Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

I went to see Shazam! Fury of the Gods. I enjoyed the first film, and enjoyed this one too. They're both a nice contrast to the most of the other overly-serious DC films. It does at times feel like a more typical superhero films than the first one, particularly the sequences with hordes of CGI monsters which I think is the weakest part of the film. The heart of the film is about the main characters having these superpowers but understandably not really knowing how best to use them because they're just a bunch of untrained teens, that aspect works best in the less epic scenes.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I went to see Shazam! Fury of the Gods. I enjoyed the first film, and enjoyed this one too. They're both a nice contrast to the most of the other overly-serious DC films. It does at times feel like a more typical superhero films than the first one, particularly the sequences with hordes of CGI monsters which I think is the weakest part of the film. The heart of the film is about the main characters having these superpowers but understandably not really knowing how best to use them because they're just a bunch of untrained teens, that aspect works best in the less epic scenes.

Agree 100%. I enjoy this for the goofy actions and discovering of what you can do and maybe what you should do, like in the first one the trip to get beer and then the adult club. 

I wish deep-fakes became advanced enough for me to insert Tom Cruise into Amazon's middling but entertaining Reacher series, without changing any of the dialogue. Nearly every single scene in the show references Alan Ritchson's towering size. Imagining the actors all looking down at Cruise while they completely seriously refer to him as "That beast" or "The giant next to you" and all that makes almost every conversation entertaining. Still just love Cruise's audacity to look at Lee Child's character and think "Oh I can do that, sure. I'm totally menacing, you guys."

I doubt I'll ever watch that film (er, films apparently) again, but if I do I'll be laughing the whole time. Except when Werner Herzog is being delightfully evil, I seem to recall really enjoying him despite the absurdity that is Tom Cruise's ego.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I wish deep-fakes became advanced enough for me to insert Tom Cruise into Amazon's middling but entertaining Reacher series, without changing any of the dialogue. Nearly every single scene in the show references Alan Ritchson's towering size. Imagining the actors all looking down at Cruise while they completely seriously refer to him as "That beast" or "The giant next to you" and all that makes almost every conversation entertaining. Still just love Cruise's audacity to look at Lee Child's character and think "Oh I can do that, sure. I'm totally menacing, you guys."

I doubt I'll ever watch that film (er, films apparently) again, but if I do I'll be laughing the whole time. Except when Werner Herzog is being delightfully evil, I seem to recall really enjoying him despite the absurdity that is Tom Cruise's ego.

Yeah when I first heard he was playing Reacher I was like, uh...6'5 Tom Cruise.... nope.  Really it's too bad because Cruise is a good actor and can carry a series but it was just so hard to see him in it knowing half of the text in the books seems to center around his menacing size and strength. The actor in the Amazon series fits the physical bill but doesn't have Cruise' charisma. And I'm ok with that, anxiously awaiting the next Reacher season.

13 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Going there now. I'm not sure yet if I'll like it or not, but as a long-time player I have to support the brand. Plus, I think it's set in Forgotten Realms?

Saw this tonight, and I want to see it again as soon as possible. That was a spectacular filmgoing experience.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is the most entertaining fantasy movie I've seen in a while. 

Saw this tonight and was beside myself with joy. Every single second of that film is a marvel and a delight. 

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is the most entertaining fantasy movie I've seen in a while. 

Between this and Puss in Boots it's been a good few months for unheralded projects coming out of nowhere and being good.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Saw this tonight and was beside myself with joy. Every single second of that film is a marvel and a delight. 

I'm not a D&D person and didn't understand everything that was being said, but even so I was immersed enough to enjoy it. 

Spoiler

The talking corpses scene was a delight.

And Doric in Owlbear form killing the red sorceress was like The Hulk smashing Loki. Hilarious.

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm not a D&D person and didn't understand everything that was being said, but even so I was immersed enough to enjoy it. 

Reveal hidden contents

The talking corpses scene was a delight.

And Doric in Owlbear form killing the red sorceress was like The Hulk smashing Loki. Hilarious.

The second observation in the hidden contents above delighted the hell out of the audience in the cinema I was in. There was clapping, cheering, laughing, whooping, and much delight! 

First discovering D&D on the set of “Freaks and Geeks” at 14 years old, Daley quickly embraced the collaborative and dynamic qualities that make the game so special. It is evident that he held onto these treasured memories while writing and directing the film, because there is a huge amount of heart present while navigating an expansive world filled with seemingly endless imaginative opportunities.

‘Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves’ Review: Magic and Mayhem Reign in This Epic Adaptation
"Game Night" directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein know how to play their cards right.

https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/dungeons-dragons-honor-among-thieves-film-review-1234818367/

On 3/30/2023 at 7:10 PM, Zorral said:

In then meantime I began watching Perry Mason season 2 -- Sean Astin plays a recurring character, who is the opposite of a nice guy.

Oh snap......

Hes that disgusting supermarket guy isnt he...... Just realized it from your post, I hadnt even recognized him lol.

Storm clouds gathered and the earth shooketh as I signed up for the first time for Apple TV+. (7 day free trial offer)

And the first thing I watched was the new movie, Tetris, the real-life story about how Nintendo got the Tetris licensing rights for console and their new Game Boy from the soviets. It was a highly entertaining movie with Taron Egerton playing the titular character, Henk Rogers, and doing a good job of it. Some of the stuff was clearly invented by the movie, but apparently a lot of the crazy stuff did happen.

I went to see Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves as well this weekend. Very enjoyable film in my book. Not a stone cold classic by any means, but just a good, uncomplicated piece of fun. I haven't read any interviews with the creators, but I'm going to assume that these are people who are at least somewhat familiar with the source material and have had some fun memories playing D&D because they were very respectful towards the material. I wouldn't mind more content in this universe from this creative team.

For the rest I watched The Mandalorian's latest episode and I kind of dug it. Still not what it could be (the tactics were awful), but it's the first episode of this season were I felt really engrossed in the setting. I hope they'll continue on this path.

Also rewatched Zoolander. It's never been a favourite of mine, but I have to admit that it is better than what I remembered. Rather funny, although my friends and I were shocked to find that certain lines we quoted from the film actually weren't really said in that way during the film. 

On 3/31/2023 at 10:26 AM, BigFatCoward said:

My local cinema is £6.74 for all non premium seats.  

No fair. I've just checked and it is £9.99 for the 'super standard' at our local cinema. That said, I wouldn't sit in a superior standard if I could sit in a recliner/fancypants seat. Mostly because I always sit in the back row so that nobody can kick the back of my seat or loom around behind me. On the plus side the cinema is about three minutes walk from the house.

Last night we watched Coherence because I got talking about it on Twitter the night before and my husband thought he hadn't seen it. About 3/4 of the way through he realised that he HAD seen it before. It was still good second time around and it gave me a craving to watch Primer again.

After that we watched a 1945 version of And Then There Were None, which would have been fine in terms of story. Performances were so-so. But the visuals, the shaky technicolour appearance of it, gave me eyestrain. When I checked on IMDB there have been something like 8 or 9 different adaptations of this one over the years.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Storm clouds gathered and the earth shooketh as I signed up for the first time for Apple TV+. (7 day free trial offer)

And the first thing I watched was the new movie, Tetris, the real-life story about how Nintendo got the Tetris licensing rights for console and their new Game Boy from the soviets. It was a highly entertaining movie with Taron Egerton playing the titular character, Henk Rogers, and doing a good job of it. Some of the stuff was clearly invented by the movie, but apparently a lot of the crazy stuff did happen.

I also watched Tetris last night. It’s fun, more so than you’d think about someone getting a deal to licence a game. The whole tone of the movie suggests the audience is not meant to take much as literal recreation of events, but that cartoony tone sorta worked. It’s not like you can look at fat suit Robert Maxwell and think it’s a documentary. 

Maybe it tried a little too hard to tie it altogether with the end of the Soviets and make it all seem joined up but hey, that’s fine. 

37 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I also watched Tetris last night. It’s fun, more so than you’d think about someone getting a deal to licence a game. The whole tone of the movie suggests the audience is not meant to take much as literal recreation of events, but that cartoony tone sorta worked. It’s not like you can look at fat suit Robert Maxwell and think it’s a documentary. 

Maybe it tried a little too hard to tie it altogether with the end of the Soviets and make it all seem joined up but hey, that’s fine. 

The movie tried it, too, between the line that government dude tells Alexey (The man who almost destroyed the Soviet Union) and the images at the end.

Archived