WWWatching

TheLastWolf

Listen to this weird man with an unhealthy fear of the Miami Heat:

Also, gotta love getting a free week trial of Paramount+, going to cancel it and getting two more free months. Just have to remember to cancel it in July.

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Most days I read a page or two and immediately forget it. Long Covid sucks. 

Urgh. I'm sorry, that must be absolutely horrible. Do you get on ok with watching stuff though?

Update to my love of Dead Ringers - I just listened to the Soundtracking podcast episode on this show and that was also quite nice. It's only half an hour and they weren't allowed to discuss the composed music for the show only the pre-existing tracks that were selected, but still interesting though. Would recommend.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Urgh. I'm sorry, that must be absolutely horrible. Do you get on ok with watching stuff though?

Not really. I just listen to a lot of stuff without really watching so I'm pretty deep into B horror films and other junk I don't care about. Also oddly reaction videos on YouTube which I'd otherwise never watch, but anything that can make me laugh is a win.

Into the late 1950s for me.

I was vaguely aware that Hitchcock made Rear Window (a little twisted), followed by Vertigo a few years later (extremely twisted) and then a few years after that, he made Psycho.   You could see the progression.

Now, I was aware he made movies between those but I didn't realise that North by Northwest was one of them (Vertigo didn't do very well at the time unsurprisingly, so it probably was a reaction to that).  In fact, it is hard to imagine a movie that was more different from Vertigo than North by Northwest (and still be a Hitchcock movie).  A great caper.  The scene in the auction house was hilarious and it has several other stand out scenes.

In fact, hard to imagine any other director had ever made 3 movies in 3 years that would stand the test of time like Vertigo, North by Northwest and Psycho (although, I haven't watched the latter yet).  Quite different in their own ways.  And just to say again, I had seen Vertigo before but i'm still shocked at how twisted it is.  I doubt James Stewart ever played a darker character.

I also saw Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum.  You can see how it would be quite influential for directors.  Decent movie but I wonder do you need to be more in touch with the religious experience in the US to really appreciate it.

And I saw Ten Commandments.  Might have been the first of those big Biblical/Roman epic movies that came out in the 1950s and 60s.  I really liked the first half of the movie but once it reached the story we are all familiar with, less impactful.  I'm sure at the time the special effects wowed people though.  Heston was also very good.

And another classic.  12 Angry Men.  I had seen this movie years ago but first thing that struck me this time was that it was a little surprising that all male juries was still relatively normal in the late 1950s.  Anyhow, very simple story, very well told.

In the list of Hitchcock movies you forgot Marnie and Frenzie which more or less fit into the twisted movies. Marnie being on the lighter side of things starring Sean Connery and Tippi Hedren.

On that note: Hedren is still alive, which kinda surprised me.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

31 minutes ago, Padraig said:

And I saw Ten Commandments.  Might have been the first of those big Biblical/Roman epic movies that came out in the 1950s and 60s.  I really liked the first half of the movie but once it reached the story we are all familiar with, less impactful.  I'm sure at the time the special effects wowed people though.  Heston was also very good.

I'll always have crushes on Anne Baxter and Yvonne De Carlo because of this movie. 

And if you're on a Hitchcock kick, make sure to see Rope as it can often get overlooked. 

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In the list of Hitchcock movies you forgot Marnie and Frenzie which more or less fit into the twisted movies. Marnie being on the lighter side of things starring Sean Connery and Tippi Hedren.

True.  I wasn't been very comprehensive. I was thinking of the more acclaimed Hitchcock movies and I had created a story in my head about them.  Marnie and Frenzy are probably viewed as later lesser Hitchcock.  But I might give them a go.  Although, I should go back and watch early Hitchcock like Rope first.

59 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Putting in a word for Hitchcock's first US movie:  Rebecca.  Joan Fontaine, Lawrence Olivier, Geoge Sanders, Judith Anderson as the best Mrs. Danvers of all time.

I've never seen this one. Seems like the only way to watch it is on YouTube. There's a 2020 remake too with Armie Hammer as the male lead which only adds to the creep factor for that version. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've never seen this one. Seems like the only way to watch it is on YouTube. There's a 2020 remake too with Armie Hammer as the male lead which only adds to the creep factor for that version. 

It's on at least one of the free streaming channels, but the quality isn't that great.  TCM shows it every so often.  It's well worth a watch.  

Queen Charlotte, Shondaland's prequel to Bridgerton.  4 episodes in.  It really is about the madness of King George, and what it means to have a king who is mad, meaning for the people of the kingdom, as much as for the royal and noble circles.  It also explains the nature of how this woman became queen, and the kingdom's Great Experiment.

I admit to being rather impressed with the imagination employed in this attempt to explain this post-racial world of titles and ton in alternate Brit empire history-fantasy. It's so much more creative than most fantasy these days.  Not saying it's actually plausible, but within the perimeters of the show's world building, it does work.

Recently rewatched The Batman. I remember I gave it a fair review but with my typical snarky backhandedness: correction 

It's pretty good. The new catwoman is the best part, and as I have also recently watched the HarleyQuinn show I think they're on to something with this version of the character. 

I like that Robbert Pamtionsen is such a dork. It makes it easier to take him seriously. Even though I have serious concerns about the ongoing outsourcing of American Hero jobs to foreigners. Was Michael B Jordan busy? Couldn't get him away from Marvel? Didn't he die in those? 

Seriously, can we get an American batman please? Am I stealing this bit? 

I feel like the next next Batman is gonna be a Japanese sex robot.

2 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Recently rewatched The Batman. I remember I gave it a fair review but with my typical snarky backhandedness: correction 

It's pretty good. The new catwoman is the best part, and as I have also recently watched the HarleyQuinn show I think they're on to something with this version of the character. 

I like that Robbert Pamtionsen is such a dork. It makes it easier to take him seriously. Even though I have serious concerns about the ongoing outsourcing of American Hero jobs to foreigners. Was Michael B Jordan busy? Couldn't get him away from Marvel? Didn't he die in those? 

Seriously, can we get an American batman please? Am I stealing this bit? 

I feel like the next next Batman is gonna be a Japanese sex robot.

Yeah, we need an 'Murican hero, we need sum'one like the guy from... The Flash. The Flash is played by an American!!! He's great, amIrit?

Watching American Beauty for the first time since the Kevin Spacey stuff came out is weird as hell. It didn't bother me with L.A. Confidential but yeah this is weird.

32 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Watching American Beauty for the first time since the Kevin Spacey stuff came out is weird as hell. It didn't bother me with L.A. Confidential but yeah this is weird.

Heh, yeah.  You can..or at least I can..definitely compartmentalize that shit with LA Confidential or Usual Suspects or Seven.  But it's almost impossible not to think about it with everything that happens in American Beauty.

Edited by DMC

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yeah, we need an 'Murican hero, we need sum'one like the guy from... The Flash. The Flash is played by an American!!! He's great, amIrit?

I wouldn't know. Isn't he the same boy from the Grindelvald mowies?