most recent venture will push him further into his abolitionist career 

Jorah isn't joining the Gold Company to fight under a Targaryen banner for Westeros and regain his home and lordship, as he once claimed to Dany was his heart's desire. He isn't interested in being recruited by the Yunkai or the Volantenes to join the battle against Dany, either.

Of course not. We know what he wants, to fight for her personally.

It has become important to Jorah to get to Meereen with Tyrion before anyone else does. I don't think his smouldering resentment against the "little fool" is abated, and every time Dany convinces herself that he is "her bear" and protector, I feel she has earnt the epithet. His failure to spot, prevent, stop the assassination attempts on her show me he is, at the very least, an ill-chosen Queensguard. His habitual turn of cloak makes him an inherently unreliable protector.

Because he wants to save her. As hes done numerous times in the past. Just because somebody else is capable of that doesnt invalidate his position as lord commander

Tyrion also attributes loving feelings to Jorah's behaviour re. Dany. He notes that Jorah is crushed when he learns that Dany has married Hizdhar "He came too late".

But too late for what? Jorah was never going to marry Dany. Technically, his wife still lives. And Dany would never. Not only because she has no desire for him - Hizdhar shows us she can marry without desire, if Drogo didn't. Dany is a queen. Her heart might be tempted by the notion of marrying a cut-throat sell-sword like Daario, but her subjects ... she would never voluntarily make such a lousy dynastic choice. Jorah is absolutely a worse choice even than Daario, who for all his women, does not seem to have taken any wives. 

Tyrion doesnt seem like the type of guy whod freak out over a guy with two wives. And for that matter Targaryen doesnt strike me as the type of gal whod freak out with two husbands. 
The beauty of Targaryen dragon like diplomacy is that their subjects input isnt that important. Daario would raise eye brows, Jorah less so. But the whole worlds in love with her, just ask her hand maidens.

No, I think the reason he came too late is because he arrived after the Yunkai had signed the peace. Before that, his worth as an envoy for the Yunkai and Daenerys was incalculable. After, it was nothing. Hizdhar had won Meereen.

Yea. Both. 

But by the time he found his way to Brown Ben's camp, Jorah could see that it was going to be war, and could assess very nicely the chances of both the city and the beseigers. Fighting is what he knows, slaving is what he knows, cloak-turning is what he knows

If Jorah wants to be king slaver like you suggest he wouldnt recommend changing sides

The widow of the Waterfront thinks he is after dragons. I think she might be right.

If thats truly what she thought she would never have sent him off

Daenerys is not on the scene, it is Barristan that leads the council. Jorah has his personal grievances against Barry (for so presumptuously saving Dany's life under a false name) but he also has a general loathing for the high honour of Lords like Barristan (and Eddard Stark).

Who doesnt? Although Jorahs certainly a snob as well, although there is none snobbier then Barristan (except Eddard Stark)

He seems to have more respect for Rhaegar, at least to Dany's face. But even then, he is the one who reminds her 'Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."

Not a hero, but definitely underrated.

I wouldnt say he had respect for Rhegar, if anything that phrase is awfully dismissive. 
Ser Jorah is a pragmatist, he sees the world for what it is, not black and white but covered in red. For an advisor like her bloodriders or captains to be so cold and pragmatic is an ace for Dany. It allows her to follow with his schemes or to slightly twist them to her design, which is often brilliant. Is Jorah the greatest hero who ever lived? No, thats Dany. But does he deserve to be in the conversation a step above the Bloodriders or Ser Snobistan, absolutely.

The bastard. But don't call him that. 

Started from the bottom now we're here, eghh

Mom tell me the story on how you and dad met... Well that's fucked up. Fast forward 9 months and Roose was like this baby is totally going down this particularly deep well. His eyes stayed Rooses toss. Tyrion likes to congratulate himself that Tywin wasnt Dothraki but Ramsay was saved with a wink. 

If Ramsays step father was around he didn't say anything, for all extensive purposes Ramsay was raised by a single mother until his sweet 16 and his fathers present of Reek. Perhaps he thought it was a joke, hysterical. (Although this Daddy wasn't there, to take me to the fair, doesn't really play out as Ramsays father taught him a flayed mad holds no secrets, so when?)

Now through fear and treachery Ramsay has conquered the north in his father's name and through his machinations his father's name is now his, which doesn't bode well for the longevity of his father's life. 

But it's more then his resume. We knew Viserys the creep or Janos the ambitious, Gregor the addict and Joff the child (not in the sense of being all 13 but in the sense of being super fucking childish) or even, we know count dracula and vader, hannibal lector, mike corleone and captain hook, and none of em are like the bastard. This dude is legit scary, as a grown adult reading pages of fiction my heart races. Definitely underappreciated imo in terms of his carbon footprint, his brilliance and courage, his stories arc and of course his dialogue and on screen actions 

Edited by Hugorfonics

Probably Rhaegar.

I'm not his stan or something, but i'm shocked at how evil, one-dimensional/cartoonish villain Rhaegar is being portrayed in the fandom. Like how does he get ALL the blame for starting a war and being responsible for his wife/children death and Aerys/Lannisters and co who actually DID THE DEED, get away with literally everything? it's strange. And we still don't know anything about this guy (i hope GRRM is gonna finish the books).

I think that once a fandom sets an agenda on how each character should be perceived and interpreted, most people won’t go against it. Imo, GRRM is a better writer than that.

Edited by Legion88

3 minutes ago, Legion88 said:

Like how does he get ALL the blame for starting a war and being responsible for his wife/children death and Aerys/Lannisters and co who actually DID THE DEED, get away with literally everything?

I don't know about Aerys and the Lannisters getting away with everything, I've seen plenty of people criticise them too. Rhaegar gets the blame for starting the war because, well, he kind of did start it by kidnapping/running away with Lyanna, which lead to all the other bad stuff happening in the first place. Now I doubt Rhaegar intentionally meant to start a war (and war might have started anyway because Aerys was becoming increasingly unstable), but really, he should have known better. What did he think would happen when he took and ran off with Lyanna? Now he might have thought it was 100% necessary to save the world or whatever, but since nothing about that has been confirmed either way I shall reserve judgment.

On 6/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I don't know about Aerys and the Lannisters getting away with everything, I've seen plenty of people criticise them too. Rhaegar gets the blame for starting the war because, well, he kind of did start it by kidnapping/running away with Lyanna, which lead to all the other bad stuff happening in the first place. Now I doubt Rhaegar intentionally meant to start a war (and war might have started anyway because Aerys was becoming increasingly unstable), but really, he should have known better. What did he think would happen when he took and ran off with Lyanna? Now he might have thought it was 100% necessary to save the world or whatever, but since nothing about that has been confirmed either way I shall reserve judgment.

Whats even more bizzare is he doesnt seem to have reached out to robert or ned etc at all. He clearly believed  his kid with lyanna was the key to the song of ice and fire which would save westeros BUT he  clearly assumed this meant as king of a still ruling targ dynasty (the balance of forces on the ground at rebellions start would reinforce that belief too)

So instead of contacting even his future/current brother in law and explaining the situation he decides hel beat them in battle THEN  somehow overthrow   the dangerously paranoid aerys despite just smashing any backing hed have and reinforcing the aerys loyalists with a huge victory!!

On 6/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, astarkchoice said:

Whats even more bizzare is he doesnt seem to have reached out to robert or ned etc at all. He clearly believed  his kid with lyanna was the key to the song of ice and fire which would save westeros BUT he  clearly assumed this meant as king of a still ruling targ dynasty (the balance of forces on the ground at rebellions start would reinforce that belief too)

So instead of contacting even his future/current brother in law and explaining the situation he decides hel beat them in battle THEN  somehow overthrow   the dangerously paranoid aerys despite just smashing any backing hed have and reinforcing the aerys loyalists with a huge victory!!

That’s a good point. He should have approached Ned and Robert and offered them a pardon for their support.