GOT Musings

The Bard of Banefort

I mentioned this a week or two ago in the MCU thread but this might be a better place for it. I haven’t watched Secret Invasion, but I keep hearing it’s a dud. With three high profile flops in a row (Terminator, Star Wars, and now Marvel) does this make Emilia the least lucky actor alive or the most lucky? Starring in three previously unassailable franchises is genuinely incredible, yet she still keeps getting cast in them, so she must be doing something right.

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 11:59 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I mentioned this a week or two ago in the MCU thread but this might be a better place for it. I haven’t watched Secret Invasion, but I keep hearing it’s a dud. With three high profile flops in a row (Terminator, Star Wars, and now Marvel) does this make Emilia the least lucky actor alive or the most lucky? Starring in three previously unassailable franchises is genuinely incredible, yet she still keeps getting cast in them, so she must be doing something right.

Emilia is so effortlessly funny, I'd love to see her in more comedies. Or horror, because I liked her in Voice from the Stone. She's very talented imo, but I feel like casting directors tend to get stuck on an actor's most famous performance and aren't willing to branch out.

This is off point, but I'm already seeing an idea being pushed of Emilia's G'iah being "the most powerful being in MCU." Is that accurate? I know they did the same with Captain Marvel. I though the Scarlet Witch was the most powerful. Or perhaps even Thor. I'm not a big fan of Marvel, so I don't know.

What’s the deal with Cersei telling Catelyn that she and Robert lost a black-haired child once? Many show watchers were thrown off by this and believed for a long time that Jon Snow was actually that child.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

On 10/15/2023 at 6:17 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

What’s the deal with Cersei telling Catelyn that she and Robert lost a black-haired child once? Many show watchers were thrown off by this and believed for a long time that Jon Snow was actually that child.

I think they just included it to humanize Cersei, then basically retconned it when they decided to include the Maggy the Frog prophecy. Originally they didn’t want to do any flashbacks.

On 10/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think they just included it to humanize Cersei, then basically retconned it when they decided to include the Maggy the Frog prophecy. Originally they didn’t want to do any flashbacks.

They were desperate to whitewash the Lannisters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 6:17 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

There's also a theory that Cersei is Gendry's mother and she hid him away so that only her children with Jaime would inherit.

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-cersei-gendry-mother-theory-explained/

First four seasons were so good. I still have a lot of respect for David Benioff and Dan Weiss even with how they completely dropped the ball at the end.

Still can't get over how lazy and ill-conceived season 8 was. So many characters ruined; smart characters (Varrys, Tyrion) made dumb; heroic characters (Jon) made pathetic; characters like Jamie who evolved throughout the series suddenly regressing to season 1 mode.

And of course, the ultimate crime, what they did to Dany. Don't give me this "well she killed some slavers and burnt Sam's dad so she was clearly evil all along" BS. The showrunners decided to build her up as this savior throughout the series with her epic theme music, but they supposedly knew what would happen at the end, so they were basically playing a massive prank on the audience.

If she becomes more tyrannical in the books then I'm sure it will be better done. 

Further proof that, yes, media companies do try to find ways to control the narrative online:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/hbo-casey-bloys-secret-twitter-trolls-tv-critics-leaked-texts-lawsuit-the-idol-1234867722/

The first example cited is from 2020, which makes me think that the GOT backlash probably played a direct role in creating this strategy.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:49 PM, Darryk said:

First four seasons were so good. I still have a lot of respect for David Benioff and Dan Weiss even with how they completely dropped the ball at the end.

Still can't get over how lazy and ill-conceived season 8 was. So many characters ruined; smart characters (Varrys, Tyrion) made dumb; heroic characters (Jon) made pathetic; characters like Jamie who evolved throughout the series suddenly regressing to season 1 mode.

And of course, the ultimate crime, what they did to Dany. Don't give me this "well she killed some slavers and burnt Sam's dad so she was clearly evil all along" BS. The showrunners decided to build her up as this savior throughout the series with her epic theme music, but they supposedly knew what would happen at the end, so they were basically playing a massive prank on the audience.

If she becomes more tyrannical in the books then I'm sure it will be better done. 

Dany didn’t even have to be tyrannical, to be an antagonist to the Starks, based upon their differing political goals.

A conflict doesn’t have to be a fight between good and evil.  If say, you made a series around the Waterloo campaign, you could make all of Napoleon, Wellington, Blucher, and Ney, and their soldiers, fairly sympathetic, without the need to demonise any of them.

But that would good writing and characterisation, rather than showrunners just wanting to “subvert expectations.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 7:08 AM, SeanF said:

Dany didn’t even have to be tyrannical, to be an antagonist to the Starks, based upon their differing political goals.

A conflict doesn’t have to be a fight between good and evil.  If say, you made a series around the Waterloo campaign, you could make all of Napoleon, Wellington, Blucher, and Ney, and their soldiers, fairly sympathetic, without the need to demonise any of them.

But that would good writing and characterisation, rather than showrunners just wanting to “subvert expectations.”

I don't imagine Daenerys being reasonable with the Starks, she already shouted down Barristan's attempt to reason with her on that score.

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I don't imagine Daenerys being reasonable with the Starks, she already shouted down Barristan's attempt to reason with her on that score.

Sure, she might not be reasonable from our armchair, but I can see a (more nuanced) conflict over Dany ruling in the South, wanting the North (and conflict between Arya/Sansa and Jon) and the White Walkers showing up. The White Walkers should be playing a big role in pushing them to try and ally with anyone with a big army. 

17 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

People have different ideas of reasonable.

The Starks could see Northern independence as reasonable.  She might see the head of House Stark giving her fealty, in return for being granted rule over the North, as reasonable.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 2:13 PM, Angel Eyes said:

She did not shout down Barristan's attempts to reason with her

Barristan's attempts to reason with her were weak and he gave up. Barristan doesn't actually get a backbone until he agrees to help overthrow Hizdahr.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:33 PM, SeanF said:

People have different ideas of reasonable.

The Starks could see Northern independence as reasonable.  She might see the head of House Stark giving her fealty, in return for being granted rule over the North, as reasonable.

Not even that

It could be something as trivial as Dany wanting Jon to go out on progresses with her all the time while the Starks want Jon to spend more time with them at home.

This kind of stuff (unfortunately) happens in families all the time. And it almost always descends into a resentful "why are you even with her anyways, she is _____" or "they are using you so that they can ______" or "he told me that you ______"

And then before you know it, what would've been a lovely Christmas dinner turns into a bloody UFC cage-fight.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking back at the Tamzin Merchant recasting mystery, I would guess that the most likely reason she was replaced was probably just that she wanted more money. It would explain why everyone was so cagey about the recasting (salaries aren’t something that’s really discussed publicly), and why the other “established actresses” who were offered the role before Emilia turned it down. Pretty much all of the young cast in season one were unknowns who likely weren’t getting paid much by Hollywood standards. (And just speaking from my own experience in the job market, I have definitely noticed that the lower I put my “desired salary” on a job application, the more likely I am to get an interview. I’ve heard similar things from other people.)

Edited by The Bard of Banefort